“Nice hostel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aivengo Youth Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Aivengo Youth Hostel
You added Aivengo Youth Hostel to your Saves list
Spuistraat 6, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #97 of 195 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Nice hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed in the 10 girl dorm and it was good. Lots of space, good bathroom and kitchen area. Only thing was people are inconsiderate of others. Coming home at 4am and being noisy is not cool but not the hostels fault. Clean and very centrally located. Really good! Friendly staff and happy to keep my luggage after I had checked out for a few hours. Will return next time I'm in Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Let me start by saying I backpacked for 9 weeks through europe this summer and have backpacked through numerous other countries. I've stayed in MANY MANY hostels and am usually pretty laid back about where I stay, but this was the worst I have ever stayed in. I don't know how its getting good reviews. I stayed here back in June. We showed up a few hours before their check in time pretty tired from our flights and soaked from the rain, and we were told pretty rudely to come back later. There is no proper luggage room to leave your backpacks, so we had to leave them in one of the dorm rooms until we came back to check in, and hope that no one would go through them. When we came back, we were put in one of the large dorms adjacent to the bathroom and reception which smelled like feet and stale sweat.

The bathroom, reception, lounge room and "kitchen" are basically one room. The bathroom was not enclosed so you would be sitting on the couches using the wifi, and you could smell the bathroom (pretty nasty actually). And when you wanted to use the bathroom there was absolutely no privacy because people are right outside the stall door on the couches. I say "kitchen" because it was a kettle, microwave and mini fridge in the corner INSIDE the bathroom. So you are making your morning tea or coffee while someone is doing their business directly behind you in a stall. Repulsive and NOT really hygienic. Also the only 2 mirrors in the hostel are in this bathroom, so for the girls getting ready in the morning or to go out at night, it was hard to actually use the outlets or mirror, plus no counter space except for what the microwave and kettle were placed on.

Overall the layout was horrible and slightly claustrophobic. The worst part was my boyfriend and I paid almost 40 euro/night each to stay at this dump. I would have expected a hostel to be this disgusting if it were 10 euro/night, but not almost 40! It was really hard to meet people because there is no proper lounge area or kitchen where people can relax and have a few drinks before going out. Seriously, the only good thing was the central location. Plus, they had lockers for your valuables, wifi (although you had to use in reception which smelled like [--]) and they didn't have bedbugs (surprisingly). Aside from that, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Kampala, Uganda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

The hostel is pretty average on the space and cleanliness, but loved the staff. Georgia and Pepe were awesome, and really made the stay. They were friendly and gave me great places to eat- Cheap and delicious eats if I may add.

Room Tip: 20 people in each room - no choice.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Fleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Staff was very friendly and helpful. It is so clean and cozy that it doesn't feel like a hostel, more like a small hotel. At the same time, you get to meet different people. It is located in the very heart of Amsterdam with easy access to all the attractions.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Sandvika, Akershus, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Me and a friend stayd there this summer in july, I didn´t see or hear the mices, but my friend got one in her bag....didn´t bother us much really. What did bother me was the cleanliness. The showers smelled a bit ucky and the shower curtains probably hadn´t seen a washing machine...in like forever! We sleept in the 20 man room away from the street, it wasn´t noisy. There was a mixup when we arrived about the rooms, so the first night we got a private room in the 6th floor...it was a simple room with a beautiful view over the housetops. But if you are going in the fall/winter time, I would recomend bringing a extra blanket. Some of the staff was rude and some of the staff was very friendly. downside about the curfue from 4-6 in the morning, we wound up racing bak to the hostell at 3.45...not fun. all in all, this is just a place too sleep...nothing else.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Hitchin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Stayed in the 20 bed mixed dorm. Bunks were comfortable worth bring ear plugs as there was always a couple of people snoring. The location is great its right next to a great street and had all the benifits of being central without being to noisy. Showers are good, mircowve and fridge where also handy. Its cheap which is the main thing, there is also free internet. Staff were friendlyand helpful. There are mice but they didnt bother me but it is worth storing food in the lockers or high up. Door is great for meeting people but is defenatily more suited to younger travelers maybe not families. Its really just a place to sleep more then anything else.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Herne, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

It was a horrible experience. Went there with my friends, we two girls, are really uncomplicated and do not have many expectations on our journeys, but that was really horrible. Bedroom (20 persons) was next to the street, no wall but a huge door next to the street. Felt as if I would sleep in a disco. Had to share my room with a family of mice, which were running around, because there was a box for them right under my bed. There sounds made me stay awake. My bag lay on the floor, I even found one mouse in it!!! horrible. Were were told not to eat food in our room, but we had just some kind of cookies etc. (closed) in our bags, which is really normal, I think. But the mice came. Stuff did not help us and told us that problem with mice was normal for Amsterdam... Felt negociated. Last night: Slept with two girls in my bed, because we were so scared. Never go there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends