“Passable” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport

You added Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport to your Saves list
Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Melbournestraat 1 | Lijnden, 1175 RM Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #113 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Passable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

This place is clean and near the airport. Furnishings and amenities are cheap. Security is good and there is a safe in the room. There is a free shuttle to the airport every half hour during normal hours but you must reserve a place. The restaurant is OK but a bit expensive for what you get, as is the bar. There are no other places nearby to eat. They told me my breakfast was included in the price when I checked in but later got a 17 Euro bill for it. It is not worth that. The wireless is free but it was so slow and weak in my room that my computer refused to connect.Ethernet did work. There is a place in the lobby to print boarding passes. The hotel is quiet so if all you need is a landing pad near the airport it works. Haven't tried anything else in the area but I will next time since nothing stands out for this.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
MArlman, General Manager at Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Lasrman,

Thank you for your detailed review on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to read that you’ve enjoyed the rooms and the shuttle service to and from the airport. In regards to your review about the price in our restaurant I would like to let you know that our prices compared to the prices in Amsterdam city center are on a same level and I'd also like to share with you that we offer special deals when booked in advance. For your next booking I would like to encourage you visit the Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport website where we offer the Best Online Rate Guaranteed, subject to terms and conditions. Regarding your feedback about the breakfast that was included but afterwards you needed to pay for it, I would like to let you know that my Front Office Staff and I are always happy to help you and find a solution for the wrong bill when you tell it us that day. Of course this will not take away any inconvenience that you’ve experienced and I am therefore truly sorry.

I hope that we will welcome you again in the near future.

With regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Warsaw, Warszawa, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I spent here over 1 month in autumn 2011 on a business trip. Park Plaza is a large hotel, which is (I presume) chiefly designated for travellers arriving at Schiphol and attendees of conferences hosted at hotel premises. I was basically very satisfied with high level of service and decent accommodation quality, however I must say certain furrniture were screaming for rejuvenation. I found variety of breakfest sufficient for me (I didn't get tired of it even though I must have had it more than 30 times!). Park Plaza is capable of receiving hundreds of guests so you must be prepared for some commotion happening in the lobby during their busy period. Although the hotel makes a reasonably good impression, I wouldn't recommend it to those who are planning to commute to Amsterdam on a daily basis. One option is to take a walk to the nearest tram station (10 minutes walk) and then approx. 45 minutes ride before it gets you to the city centre.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MArlman, General Manager at Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear M_Anton85,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

I am really happy to hear that you are satisfied with the high level of service and decent accommodation quality that we offer. I also really appreciate your comment about our breakfast. The breakfast is the most important start for a good day and I am happy that we can offer you that. Finally, it is a 45 minutes ride with the tram to get into the city center of Amsterdam but during this ride you will see a lot of Amsterdam and as you say, it really is a good option to get into the city.

We really hope that we can welcome you again in the future in this hotel or in one of our affiliate hotels.

With kind regards,

split
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I honestly do not remember how many times I have stayed at this hotel in past few years , but I do remember the service at every establishment I have visited . And for Park plaza Amsterdam airport hotel , I can tell you , service gets better every time I visit . And that is the reason I keep coming back . I stayed again just few days ago , and from arrival to departure , it was excellent experience . Booking over Carlson website took all of 2 minutes . Shuttle bus was on time at the airport . Maikel , Sheestina and Safira ( I hope I got the names right ) were very efficient and fast at the check-in , and as a Gold card holder , I got ( again ) free upgrade to a beautiful room . They do this every time I visit , and every time they managed to surpass my expectations . Room was big and spacious , amenities are very nice , and WI-FI was working without a glitch . This was my comment last year , and it is nice to see hotel actually listens to guests . Nice personal note from the manager , 3 small glasses filled with chocolates ... What more can you ask for ? Breakfast time , Yolanda was there to greet me , and it felt like home away from home . Selection is delicious , and if you expect more choice or more whatever , go somewhere else and pay more . What this hotel has to offer is way above the price I pay . Seeing Melanie at the front desk next day was pleasure again , having a long talk ( it was a slow day ) , and again , this is what travelers need - a bit of conversation , be remembered . Hotels all over have different rooms , beds , whatever , but to me , it is always people and their hospitality that decides if I am coming back or not . And I keep coming back to this one , and will , as long as I can . Yes , it is far from town . Can you use Google maps and see that before you book ? Yes , there is not much to see around . Again , wanna see Amsterdam ? Book a hotel in Amsterdam . Or take a tram , station being all of 10 minutes walk away from hotel . That gives you a chance to see a bit of suburbia . This is Amsterdam airport hotel - read the signs . Hotel location gives me time to relax , catch up on my work , and for that , this is a perfect place . Departure time - again , swift check-out , shuttle on time , and goodbye's from the staff like telling goodbye to a friend . Overall - yes , I am coming back , no doubt . For those of you , my fellow travelers , I suggest to read hotel descriptions and addresses before booking ,and then there should be no disappointment . Thank you for another wonderful stay , PPAA :-)

