“Good value for money.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Funky Chicken

Save Saved
You added Funky Chicken to your Saves list
Funky Chicken
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Spuistraat 90, Amsterdam 1012TZ, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
London, United Kingdom
“Good value for money.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights and was very pleased with the facilities and location to the city centre. The apartment was clean, comfortable and a reasonable price, smoker friendly. Would recommend and definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Hostess (tremendous): from the onset declared the apartment to be smoker friendly (good o!) and made it known that should anything go awry if when sampling products well known to Amsterdam, to let her know to make sure we were ok.

The four of us had a fantastic time and would only have to walk a couple of minutes to Dam Square where we would usually start our day off.

If you are looking for a luxurious stay with internet access do not book.
However for room, location and value - do the Funky Chicken.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Andover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was my 6th trip to Amsterdam and I usually stay in hotels, which used to allow you to smoke but as they don't anymore, I looked for a smoker-friendly place and found Funky Chickin.
I booked directly through their website, which was very easy and Lina answered my many questions quickly and thoroughly.
I was still a little nervous about it all, as I'd never booked a place like this. But there was really no need to worry as it was excellent.
Myself and a friend arrived at the apartments at 11ish in the morning (check-in time is 14:00)
I called Maya (property manager?) from downstairs and she came down and showed us around our apartment. She checked us in, gave us all the info we needed on the apartments: House rules, etc. The rules are very straight forward, they basically say you leave the place as you find it, don't make excessive noise after 23:00 etc, I think they're very reasonable, and how you should act wherever you stay.
Maya was fantastic, I had been to Amsterdam 5 times previously, but I think Maya gave us more info in 15 minutes than I had learned on my other trips. She gave us a very handy map, and pointed out some good coffee shops, restaurants, bars, clubs and how to get there. (Walking, tram numbers etc)
Maya also asked if we were smokers and gave us a nice little present, which was very much appreciated ;)
We stayed for 4 nights and found lots of 'quirks' in our apartment, although none of these minor things were enough for me to knock the rating down, as they added to the character of the place. Please be aware this is not a hotel where everywhere basically looks the same, it's a 350 year old traditional Amsterdam house.
The stairs are an adventure, you need to make sure you have everything you need before going in or leaving your apartment. You really don't want to be making an extra trip up and down them stairs!
Location is fantastic, right in the middle of all the action, without too much noise.
There is a big supermarket 5 minutes away behind Dam Square (Albert Heijn) that has everything you will need.
Maya offered to let us lock our bags in a cupboard in the apartments after we checked out, as our flight was later on. We didnt take her up on her offer, but could very useful for some people.

All in all, we were very impressed, this was exactly what we wanted. A good base to explore the City, and a comfortable apartment to chill out in, if we fancied it.
The next time I go to Amsterdam, I will definitely check if Funky Chickin is available before I check anything else.
I have put a video on YouTube if anyone wants to see the layout of the place.

Thanks again to Maya, very friendly, very helpful lady!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Having stayed at a previous hotel managed by Sonia, we booked our long weekend at the Funky Chicken without any hesitation. Once again, we were impressed with the service - our flight being delayed and us finally arriving at 03:00 in the morning - Sonia let us check in and showed us around the apartment without even mentioning our late arrival ! The flat was clean and had all the "next-day" necessities. There was four of us and the studio flat was definitely big enough, and was very quiet and safe at night. The location is great seeing as it is right next to Dam Square, the tram line, train station and a great number of bike rental companies. We would like to thank Sonia once again and we definitely recommend staying at the Funky Chicken :))

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Funky Chicken? Share your experiences!