“Turn up the heating, turn down the music and we'd be back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Simpel

Restaurant Simpel
Ferdinand Bolstraat 11, 1072 LA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)
+31 20 672 0672
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #924 of 2,507 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Description: Simpel is situated in the heart of 'de Pijp' neighbourhood, known for its diversity of colourful shops, trendy bars and good restaurants. Our motto is less is more. We offer pure, basic food in a simple but stylish setting. Also important to know is that our food is fresh and our menu affordable, so Simpel is good value for money as well! The tasteful inviting interior attracts a wide variety of people and is ideally suited for lunches, dinners, presentations, parties or any other celebration! Visit our website to see our special group brochure. A visit to our restaurant is easy to combine with some great city sightseeing because Amsterdam's most popular tourist attractions like Albert Cuyp market, Heineken Experience, Rijksmuseum,Stedelijk museum and Van Goghmuseum are all located withing walking distance from Simpel. The tasteful inviting interior attracts a wide variety of people and is ideally suited for lunches, dinners, presentations, parties or any other celebration!
UK
“Turn up the heating, turn down the music and we'd be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Simpel is a typical mid-sized Amsterdam restaurant in the south of the city, not far from the Rijksmuseum. It looks and feels like many others I’ve been to and some of my colleagues debated whether we’d been there before because it ‘felt’ so familiar. We were a party of five who’d booked a table for 8 people - the manager resisted the temptation to give us a hard time over being 10 minutes late and 3 people short. Not all would have been so friendly or understanding.

Service is typically Amsterdam-lethargic although we’re experienced enough to know that in this city if you don’t ask, you don’t get so we asked - for the menus, to place the orders, to get the bill. In some ways it’s nice that the staff aren’t hurrying you along, but after several years of Amsterdam dining that wears thin. Don’t be afraid to ask the staff to hurry things along.

They have a menu in Dutch or English. Sadly our waitress didn’t actually know the names of some of the things on the English menu which had plenty of potential to confuse. Some of the translations are not so good or precise and several dishes were not available, including the one I really wanted. It was early evening so I have to assume they hadn’t run out - they just hadn’t made any.

I had a salmon tartare and foolishly assumed it would be a ‘normal’ salmon tartare. The inclusion of chopped Dutch shrimps was quite a surprise and the salmon was minced very finely. I didn’t mind it but I know some would. My main course of seafood linguini was excellent but shockingly hot. When the menu says ‘garlic pepper oil’ you don’t expect vindaloo curry strength chilli. My French colleague couldn’t eat it. She also didn’t understand that ‘linguini nero’ would be black squid ink pasta. Restaurants need to realise that they make an English menu and use it with French, German, Spanish and other clients they may not get the subtleties of what’s on there. I also thought that the use of a seafood mix that was about 50% octopus was perfect for me, but would have horrified anyone expecting a more conventional blend.

The menu is quite small which is a good thing. Some of the dishes were very good - the Caesar salad scored on both size and quality but was pronounced a bit TOO big, the fish soup was very generously portioned, and the vitello tonnata was apparently very good. The seabass main courses were appreciated too. The steak was less of a success and the scallop portion was really mean. The bread served whilst we waited was excellent.

During our visit the place was far too cold and a bit too noisy. One colleague spent the whole evening with her shawl hugged around her, barely able to avoid shivering. They have one of those circular curtain arrangements at the entrance but it was not kept closed and it meant we were in a cold draft. This did spoil things slightly. I’ve been in colder and noisier Amsterdam restaurants but these problems could very easily be remedied. I guess when the staff are running around with hot plates, they don’t always spot their customers are cold and miserable.

Prices were pretty standard for Amsterdam - I believe the bill was around €35-40 per head including drinks (although we didn’t drink much) and we skipped puddings and coffees.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“We got lucky!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Arrived in Amsterdam quite late and after checking in with 5 restaurants which were all closing, stumbled upon Simpel all by luck. Almost walked past it as from the outside it was quite dark, but enter and we were greeted by a lovely waitress who was dynamic, fun and totally lovely! She got the kitchen to hold off closing for us, which totally saved us from a road-side kebab dinner.

The food was brilliant. The bread was still warm with lovely dips of garlic basil and olive oil. The scallop starters made me want to have that for all 3 courses, thought I wouldn't skip my linguine main which was just perfect. Even though I thought I couldn't possibly eat another bite, the chocolate cake dessert was irresistible. Wine for the table and it couldn't have been better.

Most definitely recommended and we will be back again on our next trip!

• Visited November 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Romantic great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Found by accident and had a wonderful meal. Had the tasting menue and really enjoyed the selection. Nice wine and great service. Would definately go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Panjin, China
“Superb restaurant in de Pijp in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

What an amazing place we found in the Pijp in Amsterdam. The waiters received us as we were the only guests that night, however, the place was packed.
Packed for a good reason! The food was absolutely fabulous. We ordered the 5 course surprise dinner with wine suggestions. All 5 courses were great and appreciated by all of us. Not an easy task to keep everybody satisfied, but they did it.
Thank you for all at Simpel to make our evening so special!
See you soon!

india
“Juicy steaks in great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Having traveled a lot and going out for dinner far too often makes me a spoiled costumer. Not a lot of chefs can make me leave a restaurant smiling like this one did.

What a fabulous meal did we have. The steak we had was so incredibly tender that it melted in my mouth. My partner had rack of lamb which was as superb as well.
Desserts perfectly sweet and prepared with care.

The restaurant has a great ambiance, good service who actually have fun in making you feel welcome, but the star of the evening was the Chef. The combination of tastes was surprising and the presentation a jewel for the eye!

I can recommend Restaurant Simpel to everybody, tourists, locals and the King of Holland!