Room Tip: Executive rooms are very good .
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Vroc,

Thank you for your great comment that you wrote on TripAdvisor!

It really makes me happy to read that you always enjoy your time at Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport. For us the main reason is to make you feel welcome and give you a home away from home. It is really good to hear that you appreciate the free upgrade again. It is for us very important to have you in our hotel. You are a VIP for us and we really appreciate your loyalty. I also want to thank you for your nice words about our staff. I shared your comment with them and it made their day.

We really are looking forward to your next visit in our hotel!

Nijmegen, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

The above quote was written by American commedian Seth Myers describing customer service in the Netherlands. I believe this perfectly illustrates the attitude of the staff at the Park Inn at Schiphol.
After 3 cancelled flights, I was provided with an overnight stay at this hotel by KLM. I realise this means the room was free, but from the moment i arrived i was treated rudely by the staff.

When i attempted to put down my credit card to charge extras, I was told this was not possible as the room was free. When i tried to pay for a bottle of water at the bar, the barman rudely asked why i didn't put down a credit card when i checked in. The morning shuttle driver tried to leave without taking 3 of us (one smoking, one talking on the phone, me eating a croissant.), and yelled at me like a schoolteacher berating a student when i asked him to open the door and take us to the airport. Apparently the shuttle driver thought it was beneath him to actually transport people.

Ok rant over. No - wait - there is no Wifi in the rooms. The clerk explained to me that they do offer wired internet in the rooms, and that is the same thing. When i tried to explain that neither my telephone nor my ipad work on a wire, he told me i should have brought a laptop.

If you ever want to stay at Schiphol, i suggest the Hilton or Citizen M. Heck, i'd rather sleep on the street, or a bench in the airport then stay at this place again.

Please note, the Seth Myers quote above has been edited to make it family friendly, as per Trip Advisors policies.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
MArlman, General Manager at Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Bob V,

First of all I would like to let you know that you wrote a review over Park Inn hotel and placed it at Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport. It is really sad to hear that you had a bad experience at Park Inn hotel. I have informed TripAdvisor that this review doesn’t belong to our hotel.

I hope that we can welcome you in our hotel in the near future.

With regards,

Izegem, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed here for two weeks in November 2013. The rooms are decent. People seems to have mentioned that they have a 30 minute free shuttle. However, most of the other hotels in the area have a free shuttle every 15 minutes. So when you are stuck in the cold, the extra 15 minutes count.

They have a buffet in the morning that is cheaper if you intimate them the night before that you will be eating there. If you aren't a big eater, look at their express breakfast menu. It has a standard list of items that you can get for a much more reasonable rate. Also, keep a track of the number of days you actually do take the buffet option if you are there for a long period. My colleague had only eaten a 4 or 5 occasions but was charged for more. He luckily noticed it before the billing and credit card swipe.

Staff seem a little green. I asked for my Lufthansa frequent flier to be put on my stay and presented my card. However, this was not done. When I asked Lufthansa for a retro active credit they told me that I had been given club Carlson points. When I asked Park Palaza to give me my card number over email, they gave me an incorrect number. The number belonged to someone else and I couldn't register at their website.

