“Divine cocktail” 5 of 5 stars
Review of House of Bols, the Cocktail & Genever Experience

House of Bols, the Cocktail & Genever Experience
Paulus Potterstraat 14, 1071 CZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)
+31 20 570 8575
$55*
and up
I amsterdam Card - City Pass for Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: The House of Bols Cocktail & Genever Experience (located opposite the Van Gogh Museum) offers a truly interactive experience into the world of cocktails and the exciting bartending culture, as well as a glimpse into the history of the world's oldest distilled brand: Bols Amsterdam 1575. A visit to the House of Bols is a spectacular journey for all your senses in which you learn how to taste a delicious cocktail of your choice. Learn even more about Cocktails, Bols Liqueurs and Genevers and book a Tasting or a (private) event like a Cocktail Party or Cocktail Workshops.
Pretoria, South Africa
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Divine cocktail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is a place that takes your senses on a roller skate ride . You are taken on a quick history tour of the brand and then given a chance to test your ability to smell and taste . You get to choose. your own cocktail and also get 2 free shooters . If you are traveling with teenagers , this place is a Must visit - the strobe lightening and friendly bartenders - flashy lights - confirms why Amsterdam is a party capital .

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Loved every minute of it, a bit surreal at times. Very nicely put together and the cocktails are fab. The shop is nice as well, the genever is lovely but so different from london gin.

Visited December 2013
Melbourne, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“So much fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Originally we weren't really sure whether to go but decided to anyway since it was across the road from the Van Gogh Museum. We were so glad that we went because it was so much fun! It really is an experience for the senses.. You get a free cocktail of your choice as well as shots. I had the Toblerone cocktail and my partner had the Strawberry Cheesecake.. I loved the Toblerone and finished it too quickly. A fun time indeed!

Dublin, Ireland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“ok not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

It was ok, a bit pricey, and no real tour to speak of. The cocktails were awesome though but I don't think you would be missing out if you didn't go

Chicago, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I met up with my college roommate in Amsterdam, and it seemed like everything we meant to do kept messing up. My map didnt print, so I figured I'd go in blind using signs on the street, and she (usually unsuccessfully) tried to take advantage of Google Maps. As a result of all our walking in circles, we kept arriving at attractions later than we meant to, thus missing out on a houseboat of cats and the Van Gogh museum. However, when we started walking away from Museumplein, I spotted House of Bols and remembered having read something briefly about it while researching Amsterdam, so I suggested we go. I figured if it ended up being no fun, at least the €14.50 wouldn't go to waste because we could just say we had a super expensive cocktail.

The €14.50 didn't go to waste.

When we entered, the lady behind the desk quickly explained the Bols brand, family, and Genever to us, and did nothing to hind the transparency of the marketing campaign we'd just forked over what (for us) is a decent chunk of money.

However, once we walked down the stairs and into the exhibit, it didn't take long for my skepticism about whether I'd just wasted money to disappear. The different sections were fascinating, and I somehow realized I'd flown KLM numerous times without ever realizing that the little houses contained alcohol - though considering I'd been flying to a dry country, they probably didn't.

Our favorite portion was probably the Tasting and Smelling portion. We were also excited to see a Rembrandt painting because we felt we could then justify our foray into House of Bols over one of the many (closing) art museums nearby. In the end, we got our drinks. My friend's was delicious, though I forgot the name, and mine was kind of bland and watery. It also didn't hurt that the bartender was incredibly easy on the eyes. (There were also two shots of your choosing at the end. My friend thought I was crazy for wanting to try the aged Genever instead of something we'd smelled, but I was curious.)

I wouldn't suggest this over another attraction you're interested in, but if you have an hour to kill, it's definitely worth it.