“So bad its Good” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tamara

Save Saved
You added Hotel Tamara to your Saves list
Hotel Tamara
Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 144, 8561 AS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #287 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Armagh, United Kingdom
“So bad its Good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We found the location easily. got in and paid, when we entered the room there was an elderly man who turns out to be the owner asleep on one of the beds. fair enough there his beds. the electricty went out, but we did get candles or as the elderly man put it "romantic lighting". we could smoke in the rooms which was a big plus, but every time we left the room we got a good lession about christ the son of God. Also someone not in our group left a dirty pair of womens pants in our room. Weird but of you want a crazy and unpredictable time come here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Liverpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed here with 2 friends for 3 nights and can honestly say it was the worst hotel I've ever had the misfortune of staying at. Upon arrival the owner started to go on a rant about "English people" which I can't say thrilled me. I could not believe the state of the room, it made me feel sick! The bed blankets had some kind of mold growing on them which I can only say I've seen on bread in the past, the walls were half painted and everywhere smelled terrible. The little black cat was cute but if you're not a cat person it would irritate you being stalked and followed to your room. By day 3, myself and my friend were covered in bites which I can only assume were a result of bed bugs. I didn't expect anything fancy but I at least would expect clean bed sheets, this was a last minute booking as there was a conference on so everywhere was booked but I would rather pay extra in future if just for a clean bed! I urge anybody thinking about staying here to stay anywhere else, only in Amsterdam could somebody earn a living off such an awful establishment as most customers are probably too high to care!

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else if you want to enjoy your holiday!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have read some of the reviews describing this place as dirty, I found it 'shabby' but clean. Great location and quiet considering where it is. Murphy the cat was a lovely addition to the crazy staff team. Taz, the old guy who generally oversees this hostel was a mine of information and purveyor of copious free cups of tea which I need to keep me going. I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for.. if you want luxury, don't book a cheap hostel!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This hotel was actually better than expected having been to Amsterdam and stayed in the centre quite a few times. Stairs are steep as they are anywhere in Amsterdam. Room was small but when your on holiday it's just somewhere to sleep, which was CLEAN! :) Taz and his Cat made the stay even better with friendly random banter as we passed. Great warm shower too! And if your that way inclined, they allow you to smoke out the window too ;)
Being so close to Damrak it is surprisingly quiet, but in a very central location, just round the corner from Dam Square!

Room Tip: The rooms at the side of the building are quieter as it is on a small lane. And although it is one...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Inexpensive, central 'Hotel' with a slightly run down air.
I guess you get what you pay for, so don't expect too much and you'll find the experience quite acceptable.
Rooms really are on the small side, but they're clean enough and the communal facilities on the landing (each floor) are adequate. Has a sister Irish bar, The Blarneystone, if you really are missing Guinness and large fried breakfasts.
Staff were particularly pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Okay so going to Amsterdam we had to find some where cheap so booked super budget hotel Tamara and despite what I'm going to tell you were looking at going back next year!! Crazy I know.

So when we arrived we went in upstairs they are steap but thats Amsterdam. We met the old man who runs it, I do believe he use to be Australian and just randomly decided never to go back. He is a little coocukoo but not in a bad way I just think he likes to talk. There is a lovely black cat that wonders about however dont let him outside! The place does smell a little funky mainly smoke so I'm not complaining.

Rignt our room
So our room at first looked okay, obviously we had read previous reviews so new what we had in store. So 3 of us had brought sleeping bags and 2 had brought duvet covers ( so you can sleep inside them), right so plus side no bed bugs so always good however do not pull your sheets back just put your sleeping bag or sheet on top climb in so your not really touching the bed and go to sleep. However this is what caused our first alaughing fit, we made that mistake! We took our sheets make and founder sheets were covered in biscuit crumbs and pubic hairs= /

Then we pulled sheets back to look at mattresses and to be fair everyone's looked okay bah a little bit of mould except mine had a little bit of blood on it urgh. But we did all laugh especially when we tried our beds out some were literally chicken wire ! And others felt that you were sleeping on breeze blocks.

Later that night we had our second laugh when we eventually got back to our room a little wobbly from the nights antics we had all just got into bed when some one used the loo and our sink began to do the most disgusting gurgling noise for everyone to laugh to. Also beware for the thousands of flies you will find in the morning.

It is a little loud but thats because your so central to everything, we constantly felt welcomed enjoyed our little chats with the old bloke was chuffed we could smoke in our rooms.

Oh yeah toilets were pretty clean!!! Didnt use the shower one of my friends did and doesn't have any foot diseases yet, so obviously it gets cleaned.

Overall it was grubby and fun ( a little bit like camping) but made our whole holiday, our stuff was safe we had an awsome time and lets face it you dont spend that much time in the hotel anyways.

Would definitely recommend!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Of course, when choosing this hotel I did not have expectations of finding the best accomodation in the world, since it was one of the cheapest in the neighborhood (still, not CHEAP, only cheaper).

When entering the hotel it was so dark you couldn't really see all the dirty around... but then, when opening the window of our room, we saw the worst we could expect. I am not sure whether the sheets had been cleaned, since you could find every kind of spot in there. They were not even the properly size, so that in the night you woke up in a mattress... and I had to try very hard to convince myself the red spot in the mattress was not blood.

Luckily, I love cats, so it was not a bad surprise when going to the bathroom I found this black cat staring at me!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Tamara? Share your experiences!