“Very good value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Van Kerkwijk

Van Kerkwijk
Nes 41, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)
+31 20 620 3316
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #40 of 2,485 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: European, Dutch
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Red Light District
Description: Van Kerkwijk, situated at the Nes 41 just behind Dam square, is a classic Amsterdam cafe and restaurant where you can eat and drink from early in the morning till late in the evening. Van Kerkwijk sisters have chosen a personal approach. That's why a menu doesn't exist and your options are presented at the table by your waiter. Van Kerkwijk stands for quality food and drinks in an urban atmosphere. Characteristic, easy going, value for money. You feel at home between the regular customers who keep returning for the varied menu and the relax atmosphere. Van Kerkwijk doesn't take reservations, walk in for a table or wait at the bar with a good beer or wine.
Bundoran
“Very good value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

This small, bustling, atmospheric restaurant is located just off Dam square which makes the reasonable prices for very good food even more surprising. There is a board outside - which I didn't see until later - listing some of the dishes available but there is no menu. Rather, Dan - the most senior of the two floor staff who expertly served the entire room of about 40 covers - crouched beside us and described about seven or eight starters and main courses.

My wife had a very good pate served with what tasted like a freshly-made crusty bread and a small salad. Maybe a little redcurrant jelly might have lifted what was nonetheless an enjoyable dish. I had three mini-tortilla's filled with goats cheese and grilled aubergine served with salad and a beautiful sun-dried tomato salsa. Excellent.

A main course of Biefsteak with strawberry and blue cheese sauce sounded intriguing but my wife does not like cheese so instead had what turned out to be a tender fillet steak with strawberry sauce and a whipped herb, cream and garlic butter which all combined beautifully. My main was not as described - Dan having promised an Indian fish curry. The fish were monkfish and cod - both perfectly cooked - but the sauce was coconut based and flavoured with Lemongrass, coriander and lime. Just as well, I think as the Thai flavours constituted a much more sympathetic accompaniment to the fish than most Indian alternatives. On the side were served a salad and a dish of chips. The salad was underwhelming but the chips were delicious and came with a generous portion of creamy, slightly-garlicky, mayonnaise. Everything was washed down with a lovely Rasteau GSM. The total bill was just over €80 - and with the wine we picked the dearest on the list at €34.50 - I think this represented excellent value for a very tasty meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

• Hebrew first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“A great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband and I found this place after reading the trip adviser reviews and it did not fail to live up to expectations. Great atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff, amazing food, unique experience!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Burlington, Vermont
“Read the reviews! They were accurate and the restaurant lived up to expectations.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

When a restaurant is this popular on Tripadvisor, you're going to sit with a lot of Americans. But that was fine tonight because the restaurant lived up to what other reviewers led us to expect. One said that if they say there's a wait of X amount of minutes, the wait time is always shorter. That was true for us. The food was also very very good, well executed and plated. Spudjj is right about the warm vibe. And also romantic. The tables are closely set so the conversations were quite interesting, a couple on a first date, a father and son "talk". Others were right to say that even though there isn't a menu, the waitress (very, very pleasant waitress) told us all that we needed to know. We actually didn't ask for prices when she recited the menu but when we got the bill it seemed less expensive than expected. The filet mignon was 19.50, chicken much less. CHEF NOTE: So, even though I thought the food was excellent, I think the chef might consider cutting the sweet strawberry sauce under the filet with beef stock, red wine, or balsamic vinegar. I understand that the goat cheese provides a contrast, but the strawberry sauce was too close to what one would have in the U.S. with ice cream. Or add some butter and thyme? My filet came rare. It might be good to ask patrons how they prefer their steaks? My partner's dish of chicken with coconut milk was absolutely deliciouus but seemed to want some rice on the side. The serrano ham appetizer with its wonderful chunk of bread, some olive oil and nuts, was perfect. I see that others have gone back twice in one visit and I can see why. If I spent a couple of other nights at restaurants that weren't as good, I'd return here for another meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I came here with some friends after reading the reviews and we were not disappointed. They don't have menus in English but the lovely staff are more than happy to tell you what they have and make recommendations. The food was fantastic and the 4 of us were well and truly stuffed and drank all night all for under €120, great value and would definitely come back.

Detroit, Michigan
“So Good We Ate There Twice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We really enjoyed this hidden gem. It has a quirky, warm vibe (love the candellight) and has only a few tables. Every day, lunch and dinner, the menu is verbally transmitted to you by the (very friendly and informative) waitstaff. There is a good variety of foods offered, presumably selected by the chef based on what was available fresh and tasty that day at the market. The menu at both the lunch and dinner we had satisfied a wide range of palates -- my husband's and mine (we are pescatarians) and our sons, ages 14 and 21. Also, no reservations are taken and it is always busy but there is a bar that you can wait at.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere