“Average Experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport

You added Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport to your Saves list
Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Melbournestraat 1 | Lijnden, 1175 RM Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #135 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Average Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My booking was an unorthodox one, as my flight was overbooked, and I was forced into a hotel in close proximity to Schiphol airport. I like to plan these things carefully, and in advance, so I was already not in the best of moods.
Let's deal with the positive points first. The shuttle bus was regular, the driver friendly, the seats not uncomfortable, and the trip both short and free. The front desk staff were helpful, despite putting up with an awful lot of crap from other patrons on issues that weren't the hotel's fault.
I never tried the food, I was on a schedule.
The hotel corridors were... foreboding. Reminiscent of an overnight ferry (but not as well lit).
The room was adequate for the purposes. My shower was a bit temperamental, but that wasn't the end of the world. I had a problem with the room temperature, but that may well have been me, and not the fault of the hotel. ;)
The worst thing about the hotel was the smell in the lobby. I'm guessing it was stagnant water.. there was definitely a sewer-y reek about the place. Not something you want to be hit with upon entering the place which will be your temporary home.
So, all in all, average. Highly dependent on available pricing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
MArlman, General Manager at Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Stormachtig,

Thank you for taking the time to put your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are happy to see that you've enjoyed our Front Office Staff in being hospitable and welcoming during your unexpected lay-over.

I am sorry to note your comments about a smell in the lobby. I can assure you that his is not regular occuring problem and this is the first time I hear about this. I will nevertheless look into it and will do everything I can to prevent this situation in the future. My apologies.

Thank you for your review and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had a great stay. Pros: location across from the train station so easy access from the airport, trams and buses also go from there. Walking distance to themain attractions. Cons: breakfast is expensive for a small buffet. Rooms were clean but the walls are sooooooo thin you can hear everything

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MArlman, General Manager at Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you francis b for this great review with the perfect header! I am glad you’ve experienced our location as convenient and positive. This is wonderful to hear.

I am sorry to note your comments on your breakfast experience, I have shared these with our Restaurant Manager to ensure the variety and the high standards of the breakfast usually delivered is maintained. I also like to share with you the better prices when booked in advance.

Thanks again for your recommendation and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel before a flight, at check-in I was handed an information sheet that had all the important information about the hotel. The hotel rooms themselves are modern and very nice, and the staff was otherwise friendly, but when I went to check-out I ran into a problem. The information sheet said airport shuttles left every 30 minutes at 5:15 -- very clearly. I arrived in the lobby at 5:30 to check-out and get the shuttle to the airport, when the manager told me that there was no 5:45 shuttle, early in the morning it was only once an hour. Even if there was, I'd need to register for it (also not on the information sheet).

I was meeting a colleague for breakfast at the airport, and missed this because of the shuttle fiasco. The hotel refused to provide an alternative way to the airport. This is really poor way to treat loyal customers.

The way the management handled the shuttle situation was a total put off. Other reviews on TripAdvisor seem to indicate that customer service isn't a strong point here and it shows.

I won't be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear berlinflyer83 ,

First of all I'd like to thank you for your feedback. Your comments are of great importance to all of us and will help us in our efforts to continuously maintain and improve the standards to the level you may expect from us.

I'd like to apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience with our shuttle service and the lack of information provided to you. I will look into the information sheet and will adjust where needed to make sure this situation will be prevented in the future.

I sincerely do hope to be able to welcome you in our hotel again in the future to make sure your next experience is a positive one.

