“Come for the atmosphere -- the food's good, too!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant d'Vijff Vlieghen

Restaurant d'Vijff Vlieghen
Spuistraat 294-302, 1012VX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)
0031-20 530 40 60
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #422 of 2,544 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Description: Restaurant d'Vijff Vlieghen is situated in 5 17th Century houses. The restaurant is decorated with many antique objects from the 17,18th and 19th Century. You will find amongst others 4 original etchings of Rembrandt, rare Glassware from the 17th Century and original Delft Blue tiles from the 17th and 18th Century. A romantic dinner for 2 in one of our cosy corners is possible, just as a private dining or large (business) dinners
maine
“Come for the atmosphere -- the food's good, too!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

By far one of the most interesting settings for a meal in all of Amsterdam, this cozy, atmospheric restaurant will make you feel you've stepped back several centuries. Its dark wood interior and old paintings and artifacts made me spend as much time ogling the art as I did paying attention to the food, but that's part of the charm of this establishment. It's a feast for the eyes as well as the mouth.

The evening we went, the set menu featured what was then in season: asparagus. I happen to love asparagus, but anyone who doesn't might find the limited menu off-putting. I loved it, especially the asparagus a la flamande, a traditional Belgian/French dish that's rather simple, but whose execution reaches its heights here.

The service was very attentive and somewhat formal, the wine choices were excellent. Next time I'm in Amsterdam (I travel there about every two years) I will definitely visit again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
AlbertVeerman, General Manager at Restaurant d'Vijff Vlieghen, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear mr. Watson,

Many thanks for taking the time letting us know about your experience in our restaurant.

Good to read you enjoyed the asparagus menu and our interior and ambiance.

I work in the Five Flies for about 14 year and still every day I am impressed by our interior too!

Looking forward welcoming you in 2 years again in our restaurant!

Regards from Amsterdam!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, CA
“Just order the monthly menu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I have now eaten in this restaurant four times and each time have had an outstanding meal: great and interesting foods, good wines, and outstanding service. I've only been there in small groups (maximum of 4), but each time have had a wonderful experience. Go with the monthly menu--it's the chef's take on currently fresh foods and so far I've not had a dish that was even just so-so--it's expensive, but well worth it.

Visited June 2014
AlbertVeerman, General Manager at Restaurant d'Vijff Vlieghen, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear mr. Perryl,

Thank you very much for your review and nice words regarding the chefs monthly menu which you enjoyed on your 4th visit.

I will pass your compliments to our chef and kitchen brigade.

Looking forward welcoming you soon for your 5th visit in the Five Flies! :-)

Kind regards from Amsterdam,

Moscow
“Not an excellent choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We had a team dinner in this restaurant. The atmosphere was nice but the food was not excellent. and the service wasn't great. Not a bug deal for it's price.

Visited March 2014
AlbertVeerman, General Manager at Restaurant d'Vijff Vlieghen, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear ms. Katia,

Thank you very much for taking the time to writing a review, this is much appreciated.

I am sorry to read that dinner did not meet your expectations, please accept my apologies.

Your feedback is very valuable to us. I will discuss your review in our weekly meeting with the head-chef and the restaurant manager. We will take actions where necessary so our level of food and service will improve.

Kind regards,

Washington, DC
“Great food with uneven, slow service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Food and wine were both wonderful albeit on the pricey side. The atmosphere is just charming. The service was too slow but generally attentive - odd combination for sure. I would visit again but only if I had the time for a long meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
hong kong
“Real authentic building”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Suppose to have 2 main courses to be chosen
Yet , the waitress insisted that only spring chicken was offered
The appetiser was very small .
The house wine w as from Chile
The main course was so so
The desert was average
The real authentic building was set up since 1715
Very tight staircase
Food was not good enough

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere