“superb food and a warm welcome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Seasons Restaurant

Seasons Restaurant
16 Herenstraat, 1015 CA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)
+31 20 330 3800
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 2,445 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“superb food and a warm welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Without a doubt my favourite restaurant. Not just in Amsterdam but my favourite restaurant full stop.
From the moment you arrive you are made to feel welcome. The menu is always diverse enough to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters, and the food is always beautifully cooked.
The crab cakes starter was good, crispy breadcrumbs, flavourful filling and enough jalapeños for just the right amount of heat. The mango salsa and the dill mayo worked well. I enjoyed the starter very much and the portion size was more than generous.
Old habits die hard as they say, so my main was as usual the surf and turf. The beef was perfect, as always. Season's fire shrimp has been a favourite dish of mine for years and again it didn't disappoint. Trying to get prawns this size in the UK is near impossible!
You couldn't ask for more welcoming hosts than Blaine, Peter and my waiter (sorry I don't know your name).
I visit Amsterdam a few times a year and look forward to a meal at Seasons more than anything else when I'm in town.
See you in April.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Blaine H, Owner at Seasons Restaurant, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Mark,

Thanks once again for your kind review. Glad to hear that you once again enjoyed it.

Also the crab cakes was a first for you I believe and the Surf and Turf still does it for you. I do want to try something new with this, but do not worry it will not mean fewer or smaller shrimp. And we will maintain the quality of beef we have served in the past.

We look forward to see you again in April, but I do have to give you a warning....Change is in the air....you might not recognize us as you walk by, but you can rest assure your dishes and the service will remain the same.

• Polish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Visiting from the UK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Chose this restaurant from the many many in Amsterdam.
The food was good we had the 20€ lunch special. The restaurant was slightly cold but perhaps as we're sat by the door.
The young Irish waiter was fantastic, gold star for him

Blaine H, Owner at Seasons Restaurant, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Mysteryshopper,

Thanks for your kind review. Good to see a lunch review here as we have just recently opened for lunch.

Sorry about the chill, we have heating enough, but you are correct sitting by the door does not help.

We will also pass on your comments to the "Irish Waiter".

Hope to see you again.

Kind regards

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Nice food, shame about the overcrowding !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Went there for my birthday meal and the evening began well. Lovely starter and the Waitresses were lovely. However whilst enjoying our starter we were a bit bemused to have our table moved to within 6 inches of the one next door and another table erected next to us on the other side leaving me unable to get out and making private conversation impossible. When asked how we should get out the manager simply shrugged and said he had been to more pricey places than this and been more crowded in. We then waited almost 45 mins for our main course to appear, the waitresses advising us the kitchen was very busy with only 3 cooks. The tables were eventually rearranged when others became free, with the diners next to us being moved mid starter, and the whole mood of the evening was spoilt really. Our main course food was okay but the red wine sauce with the salmon was a disappointment, and the rice was over cooked and sticky. We decided not to stay for dessert, and to be fair we were only charged for our drinks but would rather have had a nice relaxed meal to celebrate what had been a lovely day. On reflection we thought they had tried to accommodate too many diners and that had let them down. The crab cake starter was delicious and we had been enjoying ourselves at the beginning of the meal.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Aimee,

Thanks for your review, and while I might agree with your opening statement, I do not necessarily agree with the number of points given, but the good thing about TripAdvisor it gives everyone a chance to speak.

We do wish we had known it was your B-day at the beginning or when the reservation was made, however you only informed us when the bill was given to you. A bit too late for us to do anything, but at the same time whether one has a B-day or not they should have a good feeling.

The table that was erected next to you was only there for approximately 30 minutes. We had a reservation at 20:00 that came and their table was not ready and asked them to return at 20:30. When they returned the table was still not ready and thus we put the table in next to yours. As you mentioned the guests were moved after about 15 minutes and we removed the table, before you had to get out.

Now as the Chef of Season's I was not working this night, but the Manager, Peter also my partner/owner informed me of the event and the Kitchen Problem. It was moving like a train on square wheels and creating the problems in the restaurant. As the Chef I am in charge of the kitchen and can assure you and future guests this will not be a problem as the "square wheels" have been repaired!

Peter and I have a "unspoken policy" that if we feel someone does not feel happy and it was for something we could have avoided they should not pay ( we rarely use this policy). He did not charge you for the two 2-course meals that you had and only the drinks as he saw you were disappointed.

Your comments are correct, but we feel we should "paint the whole picture" and let other travelers decide if they would dine with us and that is the reason for my comments/ explanations above.

The restaurant business is tough, not only does one have to cook all day for people who might come or not; like your food or not; be in a hurry or not, but also has to make sure all guests (with different personalities) leave happy.

We tried to correct the situation while you were there and as you mentioned it really did not work
and this we apologize for. Hopefully you can give us another chance when you visit.

Kind regards,

Concord, New Hampshire
“Great time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We were only in Amsterdam for two nights in October and we ate here both evenings. Normally we like to try new places, but in this case we felt we couldn't improve on the experience of eating here. Interesting menu and atmosphere. Fantastic wait staff.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Blaine H, Owner at Seasons Restaurant, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Lynn,

Thanks for your kind review, and as they say better late than never!

Always great to see people return a time or two when they are in town, does mean something and the staff see that too.

Hope you can make it back when you return to Amsterdam.

Kind regards

“Amazing food and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I visited this restaurant on Sunday with a group of friends, the staff were amazing, made us feel welcomed, poured wine when we were running low and even phoned for a taxi for us. We had a mixture from the menu, starters; crab cakes, duck salad and Caesar salad for starters, we all tried a bit of each and it was amazing and good sized portions. We then had our mains; duck, lamb, beef Wellington, salmon and omelette, no complaints everything was cooked to perfection. We didn't try the desserts as we were all full but if they were anything like the other food we had I'm sure it would of been amazing. Even now a few days later me and my friends are still raving on about how much of a good time we had and how amazing the food was. I would recommend this place to anyone that wants good food, good service and a great time.

Dear Sophieki,

Thanks for taking a moment to post a review here on TripAdvisor for others to read.

You summed up our aim perfectly, "good food, good service" and ended it with what we really like to hear..."great time."

Thanks and hope to see you again!