“In my opinion the best in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Rive

La Rive
Professor Tulpplein 1, Amsterdam 1018 GX, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)
020-520-3264
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #46 of 2,231 restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Binnenstad
London
“In my opinion the best in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The best setting, the best staff, the best menu........
A new tasting menu has been launched although you may still choose two dishes to have as starter and main if you don't fancy 5 or 6 courses. The staff are amongst the best I've experienced in any restaurant and they made our evening just perfect. Expensive but EXCELLENT value and the wine list is a joy!!

Visited April 2013

91% Recommend
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was without a doubt the best meal I have ever eaten. The hotel and restaurant are amazing, the staff were so attentive, you really do feel spoiled!

Saint-Petersburg
“Super!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We celebrated the birthday of my wife. We were made for the best table. The staff were friendly and charming. Behold the dress code everything was warm and friendly. About the kitchen nothing to say: this is a delight! Wines choise is great!

London
“One of the highlights of our trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I highly recommend this restaurant to all lovers of great food. It is costly but in terms of value - service, food, quality of ingredients, wine, cheese, view, ambience - it delivers on all fronts. I would highly urge those normally put off by stiff and formal appearing dining rooms to give it a go because beneath the beige, still lifes and crisp white linen was an impeccable level of service, notable for the personality, engagement and clear love of the job of all who attended to us. Of course, the service can't be faultless without a wonderful product to present and La Rive did not let us down there either. My husband and I had the alternate set menus with paired wines - again, a good way for novices (like us) to get to grips with gastronomy without the tyranny of choice. I had the Droite menu and my husband the Gauche. My starter of tartare was divine and plentiful with my stand out dishes being a wonderful, intoxicating truffle and brie dish that I adored. Jon's pigeon was a highlight with a beautiful sauce and an excellent chocolate desert with excellent ice cream. Wines were paired sensitively to the dishes and we enjoyed two highly contrasted Barbera d'Albas that made for a good topic of conversation. I can't conclude without mentioning the view, out onto the Amstel, with all of the city twinkling beyond us - bliss! My only regret was that I didn't save room for all the Dutch cheese trolley which looked amazing.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Best in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Actually one of the best in the country. Don't be mislead by the classic decor, this is not a formal (cold) place at all. Staff is friendly and very professional. The best reason to eat in La Rive is the excellent, refined, creative, surprising, FANTASTIC food. I haven't been in any restaurant serving better food than here. Unforgettable.
Expensive, but worth it!