“Cheap & Cheerful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tamara

Save Saved
You added Hotel Tamara to your Saves list
Hotel Tamara
Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 144, 8561 AS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #287 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Cheap & Cheerful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have read some of the reviews describing this place as dirty, I found it 'shabby' but clean. Great location and quiet considering where it is. Murphy the cat was a lovely addition to the crazy staff team. Taz, the old guy who generally oversees this hostel was a mine of information and purveyor of copious free cups of tea which I need to keep me going. I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for.. if you want luxury, don't book a cheap hostel!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This hotel was actually better than expected having been to Amsterdam and stayed in the centre quite a few times. Stairs are steep as they are anywhere in Amsterdam. Room was small but when your on holiday it's just somewhere to sleep, which was CLEAN! :) Taz and his Cat made the stay even better with friendly random banter as we passed. Great warm shower too! And if your that way inclined, they allow you to smoke out the window too ;)
Being so close to Damrak it is surprisingly quiet, but in a very central location, just round the corner from Dam Square!

Room Tip: The rooms at the side of the building are quieter as it is on a small lane. And although it is one...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Inexpensive, central 'Hotel' with a slightly run down air.
I guess you get what you pay for, so don't expect too much and you'll find the experience quite acceptable.
Rooms really are on the small side, but they're clean enough and the communal facilities on the landing (each floor) are adequate. Has a sister Irish bar, The Blarneystone, if you really are missing Guinness and large fried breakfasts.
Staff were particularly pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Okay so going to Amsterdam we had to find some where cheap so booked super budget hotel Tamara and despite what I'm going to tell you were looking at going back next year!! Crazy I know.

So when we arrived we went in upstairs they are steap but thats Amsterdam. We met the old man who runs it, I do believe he use to be Australian and just randomly decided never to go back. He is a little coocukoo but not in a bad way I just think he likes to talk. There is a lovely black cat that wonders about however dont let him outside! The place does smell a little funky mainly smoke so I'm not complaining.

Rignt our room
So our room at first looked okay, obviously we had read previous reviews so new what we had in store. So 3 of us had brought sleeping bags and 2 had brought duvet covers ( so you can sleep inside them), right so plus side no bed bugs so always good however do not pull your sheets back just put your sleeping bag or sheet on top climb in so your not really touching the bed and go to sleep. However this is what caused our first alaughing fit, we made that mistake! We took our sheets make and founder sheets were covered in biscuit crumbs and pubic hairs= /

Then we pulled sheets back to look at mattresses and to be fair everyone's looked okay bah a little bit of mould except mine had a little bit of blood on it urgh. But we did all laugh especially when we tried our beds out some were literally chicken wire ! And others felt that you were sleeping on breeze blocks.

Later that night we had our second laugh when we eventually got back to our room a little wobbly from the nights antics we had all just got into bed when some one used the loo and our sink began to do the most disgusting gurgling noise for everyone to laugh to. Also beware for the thousands of flies you will find in the morning.

It is a little loud but thats because your so central to everything, we constantly felt welcomed enjoyed our little chats with the old bloke was chuffed we could smoke in our rooms.

Oh yeah toilets were pretty clean!!! Didnt use the shower one of my friends did and doesn't have any foot diseases yet, so obviously it gets cleaned.

Overall it was grubby and fun ( a little bit like camping) but made our whole holiday, our stuff was safe we had an awsome time and lets face it you dont spend that much time in the hotel anyways.

Would definitely recommend!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Of course, when choosing this hotel I did not have expectations of finding the best accomodation in the world, since it was one of the cheapest in the neighborhood (still, not CHEAP, only cheaper).

When entering the hotel it was so dark you couldn't really see all the dirty around... but then, when opening the window of our room, we saw the worst we could expect. I am not sure whether the sheets had been cleaned, since you could find every kind of spot in there. They were not even the properly size, so that in the night you woke up in a mattress... and I had to try very hard to convince myself the red spot in the mattress was not blood.

Luckily, I love cats, so it was not a bad surprise when going to the bathroom I found this black cat staring at me!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

The good:

The location. 10 minute walk from central station, Anne Frank, right great in the middle of downtown.

The bad:

I booked The hostel online for 70 euros a night for two in a double room. This seemed WAY over priced for what it was. I heard people stopping by and the manager was quoting them 100 euros for a double....wow! The staff was incredibly rude especially one old sarcastic man who yells at everybody! If you so much As forget to close the front door, watch out!

The first thing I noticed when walking into the building was the smell. The strong odor of cats lingers throughout the entire building. Add in the fact that there is no air-conditioning or fans in the middle of summer, well, you have one hot, muggy, smelly building!

After climbing 4 flights of stairs to get to our room we arrived to find the tiniest room I've ever seen. The bed had nasty sheets on it As if they don't wash them in between guests. We were happy we brought our own sheets. There were stains all over the walls and no place to hang any cloths.

The bathrooms were absolutely disgusting! Bring sandles to wear! The shower on our floor was broken and the toilet on the other floor was broken so one shower and one toilet for The entire building!

Bring earplugs!! This building is VERY loud. VERY thin walls! If you are a light sleeper you will need something to cover up all the noise.

After experiencing hotel Tamara I would not recommend this to a friend. Spend a little extra a stay in a nicer place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

booked this hotel for 2 nights for 50 euro , i would really like to advise the owner to change the beds and the coversheets ..the smell of this place was terrible, the toilet was out of order ,and dirty .. this hotel has an amazing locations but terrible smell

Room Tip: go for doria hotel or anything near it
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Tamara? Share your experiences!