“One night in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“One night in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I had a one night lay over in Amsterdam on my way back from Barcelona... I wanted to make the best out of that and I asked around - where would I get the best steak in town...
Amsterdam is one of my most favored cities... but was never high in my list of most favorite restaurants until I had the opportunity to eat at the Café de Klos in Amsterdam.
I would say that this was one of my most favorite steaks that I have ever had. The steak was made to perfection, medium cooked, tender, juicy and not a great deal of fuss around the steam.
This Café, like many other restaurants in Amsterdam, is actually very small, its a challenge to get a seat... you need reservations or else you have a wait.
Once you get your seat ( i got one at the bar) the menu options are simple... Steak Steak and more steaks with only a small green salad on the side or possibly a small bowl of steak fries.
nothing too extravagant, they don't do anything else and the steaks are well marinated and grilling is done right infront of your eyes (behind the bar).
The atmosphere is very friendly, the waiters are knowledgeable, well spoken and most importantly extremely very funny.
you get a feeling all round that this is a friendly place to be in and it is very comforting.
if you are a meat lover and you simply want a good steak in Amsterdam... café de klos is the way to go... hard core steak

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

88% Recommend
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
“Ribs a must.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Thought this was going to be a quiet night and at most restaurants it probably would have been but here we had to wait 45 minutes for a table but it was well worth it.

The staff are friendly and ask that you wait just over the road in another friendly bar while you wait for a place.

Ordered the mixed ribs and had smoked and plain ribs. I wish I shared the plate because the portions were large. They even asked if I wanted a jacket potato but I would never have finished that.

Beer is good with a choice of light or dark beers.

Price is reasonable for the amount you get. If I go again I would order the same but get an extra plate and share with whoever I am with.

Visited March 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
“Medium Well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Hi guy's I read about Cafe Klos on TripAdvisor so we went to Amsterdam on 25 Feb 2014,we went there on a Thrusday evening it wploeas pack and it was not even 1900hrs yet so we got the last two seat on the back side of the bar which is good cause we had a outside veiw of the street watching people walk buy why we chatted, yes it take a while but the wait is worth it, and I mean dat. You see I'm a professional cook for over 40 years in the business so if i have to wait then its fresh and cooked to order.I order lamb chops with baked potatoes,for starter's i had Escargot with garlic bread OOF DI HOOK MON, yes you can watch the cook cooking your steaks, chops, or ribs. Speaking of ribs what i hear they have some of best smoked rib's and also grilled rib's, tenerlion steak, shoulder of grilled Lamb, grilled chicken all the meat is griied, LECKER. they have a goood sortment of beer,dark,hellis, and wine you need not come all fancy dressed up, jean are ok. But I say this you get your MONEY worth. So what are you waiting for go there and dig in PROOST as they say here in German. P.S. This place is not for Romance, put your bib on and digg in you chow hounds cause you will be licking your fingers.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“great spare ribs with very good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

If you want to have a good meal for a good price try this one.
Spare ribs are the must have here: smoked or not smoked. The portions are very generous: I always choose the ladies portion (and the staff will laugh at me...)
The staff is great: sense of humour at the top.
Be prepared to wait specially during the weekends, as the restaurant does not accept reservations. But for sure the waiting time is worthwile

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
CH
“Delicious ribs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

It took about 45 minutes for our group of 5 to get seated, but we were able to wait at the bar across the street and the staff came to get us. The ribs were delicious and the huge portions something of a rarity in Europe (on the mainland, at least). Get the spare ribs, the smoked ribs were OK but not as good. Or try the mixed ribs to find out I was right all along. :) Their lamb dishes are delicious as well.

• Visited March 2014