“Great hotel in a great location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel

Save Saved
You added Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel to your Saves list
Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P C Hooftstraat 2, Amsterdam 1071BX, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #197 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Lisburn, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in a great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed in the hotel in early December during an impromptu trip to Amsterdam. I was just looking for somewhere that was cheap, clean and close to Leidseplein. This hotel did not disappoint! It was located only a short walk from the Rijksmuseum with trams and other attractions (Heineken Experience, Paradiso) only a short distance away. Despite not booking well in advance I got a great value room for half the price of other hotels in the area. Upon my arrival I was warmly greeted by the reception staff who couldn't have been more helpful and was checked in quickly. My room was on the second floor and despite it being a little on the small side, it was adequate to my needs. Even though the bathroom was compact, it was spotless, modern and had a lovely shower. The wardrobe was at the foot of the bed so was a tad awkward to open and close the door without having to get on the bed but it was fine in the end. The bed was really comfortable and I got a great sleep too. Didn't sample breakfast due to an early departure time. All in all I'd definitely stay in this hotel again and look forward to going back to Amsterdam again soon!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Many thanks for leaving us your comments regarding your trip. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel, although the room was a little small. Unfortunately most of the rooms in Amsterdam city centre are compact but the location makes up for it. I have shared your feedback with the team, this was much appreciated.

Hopefully we can meet you again in the future.

Kind regards,

1,064 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed here on Mon 23rd Dec to Thurs 26th Dec. We had stayed in this hotel twice previously and having been happy with the service all-round, we chose this hotel again for our festive trip to the city. On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff, we checked in, we were given codes to use the free WIFI service and we were shown to our room. We were given a room on the basement floor and the staircase leading to the room was very tight to move around in especially with our luggage.
The room was fine at first, just the same type we had been in before: twin beds and en-suite shower room. The first problem we had was the internet as we quickly discovered that despite being given codes for our devices, there was no connection in the room and we could not access the internet at all.
Second issue was the small flat TV in our room which was practically hidden at the side of the wardrobe and difficult to view. So far poor TV viewing and no internet connection.
The next problem was the real big issue. The shower room with toilet is positioned in the room. The unit is quite small but easy to use, however the entire cubicle smelled very strongly of urine. We thought it might have been the toilet bowl but despite flushing several times the disgusting smell would not leave. We then noticed that the mirror behind the toilet had dried in spray marks all over it and that the spare loo roll in the cubicle looked like it had been dropped in the toilet pan and left to dry. When I picked the loo roll up the smell of urine coming from it almost made me sick. I then noticed that the ledge behind the toilet pan was filthy and had a dried in substance all over it. It was then clear to see that the mirror, the ledge and the spare loo roll were soaked in urine. I immediately threw the spare loo roll in the bin and wiped down the mirror. I had to use shampoo and a hand towel to soak down the ledge and wash it off. I cleaned it myself because the smell was so strong I couldn't wait for a member of staff to be asked to come and do it.
The next problem came the very next morning with the complimentary tea and coffee making facilities. We knew from our previous visits that guests need to ask for these facilities to be brought to the room. I couldn't call reception to order this to our room because there was no telephone number for reception listed on the phone in the room, it was not on our check in card or in any of the hotel literature in the room. So my friend got dressed and went up to reception to ask for the facilities. About 15 mins later she returned carrying a tray with a senseo coffee machine, paper cups and milk portions etc. When I asked why she'd had to bring the tray down herself she said that staff up stairs had told her they were busy serving breakfast and no-one could deliver it! I then noticed that the two paper cups we had been given were both used and dirty inside with remnants of someone else's coffee in one of them and there was a used coffee pad in the machine. Basically we had been given dirty facilities!
The final insult came when we asked asked to check out late, as it was Boxing Day and our flight was not until 8pm that evening. Standard check out time at this hotel is 11am and after reading the hotel room brochure we discovered that we could check out up to 5pm on the day of leaving at a charge of 25 euros. We decided to do this but when asked at reception we were told that the charge for late check out was 10 euros per hour. We said that we'd read the brochure that advertised a price of 25 euros up to 5pm and we were simply told that the brochure was wrong. We were not given an explanation or an apology for the incorrect advertising, just simply told that the brochure was wrong. As we had already pre-paid for our room and we wanted to have the late check out as we had planned for our trip, we had to pay the cost that the receptionist told us. So we arranged to leave at 2pm on the check out day. We spoke to 2 separate receptionists about this arrangement on 2 different occasions, however on the day of our check out while we were still in bed there was a loud knock at the door, which woke us, by a confused member of staff asking if we were checking out that day. It was only 11.30 and our long lie in had been ruined.
I am thoroughly disappointed with my stay at the Apollo Museum Hotel this time and I will definitely not be returning.

Room Tip: There is no internet reception on the ground floor despite this being one of the facilities advertis...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Yaounde, Cameroon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights after previously having lived in Amsterdam. The place is conveniently located near Rijksmuseum, public transport (trams 2,5, 7, 10) all within 500 meters. The staff at the reception were friendly but easily overwhelmed. The rooms was on the 4th floor and in a corner with view of Rijksmuseum, it was quit as we requested. The room was in 'Amsterdam style' very small (17m2) with an equally small bathroom but it was all well appointed for the size. Modern appliances and comfyish bed.
We had breakfast twice and the buffet was ok, not very varied and sometimes crowded. However the value for amsterdam is good at around 110 euros give and take. For what you pay you get good enough value. We liked the location which is quiet but still central.

Room Tip: We had 414, good view and quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Martijn,

Thank you very much for leaving us a review on tripadvisor. It`s Always great to read feedback from our guests. I am glad you have enjoyed Amsterdam again. Hopefully we will meet you again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

next morning I realized the window was not well closed. I asked at the front desk to check it. after I came back to the room, it was already fixed! Thank you. I could have well sleep after words. The room was clean and shower room is correct for me.
It was bery confortable!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Mr/Mrs Fumiyo,

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad to read that you have been pleased with the prompt service in the hotel. Your feedback is much appreciated and I will share this with the team and the maintenance department.
We are looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

Kind Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This hotel has a great location in Amsterdam, close to the Museums, shopping stores, the casino, nice restaurants to eat and good bars to hangout. The place is comfy, clean, warm (especially for winter time!) and the staff are attentive! And above all, is not super expensive!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
sjoerdverkooijen, Front office manager at Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay and that the staff was pleasant. Our location is indeed one of the best.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.

With kind regards,

Front Office Manager
Best Western Apollo Museum hotel
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We arrived with a small child in a pram and we were given a room on the 5th floor, inaccessible by elevator and with a very dangerous, steep staircase. There is no porter so we had to climb the stairs with the pram, child and 4 suitcases by ourselves. We came down for something to eat late at night but were told there is no kitchen in the hotel. Drinks not served past 1am, and even by 10pm it was hard to find someone to serve you drinks, you had to request a bartender at the reception (!?), the bathroom basin made it impossible to wash your face, the room was tiny, no electrical outlets, our room did not have a single bedside table or lamp (it was either 6 bright spotlights directly on the bed or lights out) and there is a slant to the floor at the top of the steep staircase to the 5th floor. It caused my daughter to fall, thankfully she stopped rolling down the stairs at the 4th step, it could have been much, much worse. We informed reception about how incredibly dangerous the stairs are and they did not even pretend to care.

Pros:Good location, clean and OK price
Cons: Rude reception staff, poor design, poor amenities

Gets marked down for a very near miss at badly injuring, possibly killing my daughter!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel? Share your experiences!