“Be careful!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel

Save Saved
You added Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel to your Saves list
Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P C Hooftstraat 2, 1071BX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #194 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Calgary, Canada
“Be careful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I had a room booked for seven days. The first room was the smallest room I've ever seen. Ultimately I was moved twice to a bigger room but it was in the basement. It's sort of half underground. The housekeeping was deplorable. I brought a cup of tea to my room and the empty cup sat there for three days. When I came back to my room on the third day there was also a bag of garbage sitting on the ironing board so I took both the garbage and the cup to reception. The beds in this room were old box springs that were the worst I've ever slept on. The glass bathroom doors leave absolutely no privacy. There is a public washroom down the hall but those glass doors are not clear so you can't see in or out. I can't imagine why the bathroom doors in the rooms are not also the same. The pictures that I saw on line are nothing like what I saw. There are a number of steep steps going up to reception so hauling suitcases up is challenging as there is no one there to help you. The location is perfect but that's the only good thing about this hotel. Lots of better choices available.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

913 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights last week, wish it had been longer. Staff at reception were very friendly and helpful, had the best 2 nights sleep i've had in years!! Room was very clean and spacious. I had a view of the courtyard at the back, was only in room to sleep though so view didn't bother me!!

Breakfast was included, was continental.. breads, meats, cheeses etc etc, was all very fresh and tasty and there was loads of it!

Hotel location was brilliant, street round corner was all designer shops (we went when it was closed to save a fortune) tram stop is right round corner, Boat tours on canal across the street, hop on hop off bus just 2 min walk away. Hard Rock hotel and big busy square within 5 mins walk too.

Would definatley stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to anyone staying in Amsterdam

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Mrs Claire,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking your time to leave a review of your stay on Trip advisor. I am delighted to read what a fantastic experience you have had in our hotel. The hotel is very central located as you mentioned above and I am glad you have been able to experience the best of Amsterdam so far. Thanks again for your feedback and I will share the feedback with the entire team.

I am looking forward to meet you again in the future.

Kinds Regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This hotel was cheap, and there are many reasons why. The first room we got was absolutely tiny. Not big enough for a couple and there was no floor space to put 2 suitcases. The bathroom had a glass door, which is a ridiculous idea, and that meant that there was no privacy and the light would illuminate the whole room at night. Also it was on the ground floor so it was noisy. We asked for an upgrade, and thankfully the staff were nice and gave us the best room in the hotel (apparently). It was better in that there was a lot more space. But it had the same stupid bathroom door and the furniture was old and dated. Furthermore the lift didn't go up to that floor and the bed was right below a window, so we would be woken up as soon as the sun came up.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
sjoerdverkooijen, Front Office Manager at Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. We are always trying to improve our products.

Altough I realize rooms in Amsterdam can be a bit small I sincerely hope you enjoyed your overal stay with us and in Amterdam. My apologies that you did not liked the ‘’glass’’ door. Fortunately it is not possible to see though it.

Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

this hotel is not fancy but for what we needed it was perfect!!! LOCATION...LOCATION...LOCATION!!! Close to the museums, close to tram stops. The staff was helpful, friendly and wonderful. The breakfast buffet was fresh and had a wonderful variety of foods. The rooms are small but we weren't there to stay in our rooms...and they were very clean. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan,

Thank you vey much for taking the time to share your review.

I am happy to read you enjoyed Amsterdam and that we could be a part of it.

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Great place to stay. When we arrived, we were upgraded into a bigger room. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. The only downside was the "extra charges" we were given on check out... However it is in a fantastic location and it is a very pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all gongratulations with your marriage, we wish you all the luck in the world.

I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay altough I am a bit suprised by your last sentence. If there is anything unclear please do not hesiate to contact me.

Hope to welcome you again at the following anniversaries.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my sisters and we were looking forward to a fun trip in Amsterdam. Although the hotel was in an ideal location, that turned out to be the ONLY thing good about our stay at the Best Western Apollo.

For the most part, the staff and service was okay BUT we received horrible customer service and treatment by a gentleman (I use that term loosely), Gerco who was the front desk person who worked at night.

We were given a room at the basement level where it was dark, cold and extremely loud. On our first night, we requested additional blankets which Gerco delivered. However, he became terribly rude to us because our room was only double occupancy but there were three of us in the room. We explained to him that upon us booking the hotel room, we told them that we would have three guests in our room but he continued to insist that my little sister LEAVE the room-- at 1 am in the morning, mind you.

We offered to pay extra to have the three of us stay in the room but Gerco became increasingly rude and persistent. He wanted my sister out of the room. We refused and told him she was not leaving.

We complained to the manager the next day and eventually moved to another room after another night in the basement room. We were told that Gerco's behavior and treatment of guests is normal for him. Its our opinion he should not be in the hospitality industry if he treats hotel guests in this fashion.

Although the rest of the staff was very friendly and accommodating, sadly, I cannot give the hotel a good rating based PURELY on Mr. Gerco's service and attitude.

The first night it was cold in the basement

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments.

My sincere apologies if the nighstaff did not give you the service you may expect from us. Unfortunately it is not allowed to stay with 3 persons in a double room for safety reasons. Nevertheless I regret the situation but I am happy to see you informed us and we found a proper solution.

Gerco is wellknown for his outstanding service and once again I am sorry if you felt this was different that night.

Hope to welcome you again next time and show you this was an unfortunate incident.

Best Western Apollo Museum hotel Amsterdam City Centre

Been to Best Western Apollo Museum Hotel? Share your experiences!