“Did not meet expectations!” 3 of 5 stars

Volkshotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wibautstraat 150, 1091 GR Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #170 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Liverpool
“Did not meet expectations!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel prior to completion date for my 30th with my boyfriend and our friends. It stared upon booking that the hotel would be completed and open by June. We arrived at the hotel early to be greeted by a building site in the foyer with hammering and drilling and the reception staff being unable to hear us. We left our bags and returned at 4pm to be informed that our room was not ready. We wondered around the hotel and had drinks at the bar area on the ground floor. We where then informed that the only available toilets where on the 8th floor. The men if the group informed us that their hand basins were out of order and there was a note on the floor advising them to use the sink in the ladies toilet!
After waiting a further 30min we where given the keys to our rooms.
Rooms are small and are 'completed' however the amount of concrete visible makes the room feel incomplete.
The pictures on the website show a picture covering the shower glass. There was no picture at all, the shower and toilet are directly next to the double bed and you can literally see directly through to the
toilet!!
Upon returning to the hotel both evenings we where questioned by a club doorman who we where. In both occasions we had to show our room key in order to gain access to the 2 lifts available. The hotel has a club on the 8th floor and quests appear to have to join the growing queue if clubbers in order to access a lift to your room.
When checking out if the hotel, we where informed we had not paid our bill. I explained we had booked through a website and given our credit card details therefore felt we had paid in full. The receptionist explained that they only request our details but do not take payment until checkout. This was never explained to us (lesson learnt to read the small print on future bookings). Luckily I had a credit card and had to pay for both rooms. I will be checking all previous statements to ensure no payment was made!
Location is 4 stops on the metro from central station. Metro was very easy to use but last train appeared to be 12:20am.
No other shops, cafés restaurants appeared to be located by the hotel, we travelled into the centre daily.
I am aware that there are teething problems with every new business and new build in however I was under the impression that the hotel would be complete so to turn up to a building site was a but off putting with builders roaming each floor. I doubt I would stay in this hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2014
Janneke H, Public Relations Manager at Volkshotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Hi L,

So sorry to hear we didn't meet up to your expectations.
Our staff did try to inform all of our guests upfront about a slight delay in the construction work, and the fact some of the work still needed to be finished after opening. Maybe this e-mail didn't reach you?

The work that still needed to be done also involved the public toilets and the coverage of the glass bathroom dividers. All will be fixed soon.

We're sure your credit card won't be double charged for the payment of the rooms. If for some reason this turns out to be otherwise, please contact our reception.

Although you have your doubts about attending our hotel again, we do hope you'll give us another chance in the future.

Best,

Janneke

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I booked this hotel knowing that it was brand new and not quite finished. It is going to be an amazing place and very popular as the years go on.
The hotel has an adventurous vibe and very friendly staff, easy check in and out and well priced food. What more could you need!

There are just small things missing like a bedroom bin, a bath mat for the floor, the printed privacy screen for the glass between the bathroom and bedroom. Large screws sticking out of the wall which we used as towel holders but I assume is going to be for a bathroom shelf.
I had thought the air con didn't work but it would seem it's synced with the windows and won't work unless they are firmly closed, a very sensible design but not something I'd ever come across.

The bar is great and whilst we were there we got to celebrate the World Cup quarter final, we got out of the lift to go out and were greeted by a very long queue of locals waiting to get up to our bar. We didn't realise this place was so popular and very quickly changed our plans and went back to the 7th floor (without queuing, thanks to the kind reception lady as we were residents).

We didn't get as far as the hot tub on the 8th floor.

Overall this is a great place, it isn't 100% ready yet but I knew that before I got here. They offered an unbeatable price and they're 8 minutes on the metro to Central amsterdam, I took a chance with Volkshotel and I'm so glad I did. I will be recommending this hotel and will certainly stay again.

Room Tip: There is a small amount of traffic noise in the front rooms but it wasn't anything to wake us up
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much! We're looking forward to see you again!
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

What a great place!!!!
Love it from top to bottom!!!
Music, art, food, drinks, workspaces, hot tubs, sauna, mixed crowd and a very good creative vibe!!!
This is what Amsterdam needed!!! I'll be back soon!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Marco S, Public Relations Manager at Volkshotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thanks so much, Jeanne. Till next time!

Been to Volkshotel? Share your experiences!