“Different experience!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wibautstraat 150, 1091 GR Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #162 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Different experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for two nights it was four stops away from the train station which was how I got into Amsterdam which only was five minutes via the metro (bought a two day pass for the metro when I arrived only 14 euro) the style of the hotel is different and yes even in its unfinished state it gas a certain feel about it that is quite nice.

The finished work is new and stylish however if you're sharing a room with a friend or associate the visible bathroom layout may not be comfortable to you. The staff were very nice spoke english and deutsch and I would imagine dutch as well. For the price I paid I was more than satisfied the breakfast could have better but the club that opened on the 7 floor at night was phenomenal. It was a fantastic experience would definitely stay here again even if they never complete the finish work in the room ( non tiled floors or finished on ceiling)

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Janneke H, Public Relations Manager at Volkshotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hi John,
We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!
About the room design: all glass bathroom walls will be covered soon. When it comes to the non tiled floor and concrete ceiling: both are part of the design, so we're not planning on 'finishing' them :) We hope to see you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I am writing a few hours after having left the hotel. It has been a great experience, I finally found something different and original. I stayed here with my father for 4 days and 4 nights. The hotel is 10/15 minutes by bike from the centre or a few stops if you prefer to use the underground, just in front of the hotel. It is situated in the eastern district of Amsterdam, really interesting to visit, of course different from the crowded center, but here we felt the real dutchie atmosphere.
The hotel is a must-do for hipsters, young people or whoever likes to experience something special, for families too. On the top floors there is a kind of club with a great view of the city, canvas where you can enjoy eating (I especially recommend the rich and yummy breakfast) bathtubs and sauna. There are many places to relax and meet people even on the ground floor, next to the reception.
The staff is very kind and helpful, many young people. The location made me feel like I was home.
The only "problem": even if the rooms were great, the bathroom gave a beautiful view on..the bed. So it is a bit awkward if you're staying with someone you are not very confidant with. I think the reception will solve the problem.
If you don't like this place, well, maybe Amsterdam isn't the right place for you.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I found this newly opened hotel on a search for unique accommodation.

It is a little out of the central ring (three subway stops) but I preferred being away from all of the tourists anyway.

The lobby, bars, dining and rooftop are all great social spots. Cool design and comfortable. The rooms are quirky, and while some points are great - heaps of storage space and the loft in the quad room, and fabulous big windows, some are not for everyone - the clear glass that divides the shower and toilet from the main room in the double (i'm not prudish at all and stil thought it was a tough call), and a bit of thump thump on the 6th floor from the nightclub on the 7th.

The beds are comfortable, though our sheets were a little scratchy (felt like only about 25 thread count), and the breakfast was pretty yummy with bacon and pancakes as well as the usual cereal and bread fare.

They seem to be ironing out a few other kinks while they are still building, and as it's a little off-centre I just accept the fact you can see the men's urinal from the rooftop hot-tub/sauna area (even if it's just weird).

Having said all of that, it is good value for what you get, and if you want somewhere that is not a standard hotel motel, then this is it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Volkshotel do things their own way! Which was why it was such a great experience to stay there. I loved the design of the place, and the staff, who were so so personable and made us feel very welcome.

There were a few small details missing within the room as mentioned in other reviews, but really only finishing touches. When you check in the first thing you should do is go for a cocktail on the roof terrace, and in the morning breakfast at Stek across the road! If you like Volkshotel, pick up one of their own illustrated maps of the east, which has all the hotel's recommendations.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

First visit to Amsterdam, three fab nights spent in Volks Hotel, originally booked for two nights but enjoyed it so much we stayed an extra night, recommended by our son and girlfriend as they live a street away. A little bit of work still goin on, finishing touches only. Definitely brings a whole new meaning to the word "Hotel " and after a lot of laughing when we saw the shower and bathroom concept , we will be staying at this hotel EVERY time we visit our son, FANTASTIC..... Hired our bikes less than two minutes away and metro only a couple of minutes walk from hotel door into Amsterdam Central with another connection to the airport. As for the staff , all young and very happy about their work, helped us with everything. So thank you to everybody working in this wonderful new hotel for making our first trip to Amsterdam a very very happy memory. Hope to be back with you in October. Thank you.