The gym is pretty good. However, you can never tell how crowded it is going to be. I have been to the gym at the exact same time in the evenings and have had all the machines busy to having no one else in the hotel.

The tram to the Amsterdam Central can be caught at some distance away from the hotel. It is slower and you do get to see a lot of the city. A faster way is to take the shuttle to the airport and then take a fast train to Centraal.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
MArlman, General Manager at Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear K_P_Pais,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

We do have a lot of options to buy your breakfast and it is nice to hear that you appreciate that. For the inconvenience about the bill I would like to offer you my apologies. Therefore I am very happy that the problem is solved on the check-out day.

I am also very sorry to hear that you received a wrong Club Carlson number. If you have the time you can always contact us to give you the right details for you Club Carlson Card to make sure that you receive the points.

Finally, I am also happy to hear that you like to travel by tram to the city. You do see a lot of Amsterdam if you take the tram from our hotel.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

With kind regards,

Pune
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

If you have early morning flight from Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam, Hotel Park Plaza is very convenient. The airport shuttle starts at 5.15 am and is free. Room are very spacious, very clean with LCD TV, tea/coffee maker, free Wi-Fi in rooms. It has everything which you can think of in a hotel room luxury. The hotel is away from the city centre but very calm with water channels around. However, the breakfast is very expensive, but you do not need a breakfast if you have an early flight. The tariff is euro 54 for the night. I must say, it is a cheap, convenient and comfortable hotel to stay for the night.

Room Tip: If you want a room on a specific side, you will have to pay euro 25. The lady at the reception asks...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear DahiyaR,

Many thanks for your review on TripAdvisor.

Your kind review is truly appreciated. This kind of recommendations is very good for our hotel and therefore I want to thank you for that. In regards to your feedback about the prices of the breakfast I'd like to share with you that we offer special deals when booked in advance. For your next booking I would like to encourage you visit the Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport website where we offer the Best Online Rate Guaranteed, subject to terms and conditions.

It has been a pleasure to have you in our hotel and I hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Stayed in this hotel before my morning flight to Manila. The hotel, although just a 10-minute drive away, is near the airport but not within walking distance (You’ll have to pass a highway). There’s free Shuttle Service (30-minute intervals), however, and you just have to look for the blue Park Plaza van in the designated area in the airport upon arrival (towards the right-most part of Schipol). When coming from the hotel, reserve your spot in advance by getting your shuttle ticket at the reception. Driver was very pleasant and helpful, too bad I didn’t catch the old man’s name.
Lobby is spacious, check in took longer than usual, for reasons unknown to me. Room was ok although I would have preferred 1 double bed instead of 2 singles put together. It is clean and has enough space for guests’ luggage. I hope management considers providing wifi access in rooms and not just in the lobby. Lobby floor was crowded during the evening as it is full with people (even some were in their sleepwear!) accessing the internet and the seats/couch therein are not enough to accommodate everyone. I did not have time to try hotel food.
The ride from the hotel to the airport was chaotic, I suppose they can improve service considering that it can be fairly expected that a huge volume of their guests have morning flights to catch. Lots of people were getting angry/impatient with the shuttle service when I was leaving. I'd still stay in this hotel though, I liked its ambiance and I got the comfort and convenience I expected before my long journey back home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
MArlman, General Manager at Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear GieroGirl,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport. Thank you for your nice comment about our shuttle driver. I have told him your nice comment and he was very happy to hear it.

In regards to your feedback about the Internet service I would like to share with you that we are currently looking at several options with different companies to improve this service. Furthermore, I would like to let you know that we have plenty of rooms with double beds. If you are visiting us in the future please tell the Front Office staff that you prefer a room with a double bed instead of a twin bed. They are always happy to help you and find a solution for your problems and requirements. Finally, your comment about the ride with the shuttle bus on your departure I’d like to let you know that I spoke with shuttle driver to make sure that this will not happen again in the future. Of course, this will not take away any inconvenience you have experienced during your stay, for which I would like to offer my apologies.

I am very happy to hear that you will visit us again and we are looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

Hotel Manager

Been to Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport? Share your experiences!