“Great Food, not cheap. But well worth the experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Late Night Food, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Teppan-chefs will prepare the most delicious fish, meat and vegetarian dishes on a hot iron griddle at your table: a la minute cooking with Japanese precision. The contemporary Japanese interior, inspired by the elements of stone, wood, water and fire, is an oasis of tranquillity. The teppanyaki griddles are large enough for seven to ten guests and are ideal for both business and celebratory dinners. Sazanka is open for dinner from 18:30 to 22:00 daily. Lunch can be prepared for a minimum group size of 10 people and must be booked in advance.
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Great Food, not cheap. But well worth the experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The food was by far some of the best japanese food I have ever eaten. However the quality of food matched the price tag at 100 euro per head. Very friendly atmosphere located in the Hotel. Okura.

• Visited November 2012

New York, New York, United States
“Best Meal in Amsterdam I've ever had, BY FAR!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I've been to Amsterdam 11 times and never thought the city was known for their true culinary experience. That changed on December 23, 2012 when I went to Okura Hotel to eat the Sazanka - Teppenyaki Restaurant!

Sitting at the Grill (all foods are cooked in front of you, with the exceptions of chef's starter and desserts) wondering how everything was going to pan out? Just to give you a little background in my taste, live in New York City and have attended some of the best restaurants such as Per Se, 11 Madison Park, Le Bernadin, and so on. My favorite japanese restaurant in NYC is Sushi Seki (must eat at the sushi bar). Last, but not least - Went to Japan this year for the 1st time!

The chef at our grill was Y. Tamura. She has been working at Sazanka for 8 years. Have to say, it was a pleasure watching her work the grill with 8 people surrounding her. I ended up ordering the Sazanka Seasonal Menu (7 courses meal) with Sake pairing.

Started off with a chef's starter (salmon with tapioca style) that was nice to start off with. Now come the main dinner.

For Your Information (FYI), the chef will show you each course up close before preparing.

1) Aonori Tempura of sweet bread, with seasonal vegetables marinated in Ponzu. Sake pairing - Okunomatsu Shuzo, Fukushima Perfecture (location or area where the sake came from), Japan

I never go out of my way for Sweet Bread, however this was absolutely delicious. Very delicate and sweet tasting. Okunomatsu Shuzo Sake was a sparkling, bubbly, yet subtle sweetness to offset the sweet bread. Delicious!

2) Sea Salt crusted sea bass with leek and Yuzu sauce. Sake pairing - w/ Oze no Yukidoke Yuzu-lemon she, Gunma Perfecture, Japan.

Have to say I was blown away by this preparation (and the sake, of course). The Sea Bass get cooked on the grill with thick amount of Egg White and Sea Salt on top. After a few minutes, The Egg White and Sea Salt got hardened to a point where the chef turned over and used it as a base for the meal. When the egg white was turned over, the chef stripped the skin off of the sea bass and used it to make crispy skin! The final prep was adding Leek to the top and crispy skin on the top side of the hardened Egg White and Sea Salt. The Sake had a wonderful flavor of bubbly lemon. The Lemon taste offset the sea salt and the combination of both the fish and sake was absolutely perfect!

3) Fresh half lobster and mussels with a spicy Miso sauce. Sake pairing - Kotori no Saezuri, Saltama Perfecture, Japan.

Another great dish! I'm going to run out of ideas what to say because literally all of the food and sake pairing were that good!

4) Thinly sliced US Beef with Oyster, Teriyaki sauce and Oba leaf. Sake pairing - Taru Sake, Kyoto Perfecture, Japan.

Think of the beef as Shabu Shabu. Very thinly slices of beef wrapped around the oysters. OMG, I never thought the Beef and Oyster would go hand in hand! This was good as it get!! Again, the sake was a nice smooth flavor to go along with the beef and oysters. Yummy!

5) US Black Angus beef fillet. Fried Rice, seasonal vegetables, seasonal sauce, Japanese pickles and Kizami salad. Sake pairing - Horin, Kyoto Perfecture, Japan (plus a bonus Red Wine of Tommasi - the connoisseur figured that I would appreciate more taste of sake and wine).

I could have chosen the Kobe beef for an extra 49 Euro, however I was pleasantly happy with the US Black Angus beef fillet. The beef was so tender, that I barely had to use my knife to cut the meat. The fried rice was amazing, one of the best I've ever had. The 2 drinks - Horin sake and Tommasi wine was both nice and dry plus very smooth. Another great combinations!

6) Seasonal pre-dessert was delicious - and can't describe it :( It was a light soft cream with a breaded pounded cake (not really a pound cake, but something similar).

7) Finger of dark Varlhona chocolate and sesame with soya milk sorbet. Sake pairing - Ume genshu Shirakaga, Gunma Perfecture, Japan

Very rich chocolate cake offset by a nice soya milk sorbet (literally tasted like ice cream). The sake was very sweet and was perfect for the dessert!

All in all, this was one of the best meals I've ever had! I'll be back! Thank you very much to Sander (connoisseur), Nonaka (waiter) and Y. Tamura (chef) for an unbelievable experience!

ARIGATO!!

• Visited December 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Don't go for chique atmosphere and/or dessert”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The ingredients are fresh and of good quality. We opted for the 105 euro seasonal menu which is certainly not bad price/value wise, it includes halve a lobster and a 150 gram (Irish) steak and sea bass- in itself they more or less already justify the price (in Holland at least). Preparation ranged from good to okay, but never bad.

The attention to detail however was not all that good. From the Japanese chefs I would expect more finesse in plating the actual food. The cooks also use stock containers for their oil and such (as bought in the store, labels still on them and everything) which personally annoys me. It's a small effort to swap the bottle for something somewhat more elegant and it makes a big difference in experience. The desert was below average. It did not taste bad but it was far from refined or original in my opinion.

The second chef on our table forgot our rice and salads with the meat course. He presented us the meat dish, and only after we had finished it they hurried to give us our rice and salad. Nothing was said, no apologies, not by the chef, nor by the waitress. That I found really bad.

Also the dress-code mentioned on the brass plaque at the door is not maintained at all. I do not expect 3 piece suits or full blown gala dresses everywhere, but it was somewhat strange to sit there, in a jacket like most visitors and the couple next to you is literally wearing jeans and a hoodie sweatshirt. Another guy at our table kept making and receiving phone calls and nothing was said by the staff. But perhaps that is me, and my expectations for the setting were simply too high.

All in all food was good -not excellent- and the restaurant is nice, but I would not recommend this place quickly for a romantic evening or any serious business dinner.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hotel_OkuraAmsterdam, Manager at Teppanyaki Restaurant Sazanka, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback. We regret that we did not meet your expectations. Could you please send your contact details to feedback@okura.nl so we can contact you about this matter?
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Star quality Japanese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

If you really enjoy Japanese food - I recommend you got to the Okura and enjoy a meal at their restaurants. Sazanka offers you a fun evening out with excellent food and entertainment from the chefs preparing the food at the table. Highly recommend it!

Visited September 2012
“A fantastic night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend went out for diner in Sazanka and we both study hospitality management so we are quite picky. But this is really one of the best restaurants we ever visited! For young people it can be a bit pricy but it is definately worth it! The service is outstaning and the waiters are very helpful. The food is very good and the chefs are skilled and really make a show out of it. I would love to go here again!