“Ideal museum location!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #200 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Ideal museum location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

Me and my husband booked the hotel via fab website laterooms for a 3 night stay and booked at bargain price of €75 per night. When we got there, we had to leave our credit card details or pay a €50 per night hotel deposit guarantee, which we did not know about. This was the only major fault and niggle about the holiday - if I hadn't brought my "emergency credit card" we wouldn't have had any spending money. Our room was fine, other users have commented on size, but I don't agree - problem with showers is true though, but I just put a towel on floor and it was fine. Great to have dove shampoo and shower wash too, instead of those tiny hotel complimentary ones! Amsterdam is expensive though as a whole, and watch out for the death traps I mean bikes... They're everywhere. No one pays attention to the green man either so be wary when crossing the roads.

• Stayed February 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights and it had everything we needed and more. The front desk staff was very accommodating and our room was huge and exceeded our expectations given the price we paid. The location is great, it is very close to museums and right next to the canal. The only downside were the washrooms, the frosted door didn't offer much privacy. I could see silhouettes of my boyfriend while he was in there haha...Make sure you're VERY comfortable with the person you are sharing a room with as it can be awkward.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

I was very pleased with this hotel. We had just come from Paris and spent at least 50 more euros on that dump of a room. The Apollo Museumhotel was clean, modern and perfectly convenient. Breakfast was included and was very enjoyable. The staff was pleasant and the rooms were spotless! This was by far the nicest hotel we stayed at in Europe. We are already planning our next trip.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

the hotel is located in an excellent location, near Paradiso concert hall and walking distance from Leidseplein, and at the end of the PC (high end shopping street).
The hotel itself is plain good, nothing fancy, but excellent priced. Recommended!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

As I needed to visit US Consulate at Museumplein, husband chose this hotel for its location. Hooftstraat is an upscale shopping street that you can find in any small city, with nice Kiehl's around the corner from the hotel. Unlike other reviewers, I found this hotel clean, quiet and newly renovated. Have certainly stayed in smaller rooms in France and UK so size was not an issue (although we did NOT have a queensize bed, just a ''cozy'' double). Had to request a coffeemaker, but staff, in particular bartender Helen, were all lovely and helpful. Biggest complaint -- no desk lamp on either side of bed, inexcusable in single or double room, had to turn ceiling lights off from wall switch, and height of tub way too high to safely exit --- took a few moments of maneuvering as I treasure my ankles and a sprain would take months to heal. If you are young and agile, you may not mind. Also, the website says parking -- what parking? One must use the paid lot at Museumplein. Many good restaurants around of all sorts, we did not indulge in the E12.50 breakfast. All in all, not bad for E60. And don't accept a basement room.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

We stayed at the Apollo Museum Hotel for 2 nights 3 days. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk to two trams around the corner (the 2 and the 5 which both come and go to Centraal Station). Surprisingly there is no ramp to go into the hotel. Rather you have to climb about 10 steps with your luggage into the hotel. We were immediately able to check in. They asked for a credit card to keep on file (which I thought was weird because the room was paid for). Nevertheless they made a "copy" of it (more about this later - it's not bad I promise). We were on the 4th floor and the elevator is big enough to fit two people with two 25" inch suitcases and a few stragglers. To comment about the smell that the reviewer below mentioned - I think it was from the carpet. There was a mildew-y musk in the hallways that is certainly not refreshing but I think it stemmed from all the wet shoes coming in and out of the hotel (It had unseasonably been snowing for the past few days). That said our room did not smell at all. If anything they sprayed something to make the room smell fresh upon entering. The room is small! A lot of reviewers have mentioned that and it's very small! We kept our suitcases by the door and we had to squeeze to get in. I can't imagine two large size people comfortably staying in this room. However, if you plan on just using the room to sleep at night then you should be just fine.

The bathroom - while it looks pretty it's not exactly functional. The sink is pretty, but ours didn't drain very fast because the water would stay around for a while. Not a big deal - we stuck the end of our toothpaste tube under the drain (if that's what you call it) and the water went down a lot faster. We left it like that for housekeeping to see and they fixed it. They include large size Dove shampoo/conditioner and body wash in the shower and by the sink. The shower isn't very functional as well. If you take a long shower - good luck. The way the shower is installed it's on the same level as the sink and toilet. There's no step into the shower. So if the water doesn't drain right away it leaks out into the bathroom. After each shower we would use over towels to mop up the floor. It wasn't that big of a deal when given we had hot water and good water (not hard, not soft).

It was kind of cold in the room and we couldn't figure out if the heating was on. But from reading the previous review it seemed there was a hotel wide issue. We put on the highest temperature we could but it was still cold. Not a big deal when we went under the covers - which honestly was weird that there was only a comforter and not a blanket. Usually in hotels there's a decorative blanket/quilt, a textured blanket and another linen. Here there was only the comforter, but I have to say was cozy and warm. The bed has a foam bed then the mattress so you kind of sink into it. But it was comfortable. I must say I did fall asleep fast. Our room was in the back so no issues with noise. I did notice there's a fifth floor and it's stairs only access - so good luck if you have heavy luggage.

Breakfast was included in our package. And it was good - there were croissants, rolls, toast, apples, and oranges, cold meats ham, turkey, salami), cheeses, cereals, yogurts, coffee, hot chocolate, juices, etc. After you sit down you get asked to fill out a form with your name and room info - I guess for either stats or to see if breakfast is included in your package.

Onto the credit card - there's free wifi in the hotel which is a plus. I saw two computers hooked up to a printer for guest use which is always nice. Since it was the end of the trip I wanted to make catch up on bills and banking. I noticed there was a charge for the hotel (about 130USD). I wondered for what since the room was paid for and it couldn't have been a deposit. "Oh no it was that stupid sink!" I thought. When we checked out I asked about it and they said it's just security measure/deposit, but that it would be credited back to my account. It wasn't a big deal as I had enough in my checking and several days later the charge disappeared and all was well in my checking account. I would recommend if you're checking into the hotel to make sure you have enough money in your account for their "charge". Because it would be terrible if you were "charged" and you didn't have enough money and you were given an over charge penalty.

All in all, yes it was small, but the room was clean and tidy and in a great location. You're about a 10-15 minute walk to Leidesplein and about a 40-60 minute walk to the Anne Frank House. Given the location (you're around the corner from the Rijksmuseum, and nearby the Van Gogh Museum, and the Stedelijk museum). I would stay here again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
McMinnville, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Stayed there 5 days on the recommendation of a travel agent. The staff were nice, breakfast was good. We didnt reserve the full 5 days in the beginning and almost moved, but it was so much easier to stay. (My friend is handicapped) The place has a smell about it and yes is small. Make sure you book ahead of time on a (UK or mainland websites) as the rates can vary alot and go WAY up on the weekends. It is right next to the museums and across from an canal cruises(do first). All in all I would recommend you look elsewhere. Amsterdam is soo easy to get around in-trams, bus, canalbus, etc! The Jordan area is full of local flavor and very central also- I will look there next time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel? Share your experiences!