“Great Location and Friendly Owners” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Frederic Rent a Bike - Rooms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Frederic Rent a Bike - Rooms
Brouwersgracht 78, Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #64 of 301 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
chicago
“Great Location and Friendly Owners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our extended family of 5 stayed at the Chris-Tofari apartment for 2 nights in June. The ideal Jordaan location is within walking distance of the central train station, cafe's, shopping and all the sights. Owner Marne was friendly and helpful, taking time at our arrival to give us a map and point out local spots for food and sights. A small, organic cafe a few minutes away called Vinnie's was our favorite breakfast spot. The apartment is on two upper floors, requiring a relatively steep climb up 2 flights of steps to get to it (normal for Amsterdam!). The apartment is spacious, with the upper floor containing 2 bedrooms- with an oversized comfortable double bed and a twin bed in one room and a small double bed in another room, with the only bathroom for the apartment on this top floor. On the floor below there is a tiny bedroom with a twin bed, along with the kitchen and living room. Both floors have views of the street and canal below plus good WIFI internet service. The large diningroom table is a nice spot for working on the computer, eating and chatting. Though the apartment is in need of minor improvements and enhancements (apparently soap is not provided in Amsterdam apartment rentals but we would have appreciated a few small bars of soap in the bathroom), you will enjoy the nice location and staff, making Frederik Rent a Bike rentals a good choice for visiting Amsterdam.

Room Tip: The Chris Tofari Apartment requires climbing several flights of steps which may be difficult for gue...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Petaluma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We rented Houseboat IX from Frederic. It located along a canal next the the Anne Frank house in the Jordaan neighborhood of Amsterdam. The houseboat is only 15 minute walk from the central train station and convenient to trams. There are great cafes, restaurants, bars and grocery stores within short walking distance. The Frederic staff was very friendly and helpful. The houseboat is rustic, but comfortable, complete with kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom. It is a spacious accommodation for a couple, comfortable for a couple-plus-one by using the sleeper sofa in the living room. The only potential negative is that the bath tub/shower is 3+ feet off the ground to make the plumbing work on a boat. This if fine if you are reasonably fit, but could be a problem for those with limited mobility. Oh, and there is a church nearby with loud bells, but whoever rings them is a talented musician. So, unless you are the Hunchback of Notre Dame or of similar persuasion, I think you will find the bells to be a positive addition and you will always know what time it is!

We loved staying here and it was way, way better than a hotel. Recommend Oliva's tapa bar just up the street---delicious tapas and a great wine list.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Milano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We didn't get to stay but we passed by to rent bikes and were shown a couple of rooms... we really regretted not knowing about this place before. Prices were fair, the atmosphere is great and the people are really nice. Will definitely go back there next time for the bike, the rooms and the candy they offer at the cashier!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

At the recommendation of a local, my friend and I were told to check Frederic Rent a Bike after a hostel we had previously booked was a huge disappointment. My friend decided to pay for a room at Frederic, while I stayed at my original hostel. Even though I was not staying at Frederic, I was treated with such respect and friendliness! I went in and out with my friend during the day, and not once did the employees complain or urge me to go back to my real accommodations.

The room my friend stayed in was cute and cozy, with a creative mural, a comfortable bed, and some dish ware in the room. Access from the front of the house was simple, but after hours you must enter from the side door, which leads up to the owners' apartment, and back down to your own rooms. If you're intent on having a rowdy and loud time in Amsterdam, then, this place is not for you. Please note that the owners do have 2 cats that stay upstairs. They are friendly and they never go to the guests' area, but if you are allergic, take caution.

My friend and I were quite surprised by the free marijuana and spirits supplied, to be used at the guests' leisure. Because the apartments were so quiet and calm, however, this was not a problem.

The location was great as well, in the centre of town but on a quiet road facing a canal. Bikes are also able to be rented, which allows for a convenient, exciting exploration of the city. Overall, I was very pleased with Frederic Rent a Bike, even though I was merely a friend of a guest. If I venture to Amsterdam in the future, I will definitely consider staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Winston-Salem, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We were in Amsterdam for 6 nights. We wanted a house boat experience, so originally we worked out with Marne to stay 3 nights in a house boat (which wasn't available for our whole trip) and them move to stay in their Haarlemerstraat apartment for the remaining 3 nights. We got to the boat, and there was very loud construction going on outside the house boat (which of course the owner nor Frederic's could do anything about). I asked if the apartment happened to be free for all 6 nights, and it was. Long story short, Marne's mom (Marne was on holiday while we were there) helped us set things up to move and stay the entire time at the Haarlemrstraat apartment.

