After having a nightmarish experience at the NH Amsterdam Airport I booked into the Park Plaza with minimal expectations, given its relatively mediocre reviews on this site. I'm pleased to report that those expectations were pleasantly exceeded and my perspective on this property is a sterling one.
I grabbed the shuttle from Schiphol, which given the hotels distance from the airport (close to 15 minutes) is somewhat irregular -- so be prepared to potentially have to wait a few minutes. I was in no rush at the time so I wasn't much bothered by it.
Check-in was quick and pleasant, the receptionist informed me that the spa was available for use should I be interested and sent me on to my room located on the second floor. I booked on Priceline (rate of $68) so was expecting the traditional 'booking agency' shaft and a room on the maligned 'sub' floors based on the experience of some of the other reviewers here.
The room itself was very nice and clean. Lighting was soothing, bathroom spectacular (stand up shower only,) and bedding quite comfortable. TV channels were somewhat limited, no in-room movies available. Internet was not free as far I could gather. No mini-bar or mini-fridge.
Noise throughout the night was sparse, if not totally non-existent, which I was not expecting given this locations categorization as an airport hotel. Check out is at noon, but I didn't end up coming down from my room until 1:15 ... no harassing calls from the front desk or knocks on the door from housekeeping, which I quite appreciated!
There is no fee for a return shuttle to the airport, although the hotel requests that you do make a reservation which was simple enough.
If you intend on using this hotel as a hub for travel into Amsterdam city be aware that it is a bit of a process but very doable. Schiphol has trains running the short trip into the city at frequent intervals and the only thing you need to plan for/contend with is the shuttle to the hotel. Ideally you'd be looking for a hotel closer to the center, but in the high season sometimes the price isn't quiet so easy to swallow.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport is strategically located close to the A9, a 10-minute drive from Schiphol Airport and Amsterdam centre. The hotel offers a private shuttle service. Pick-up from the airport is free of charge, return is at a fee.The hotel offers comfortable rooms, a stylish bar and restaurant, a mini-gym and a wellness centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook and Tingo so you can book your Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport Hotel Amsterdam
- Holiday Inn Amsterdam Schiphol
- Amsterdam Holiday Inn