“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barbeque Castell

Barbeque Castell
Lijnbaansgracht 252-254, 1017 RK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)
020-6228606
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

The experience of dining at Castells cannot be duplicated. The many times i have enjoyed, the best ribs i have eaten, have never been anything but phenomenol. Over the years i have enjoyed the casual and unique ambiance more times than i can add up. Unlike any experience youve had dining out, this one will not be forgotten. Be sure to make reservations as every night is the busiest night of the week. Enjoy.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
“Nice experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I went to BBQ Castell based upon a recommendation. I really enjoyed my experience here. We sat near the grill and watched the grillman make great steaks all night. The service is really attentive and friendly.

I ended up ordering the veal with roquefort sauce but I think it was a mistake. I ordered it b/c I love blue cheese but the steak was not memorable at all. My friend ordered the gaucho and he said that he's definitely had better in the past. For all of the hype of this place I felt as if it doesnt deliver on the "amazing steak place" promise. Still, I thought it was very good and I would go back and order something else to see if I simply ordered incorrectly the first time.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A really interesting dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I absolutely loved this restaurant! We sat on a large wrap-around couch by the fireplace, and there were two other groups of people on the couch (though it's so large we weren't sitting right next to each other so didn't feel awkward). They bring your food out on a large wooden platter (they give you a towel to put on your lap and a wooden mat) and you basically eat in your lap. It may seem really unappealing to some who prefer more conventional dining experiences, but this is how me and my partner eat at home so we were fine with it. The atmosphere is wonderful, the staff are lovely and the food was excellent. Seriously, the best barbecue I've had (and I'm not even a huge fan of barbecue). The servings are quite large and very filling, I couldn't finish all of mine, though the baked potato was so delicious I nearly threw up trying to shove it all in :P

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great food and service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We headed out quite late for dinner and got turned away from a couple of places and then found Barbeque Castell. We got seated right in front of the grill on a bar style table and some lovely bread with butter and garlic butter was given straight away. I had the mix grill with baked potato and shared a salad. It was so tasty!! The meat was all cooked to perfection. Music was good and the decor was warm and intimate. The wine was also delicious. Some people were eating on the sofas…not sure if I would have enjoyed that as much.

Warwickshire
“Super food - cooked right in front of you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were recommended Castell by the hotel we stayed at as a good place to go after a night of dancing at Paradiso. We thought it was great and were sat right in front of the chef...so were fascinated to see him in action. The food was excellent, we both had steak which was wonderfully cooked and the staff were so friendly and welcoming. We'd definitely go back...although not a particularly quiet and romantic place to go...more for a bit of a party...!