“Worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Van Kerkwijk

Van Kerkwijk
Nes 41, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)
+31 20 620 3316
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 2,445 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: European, Dutch
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Red Light District
Description: Van Kerkwijk, situated at the Nes 41 just behind Dam square, is a classic Amsterdam cafe and restaurant where you can eat and drink from early in the morning till late in the evening. Van Kerkwijk sisters have chosen a personal approach. That's why a menu doesn't exist and your options are presented at the table by your waiter. Van Kerkwijk stands for quality food and drinks in an urban atmosphere. Characteristic, easy going, value for money. You feel at home between the regular customers who keep returning for the varied menu and the relax atmosphere. Van Kerkwijk doesn't take reservations, walk in for a table or wait at the bar with a good beer or wine.
London, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

I ate here as it was next to my hotel and had good reviews. I wasnt at all disapointed!
I chose from the 'menu'; which means the waiter sat opposite me and read it to me which I had at another restaurant recently. Its novel, but I'd still like a menu. Although i would say it focuses the mind and cuts out the procrastination!
I had the excellent lamb shank and delicious pear tart.
I shall return!

• Hebrew first
“Great dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

The menu changes daily and the food was all great! There is no printed menu, they come to the table and tell you options. We loved the pate. We went to ZaZa the night before and this was better!

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Buzzing Little Eatery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Having read the reviews, we thought this restaurant was a must. On arrival about 2030hrs this buzzing little eatery just behind Dam square was packed to the rafters as good a sign as any that you have come up trumps. We ordered drinks at the packed bar area and awaited with anticipation to be seated. Around 50 minutes later we were seated, my wife ordered pate and Red pepper soup for myself, both were very nice and tasty. I had ordered the steak with goats cheese and strawberry puree, my wife the chicken in a Indonesian style sauce for our mains. Both came with Fries and salad as sides. My main was faultless the steak may have been too rare for some but just to my liking. My Wife's Chicken was let down a little by the thigh leg portion not to the taste of most. If it was a breast portion it would have been fine as the sauce was delicious. With a bottle of house wine and a beer, water and one coffee £75 was the final bill a little pricey, but a great night.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was the best meal I've had in Europe. This 20-25 seat restaurant is tiny. There is a small kitchen (3x5 ft?) with one chef and 2 wait staff. There is no menu; only the memory bank of the waitress. We sat at the bar during our wait and had a few beers. We were able to see all the dishes coming out and new exactly what we wanted to order once we sat. We ordered (I think?) goat carpaccio and salmon rillete for apps and the Tunisian chicken and pan roasted black cod for entrees. The flavors were definitely more Mediterranean and not traditional Dutch but no matter. Everything was delicious. Our meals with 3-4 beers each only cost us about 30 euros each. Because of the lack of menu, we had no idea how much the dishes costs so we were pleasantly surprised. Definitely recommend this gem.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Best food ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We love our food and ate in many different restaurants during our trips, but the food in this one is outstanding. Indonesian chicken and lamb shank are worth a sin! And the size of the cakes for puddings is just unbelievable.
The bill is a pleasant surprise as main courses are about 16euro.
And there is really NO MENU! Unique experience in a very central location just next to Dam Square- go in Nes street where huge yellow shoe is at souvenir shop :)

Visited May 2013