“Great meal and great value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Seasons Restaurant

Seasons Restaurant
16 Herenstraat, Amsterdam 1015 CA, The Netherlands (Jordaan)
020 330 3800
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 2,223 restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Florida
“Great meal and great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We visited for our wedding anniversary while on a 2 night stopover in the 'Dam. We had the fire shrimp with the mashed potatoes which was our favorite.

We also had steak which was very good and a nice cheesecake for desert.

The service was good and the price was very reasonable as we did the 2 for 1 special.

Would definitely visit again next time in Amsterdam.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Blaine H, Owner at Seasons Restaurant, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Yesmate,

Thanks for your kind review here on TripAdvisor. You mention that "Fire Shrimp" special which is a great classic with us. We know offer this with our "Surf and Turf" dish and Beef Wellington.

We look forward to seeing you again when you visit Amsterdam.

90% Recommend
  • Polish first
Stuttgart
“Damnalicious Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

WOW! What a another great meal I had at Season's. I started off with the Fire Shrimp made of shrimp, basil mashed potatoes and creamy sambal sauce and it had just the right "kick" to it, not too mild and not too spicy. The waiter made sure that I knew that the pepper on it was mainly for decoration but if I wanted FIRE I could eat it. I took his word for it. My main course was the Beef Wellington that was perfectly cooked to my request. The portion was just right with the accompanying side dishes. The meat was tasty, tender and flavorable. I chose the strawberry cheesecake in a jar for my desert which topped off a great meal. It was just sweet enough with a little crusty crunch on the bottom of the jar. Although the restaurant was busy, the staff was able to handle all the orders and guests requests for drinks. Peter skillfully managed the bar while checking on guests throughout the night. As we were one of the last groups to leave that night, the chef, Blaine, was able to come out and talk to us about our meal. What a stupedous team that they have at Season's. Overall it was a great experience, centrally located, and a great value. We will be back for sure!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Blaine H, Owner at Seasons Restaurant, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Stucatlew,

Thanks once again for your kind review here on TripAdvisor.

The "Fire Shrimp" is back and just as good as ever. We introduced this dish about 7 years ago and while it is sometimes on the menu and sometimes off, it tends to always make it back as it is great in every season. The Beef Wellington is also a favorite and for those who really want the experience they should try "Season's Surf and Turf" a combination of the dishes you mention.

It was good to chat with you and I should make more of an effort to get out of the kitchen and chat with the guests.

Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Lossiemouth, United Kingdom
“Great food spoilt by one member of staff.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Wonderful restaurant with great looks inside, food was delicious! However, we were unlucky enough to be served by a very rude gentleman. We were the last ones in the restaurant, and had watched others pay with cash or card. If paying by card you were invited to go to the bar area to enter your PIN number in the chip and pin machine. However, when it came to our turn to pay, we gave our card to the waiter, waited for him to invite us to the bar area only to find him come back and say he had over ridden the chip function himself without our approval!! Obviously we were a little unhappy about this as who knows what else he had done/approved without our knowledge. When questioned why he had chosen to do this, we were told that it was up to him what he did and we didn't have a choice in the matter. I asked whether this was legal, and all I got in return was a laugh in my face for my troubles. A very disappointing ending to a great meal, and one that left my partner and I with a bit of an upset feeling.

Dear Jon,

Thanks for your one and only review here on TripAdvisor.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the restaurant and the food, but not happy to hear about your ending.

While I do not agree that " a laugh in the face" is at all appropriate, I should explain the PIN thing. When we are given a credit card, the cards ( from different countries) work differently, some need a PIN some not. That is the current situation and in the future that will change. A company can always run a card manually, we do it for years for guests for deposits or when the magnetic stripe can not be read for example. We also do it for the convenience of the guest so they do not have to walk to the bar. WE DO NOT charge anything on the card that is not on the bill (for example tip), we assume that when given a card that you are giving us the approval to charge it. The response of the waiter to your comments was perhaps due to the fact that he was trying not to inconvenience you and make you walk to the bar, just to push a number in.

As for your comment, "who knows what else he had done/approved without our knowledge", I can rest assure you that we, nor any of our staff, overcharge or take advantage on this. (If you see an overcharge on your statement please let us know!)

May I ask how do you pay for deposits for hotel rooms, do you trust the hotel with your card details? Do you give them a PIN number when paying the deposit?

It is unfortunate that a "Wonderful restaurant with great looks inside, food was delicious!", was given such a low rating for a misunderstanding.

We will review your comment with our staff!

Regards

Ottawa, Canada
“Another good find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Amsterdam is awesome. Every restaurant we ate in during our three day visit was a success, unlike Paris, where it's always hit and miss. Sadly, this restaurant is next door to "Max" which is better rated and packed to the rafters with patrons. It helped that a party of nine entered not long after our arrival.
The food was delicious. Corn soup with shrimp and crab was tasty. Chicken tikka masala was creamy, flavorful and abundant! Basmati was light and fluffy. Naan was different than what I am used to in that it was crisp instead of soft and chewy but it tasted great nonetheless and did the job of scooping up my food. The chutneys and yogurt condiments were delicious, the pumpkin and apple especially so! The smoked chicken in the salad app was melt in your mouth delicious, mangoes were ripe and sweet, coriander is always nice and the vinaigrette didn't drown out the dish. The rabbit was rabbity! Sauce was good but shouldn't have been as thickened as it was. The flavor was pleasant but didn't make your taste buds sing, if you know what I mean!
He chose the bread poudding for dessert. It was yummy.... Crisp on the top, lemon curdy and moist on the inside, sweet and tart in perfect harmony! My dessert wasn't as great: the peaches were nectarines which were not ripe at all but the raspberries, the mascarpone and the biscotti made up for it. Not an overly sweet dessert, so if you're looking for something sugary, choose something else. The portions here are big so make sure you bring an appetite with you!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Blaine H, Owner at Seasons Restaurant, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Dannemarie,

Thanks so much for your kind and informative comment here on TripAdvisor, both for us and for other travelers visiting Amsterdam.

I am not sure what to say about your comment about being next door next to Max, but as you and other guests can see we have been active on TripAdvisor for a bit longer with more than 300 comments more than the neighbor. But that being said there are a number of good restaurants on the Herenstraat and they are all quite different from each other....truly a great street to visit when wanting to dine in Asmterdam.

Your comments on the food were right on and I have shared them with our Kitchen staff and made corrections that you mentioned. It is nice to hear your correct comments about the food and some that we can learn from.

We are working this week on a new menu and will keep your thoughts in mind as we work on making the menu more seasonal as the winter months approach.

We do hope you make it back and visit us again.

Thanks again,

NJ
“Excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Our hotel recommended this place and we were very happy with the whole experience. I ordered the corn chowder with crab meat and salad with rib eye. Everything was delicious. I also had the house wine which was excellent. The service was very nice and friendly.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Blaine H, Owner at Seasons Restaurant, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Ramadama,

Thanks so much for your kind review her on TripAdvisor.

Glad to hear that you were happy with the "whole experience" We hope you make it back to see us again soon.