Room Tip: All are special !!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We booked this hotel with the realisation that it was brand new (opened 27/06/14) and not quite finished, so will still be a construction site.. but it added to the atmosphere and experience. Walking into the hotel after hours of travelling with backpacks and blistering heat, I felt instantly refreshed and energised.
We got it at a great price: £99 for 3 beds 2 nights (inc 1 breakfast)
The hotel had easy check in and out and had all the essentials, including a hot tub, sauna and an amazing rooftop! What more could you need!
We didn't eat tea at the restaurant but had a amazing breakfast, felt like 5 star dinning.
The staff were sooo polite and helpful to finding attractions etc and you getting a amazing graphic map. As we English are terrible at speaking any other language they can probably speak it better than us.

In conclusion VolksHotel has a great place, tho it isn't 100% ready yet but I knew that before I got here. They're 8 minutes on the metro/underground to Central Amsterdam. Near a supermarket for the cheapos buying breakfast & lunch like we did, and next to a bike rental place.

We're so glad we stayed at VolksHotel, a hot tub is exactly whats need after a long day of backpacking, interRailing and seeing the sights.
I will be recommending this hotel and will certainly stay again.

Regards,
Callum Scott, Tom Hawthorn, Mark Woodbridge
xx

Room Tip: Whilst the place is under construction you may get woken at about 10am by building noises.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel prior to completion date for my 30th with my boyfriend and our friends. It stared upon booking that the hotel would be completed and open by June. We arrived at the hotel early to be greeted by a building site in the foyer with hammering and drilling and the reception staff being unable to hear us. We left our bags and returned at 4pm to be informed that our room was not ready. We wondered around the hotel and had drinks at the bar area on the ground floor. We where then informed that the only available toilets where on the 8th floor. The men if the group informed us that their hand basins were out of order and there was a note on the floor advising them to use the sink in the ladies toilet!
After waiting a further 30min we where given the keys to our rooms.
Rooms are small and are 'completed' however the amount of concrete visible makes the room feel incomplete.
The pictures on the website show a picture covering the shower glass. There was no picture at all, the shower and toilet are directly next to the double bed and you can literally see directly through to the
toilet!!
Upon returning to the hotel both evenings we where questioned by a club doorman who we where. In both occasions we had to show our room key in order to gain access to the 2 lifts available. The hotel has a club on the 8th floor and quests appear to have to join the growing queue if clubbers in order to access a lift to your room.
When checking out if the hotel, we where informed we had not paid our bill. I explained we had booked through a website and given our credit card details therefore felt we had paid in full. The receptionist explained that they only request our details but do not take payment until checkout. This was never explained to us (lesson learnt to read the small print on future bookings). Luckily I had a credit card and had to pay for both rooms. I will be checking all previous statements to ensure no payment was made!
Location is 4 stops on the metro from central station. Metro was very easy to use but last train appeared to be 12:20am.
No other shops, cafés restaurants appeared to be located by the hotel, we travelled into the centre daily.
I am aware that there are teething problems with every new business and new build in however I was under the impression that the hotel would be complete so to turn up to a building site was a but off putting with builders roaming each floor. I doubt I would stay in this hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2014
Janneke H, Public Relations Manager at Volkshotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Hi L,

So sorry to hear we didn't meet up to your expectations.
Our staff did try to inform all of our guests upfront about a slight delay in the construction work, and the fact some of the work still needed to be finished after opening. Maybe this e-mail didn't reach you?

The work that still needed to be done also involved the public toilets and the coverage of the glass bathroom dividers. All will be fixed soon.

We're sure your credit card won't be double charged for the payment of the rooms. If for some reason this turns out to be otherwise, please contact our reception.

Although you have your doubts about attending our hotel again, we do hope you'll give us another chance in the future.

Best,

Janneke

Been to Volkshotel? Share your experiences!