“hugely dissapointed!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Funky Chicken

Save Saved
You added Funky Chicken to your Saves list
Funky Chicken
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Spuistraat 90, 1012TZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #36 of 174 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Scotland
“hugely dissapointed!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We booked this place based on the good reviews via trip advisor, on arrival we met Sonia who was lovely, polite and very helpful. The apartment was not what we expected it definetly needed a good clean and a lick of paint would not of gone a miss. We paid approx £750 for 5 nights in this place and we did not get value for money. We did not expect the ritz, however did expect somewhere fresh and clean. We were told the toilet had been leaking but were unprepared for the smell and after one night and my other half being sick from the smell we were unable to put up with the smell any longer and the shower cubicle was dark and unclean and not a shower we would of felt revitalised from. There was no internet available as stated. My other half spoke to Eric (The boss) and he said he would "upgrade" us to another apartment they had which we believe to be called "Amsterdam Cribs". The place granted was larger but that was about it. I could of fed an army with the food stuffed inbetween the 3 sofas and I knew for sure I would not be using the kitchen to cook in. We deceided to make do and get out and about, however on reflection and seeing what else we can get for our money we will not use these apartments again. As much as Sonia was very apologetic for the issues we had we were very much dissapointed with the standard of these aparmtments. The plus side for the apartments are that they are in a great location for being right in the city centre.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
chillinAmsterdam, Owner at Funky Chicken, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
The reason that we were late checking you in is because we had our cleaning crew in there to do the monthly deep clean. I know my cleaner very well and can say without a doubt that the apartment was very clean for your check in.

I just had the apartments painted less than a year ago. I cannot control how my guests treat the apartments and I cannot repaint them every 6 months. I do everything I can to keep the apartments as nice as they can be.

I spoke with you on the phone and I never told you the toilet was leaking, I had said that we had a plumbing issue before but it was repaired and that I was shocked it happened again. I also said that I would have someone come out to take care of it and that I would call you back with some options. Sonia made it clear upon your check in that if there was something not right or if you needed anything, you could contact her. I am unsure why you would suffer and get sick when all you had to do was say something the day of your check in and I would have had the plumber come out that same day to resolve the issue. Again, the shower was clean and we use bleach to clean our surfaces. The paint is light grey - this is paint not dirt and it is very obvious because show our pictures on the booking sites.

We had internet, the router just needed to be restarted and Sonia even came up to your apartment with her laptop to check the internet connection and it worked with her laptop.

I am the owner of Funky Chickin, Eric is not "the boss" he is an affiliate of mine who honored my rate and allowed for your booking to be moved to his apartment. You did not stay at Amsterdam Cribs - you stayed with their affiliate (we do use many of the same affiliates). If you found that apartment so dirty, then you could have mentioned it as well and not stayed there for the remaining 4 nights. We would have been very happy to refund your money since you were so very disappointed with everything.

Funky Chicken has a website with pictures of the apartments and a Q&A section that covers lots of common questions and answers to help people know what kind of accommodations they are booking. I suggest that everyone read it through before booking.

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

If you are staying in Amsterdam and you are going to have soem fun, then get an apartment. Most of the hotels in Amsterdam are pretty shabby or really expensive. An apartment means you can come and go as you please and have somewhere to mong out...

We thought the Funky Chicken was fantastic, it's not the Ritz, but it is perfectly situtated near Dam square in a more quiet location with some great food next door and soem great coffee shops in the immediate vacinity. One of the coffee shops Grey Area is one of the best in Amsterdam and is just a 2 minute walk away.

Upon arrival we were given a great gift to get things underway, we smoked it all. We were amazed to see that there was a stack of smoking equipment availble in the room, things people have left over the years.

You get your own , towels, bedding, shower, cooking, bathroom facililties for each apartment so you are free to do what you want when you want...

We left carrier bags, so you can get some munchies from the supermarket just around the corner as you have to pay for carrier bags.

I have lived and worked and played in Amsterdam and this is the best place i have stayed in all those years, I wont stay anywhere else now...

I higihly recommend the Funky Chicken, you will love it trust me.

Room Tip: If you book a hotel in Amsterdam get one on the edge of the central city and dont use a hotel chain...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I cant fault this place, a nice welcome by great staff, tidy rooms and a good location. i love it here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ramat Gan, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed here during april with my mom and her friend, we had triuble finding a place because of queens day and when I found this place I was very happy.
The only thing I was a bit worried about was the smoke free policy - as I am a non smoker and so were the people I traveled with.
The payment transfer went smoothly without any problems, all of my questions were answered really fast by email and directions were sent to me on how to get there.
Upon arrival to Amsterdam airport, we took a train to Amsterdam Central (take notice the ticket machines take only creditcards and the irst option will offer first class sits - which is pointless so read well), you can use cash on the human stations in the corner of the huge place.
On the train I called that we have arrived (which was 10am), and were told we have someone waiting at the apartment.
The walk from the station was really fast and the directions were written very well.
The woman waiting there named Sonia, was very nice and let us leave our suitcases at her apartment while we went to discover the city. Everything is very close together, 5 minute walk to literally everywhere. We found a really nice place to eat too if you like mean - the Runch house I think it was named ( the toilets are up the scary stairs. all the way up).
After 2pm we went to the apartment, the one given to us was on the last floor and was made out of 3 floors!
Btw, when we first saw the stairs I think our hearts skipped a beat. After actually getting all the suitcases and going down and up without it was not so scary - warning - if you drink or smoke... just be carefull.
The one thing I must note is that it was quiet. We didnt hear the neighbours, and unless you open the door to the apartment itself - no smell of smoking - unless you are very sensetive to smells and then its not your place to stay.
The apartment itself (remember the top one) has the bathroom on the lower floor. then stairs - toilets and the living/sleeping area, on the attic (how cool is that?) 2 more beds and thats about it.
Very romantic btw to sleep under the rain in the attic and you can combine the 2 beds.
The apartment itself has everything you may want. which you can read about on their site or in other reviews.
Now when you order write to them directly - you will get lower rates then the lowest on the other sites.
When I will visit amsterdam again this place is sure on the list of first places to check if available.

And remember - No kids under 18 are allowed - probably why was so peacefull!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Belfast, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The thing that struck me the most was the quality of the apartment, it was modern and classy with both gas hobs and microwave, a decent size fridge for the all important bacon & beer, TV/DVD, separate shower and a little present on arrival. 10 days is a long time to stay in any city and despite having a limited budget to go out we still had a ball as everything we needed for a chilled time was in the apartment
Sonia was so helpful, recommending things to do, places to go out for the night and some of the best coffee shops - all of these were extremely close by as you are only a 5 minute walk from Dam Square and 15 minutes from the two main districts for heading out on a night. She was also happy enough for us to have a couple friends over (before 11pm) for a few drinks before going to a club.The place was spotless when we arrived and after Sonia cleaned it halfway through the stay.
The only thing to watch for is the dreaded second step on the stairs which is a nightmare when you have a few drinks in you!
Really would recommend here for a young group of mates or a couple wanting a good time in Amsterdam looking somewhere chilled to base themselves. Had a great time and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The top floor 'penthouse' is highly recommended
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Funky Chicken? Share your experiences!