Olomouc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I made the hotel reservation via a travel agency, a few weeks in advance. Since we would be arriving late I made a phone call to the hotel, informing them of our late (11 PM) arrival, to make sure that we would have a room. They acknowledged our booking, confirmed the advance payment, and assured me that the room will be available. That same evening we arrive at 10:30 and they tell us that they are over-booked. I simply cannot believe that that did not know this when I called in the morning of the dame day. They then offered us another “also 4 star” hotel in the city. We accepted this offer, since we had no choice. When arriving at this alternative hotel we quickly came to the conclusion that whilst it might be a 4 star on paper, in reality it wasn’t much more than a student dormer. We therefore demanded to get rebooked to the Park Plaza hotel opposite to the railway station.
So we got two lies on one day: a firm confirmation that the room would be available to us; and the suggestion that the alternative hotel was of the same quality.
Rather than avoiding issues for us they chose to let us come there at 11 PM, to then move around the city for another one and a half hour before we finally arrived at an acceptable place to stay. Unacceptable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Peter J,

Thank you for your review, however, I am sorry to note you did not enjoy your stay with us.

In the rare occasion we have an over-booked hotel, the change and transportation to an available room in one of our other hotels in the area is usually smooth and without any major hiccups. It was never our intention to turn your arrival into such a stressful one, and I regret to read that you perceived our miscommunication as lies. My apologies.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future so we can get another chance to make your visit a positive and great experience.

Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed for one night: Selected the place due to its proximity with to the airport train station and it was one of the cheapest deals at USD 85 per night on expedia. This is an airport hotel 9 kms from Schipol Airport. There's an airport shuttle every 30 mins from hotel/airport which makes the location of this place irrelevant as we can travel from the airport by train to almost anywhere. The hotel is close to a tram station which I didnt try.
The hotel room was clean with the regular set of LCD TV, Comfortable bed, Cupboard, toileteries. Breakfast is charged extra. Wifi is available in public areas but I did get the signal in my room. Else you need to connect through the LAN cable.
Staff is not friendly: typically no nonsense and cold- but doesn't affect much other than check -in.

Room Tip: Not much choice here: There are one's facing the highway & one's facing a BMW showroom
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
MArlman, General Manager at Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for your review pankaj078.
I am glad you’ve enjoyed your stay with us and experienced our location as convenient. This is wonderful to hear.

I am however disappointed to read you found the staff during check-in not friendly. I apologize if they came across as such, especially since being hospitable is one of our priorities. In my opinion it’s not enough to enjoy a clean room with a comfortable bed, on top of this you should feel welcome with us. I do hope we can welcome you back in the future to redeem ourselves.

I also hope that by that time our internet service will have coverage throughout the entire hotel; our Technical Department is working hard getting the connection in place.

Once again thank you for your recommendation and feedback and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

After a long trip, we arrived at this hotel only to be told that they were overbooked and did not have a room for us, a room I reserved 5 months ago! To their credit, they had arranged a booking at another hotel which was actually at a better location for us. They fully paid for the taxi to the other hotel and for the return to the airport the following day. My only complaint was the receptionist and the way this was handled. She was quite abrupt and did not seem to care how disappointing it was to not have a room for sleep after an 12-hour overnight flight nor have another 40-min taxi ride to the next hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Cynthia H,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that even though you had to experience the rare situation of an over-booked hotel, the solution to change to another hotel was offered swift and to your satisfaction.

However, I have shared your review with our Front Office Manager and our Reception Staff as I do agree that friendliness and customer service is of the highest importance in situations like these.

We’d welcome the opportunity to redeem ourselves and look forward to doing so in the near future.

Quito, Pichincha, Ecuador
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I guess you could say that at least there was wifi but it's not that nice to skype when you're in the lobby with a 100 other people trying to do the same. The rooms were big and nice, also it had a great view from our window. Probably it's a good idea for staying close to the airport but it's way too far from the action of Amsterdam.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review e125angel. It’s wonderful to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay in one of our spacious rooms.

In regards to your feedback about our internet service I am happy to let you know that our Technical Department is currently working hard to have a Wifi connection in place throughout the entire hotel. In the near future you will be able to enjoy your Skype conversation while being in the private setting of your room.

I also like to share with you that even though we are located in the proximity of the airport we provide an easy shuttle service to and from the city center of Amsterdam. Our staff at the Front Desk is more than happy to inform you about all the transportation options to experience the action of the city.

Once again thank you for your review and comments. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Hotel Manager

Been to Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport? Share your experiences!