I also ran into a wifi connectivity problem while I was there (and it was really important for me to be online for my job). It ended up being a password issue (my instructions had lower case letters and in reality it was upper case), but both Frederic's and Nelly (apartment owner) were really concerned about the problem!

Overall I felt like I was a "high maintenance" and bumbling customer during my stay, and even still the Frederic's team (Marne's mom and Nelly the apartment owner, specifically) really, really bent over backwards to try to do everything in their power to help. If I ever return to Amsterdam, Frederic's will have my business again (if they'll have me!).

A few other notes...

The Haarlemerstraat apartment was really, really wonderful. We briefly walked through the Houseboat II, and while it was very functional...I'm really glad we had an excuse to stay in the apartment for our entire stay.

The stairs to the Haarlmerstraat apartment are not for the faint of heart. Since I like to overindulge on vacation (why yes, thank you, I will have cheese with every meal!), I appreciated the mini-workout of the really steep flights of stairs. However, if you're overweight or have a bad knee of something...you might need to stay somewhere else. Remember you'll have to haul your luggage up them, too.

Marne's mom "map drawing" for us while we checked in was really worth half of the fees we paid for the stay, by itself. She carefully showed me where I was, where central station was, where all the key attractions were, and made many restaurant and shopping recommendations (with names and notes drawn directly on the map). She even pointed out near-by and excellent grocery stores so we could eat some meals in. All of her recommendations were excellent and that map ended up being worth as much as a whole stack of travel books.

I admit I didn't really like a lot of Amsterdam. Parts of it felt seedy and like a giant tourist trap. However, the Jordaan area was this wonderful breath of fresh air. The restaurants in that area are good. It's quieter and I felt MUCH safer walking around. I think nearly all of Frederic's rentals are in Jordaan, and for that fact alone I'd recommend staying with them.

Room Tip: If available, try for the Haarlemerstraat apartment.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I booked a last minute week holiday in a boat house at Frederic Rent a Bike for March 26th 2013. The company asked in advance for my credit card number to make the reservation. The next day, the renter replied to me that the boat house I asked for was unavailable for the week. They suggested another more expensive boat house that was available only for three days. They added that for my reservation to be confirmed, I had to fill their on line form again or go to their office on 78 Brouwersgracht. I answered online that I would take the boat house and come to finalize the reservation at their office. In the mean time, I found another hotel that was available for the 5 days and decided to change my minde. In the end, Frederic Rent a Bike charged me 500 Euros, even if I never slept at their accommodation and never completed my reservation.

I consider that company untrustworthy since they do not follow their own reservation policy. They change there confirmation policy to suit their needs. For a customer, it is really hard to have a clear information from that company to help you make an informed choice. Be aware. Since they have your credit card number, they can do what ever they want. I tried to worked it out with them by email but they would ear none of my arguments. I am really disapointed in the management of Frederic Rent a Bike of Amsterdam.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Marne S, Owner at Frederic Rent a Bike - Rooms, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
As is stated within his review of our property, Mr Chabot made a last minute reservation for one of our houseboats. Upon receiving last minute confirmation of the booking, our management and cleaning staff worked tirelessly to have the boat ready for the arrival of Mr. Chabot. However, Mr Chabot never arrived, and over the next few days, was unreachable by phone. Eventually, we received an email from Mr Chabot stating that he had decided to rent another property in Amsterdam.

Whilst this is an unfortunate situation for Mr. Chabot, our cancellation policy is clearly worded on our website (a client will be charged the full amount of the booking if a cancellation is made within 7 days of their scheduled arrival), and by completing an online reservation form, Mr. Chabot agreed to this policy. It is very important that our clients read and understand our cancellation policies before they make a booking, and, should they have any questions, not hesitate to contact us.

Regards, Marne Sieger

Co-owner Frederic Rent A Bike
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed on Houseboat IX right by the Anne Frank House and had a wonderful time. The boat was clean and had every mod con we needed, very spacious and in a great location - you could keep an eye on the queue for Anne Frank House from boat! Frederic are friendly and very helpful letting us know the best places to go. We hired bikes from them too which was great and good value. Highly recommend this company and this houseboat!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Frederic Rent a Bike - Rooms? Share your experiences!