“Cheap Accommodation but HORRIBLE staff member” 1 of 5 stars

You added Aivengo Youth Hostel to your Saves list
Aivengo Youth Hostel
Spuistraat 6, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Portland, Oregon
“Cheap Accommodation but HORRIBLE staff member”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed here two nights before new years because the price was right. Decent, clean accommodations but one staff member was HORRIBLE to my girlfriend and I. He accused us of "stealing" a bed because my girlfriend arrived at 6 am, said she was meeting me here and that she will be checking in once she was allowed to check in for the night, then went and took a nap with me for an hour to try to get over her jet lag. The staff member came into the room and started waking up other guests looking for my girlfriend. We told him we were the ones he was looking for and he started to yell at us saying that we "stole" the bed. He made a big scene waking everyone up and then told us to come meet him in the front. We went up to try to talk with him but he continued to just yell at us saying over and over that we were stealing his property. He said my girlfriend had to pay for the whole night before for the single hour of sleep even though he knew we were already going to be staying there that night. What should have been just an early check in and a simple conversation turned into a big scene. I have had great experiences with every hostel I've stayed at so I was shocked by the way he handled this. I will NEVER stay here again and recommend that you find another place.

Room Tip: Finda another hostel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Serge L, Manager at Aivengo Youth Hostel, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear customer,
Thank you for your review. You were staying in our hostel and paid for two beds. Next night you took just one bed and were told that its not possible to share it. However your girlfriend came back later and simply stayed there with you. Yes, it is stealing, because other travellers paid for theirs beds. Things like 'screaming' etc never happened. But thanx anyway.

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at Aivengo. The location is perfect, close to the canals and Jordaan which is a lovely area and just a few minutes away from Dam. I stayed in a room with ten beds on the 4th floor and the ambience between all the other guest was friendly and respectful. Good size lockers free of charge and very comfortable beds. Lots of hot water in the shower and the ability to prepare food in the kitchen (but eating out is more fun). It is a simple hostel but has all the basic commodities one needs. The girl in the reception was very serviceminded.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Having never stayed in a hostel before this one Deffinatly put me at easy. We had a 10 bed female dorm and it was really nice spacious, had our own little kitchen which was really handy. Location was really good. I plan to come back in October :)

• Stayed July 2013
Recanati, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

we found the hostel very easily since it's just a few hundreds meters away from Amsterdam's central station. our room was not ready yet, but they kindly let us leave our luggage close to the main desk, even if we found them to be unattended when we got back. but for this issue, what left us without words (besides the six floors without lifter we got to do) is the amazingness of the double room with private bathroom we chose. it's a huge place with a bed and two sofas, with a small kitchen and a bathroom with a bath thub. fast and easy check-out just getting our 10 euros back for the deposit of the keys. you must go there if you are a couple spending a few days in Amsterdam!

Room Tip: choose a double room with private bathroom
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Thought it was a bit over priced for what we got. If you get the four bed room you are just down the road from the actual hostel which is actually quite nice, although you don't meet any other people. All very clean and wifi was good. Sure there are better hostels around

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

The position of this hostel was really good, especially if you come in amsterdam by train.
But this is an hostel only for leave the bag, because if you want to sleep there, forget it. I think that a prison is more comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is quite simply the least inviting place I have ever stayed in, including three of Amsterdam's other budget hostels. That is to say I had low expectations but was still let down.

Why? There is literally nowhere to relax (the "reception" has two 2-seat couches and 2 stools by PCs for the 40 guests) and the rooms are freezing, and lit up like The Place Where There Is No Darkness in 1984.

Everything is clean, don't get me wrong, but that doesn't really cut it - no matter how clean a toilet is, I still want it to have a seat...

To top it all, the staff - while friendly and accommodating - have precisely no local knowledge at all. Ask about a cheap take-away, get directed to an Argentinian steak-house - ask about a good inexpensive coffee nearby, informed "it doesn't really matter, they're all the same".

This hostel was a big factor in me having a bad experience of Amsterdam for the only time out of four visits. Take my advice, stay in the campsite in Amsterdamse Bos. In fact, if it's summer time, spend the night under a bridge, it'll be a step up.

Room Tip: There are only 2 20-bed dorms in this place, no matter how cheap it looks, go elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Aivengo Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!