“Fantastic Choice for Tourists” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leeuwendalersweg 21, 1055JE Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #156 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Orlando, Florida
“Fantastic Choice for Tourists”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My friend and I took a 4 night stay at this Hotel. It was perfectly situated between the areas we wanted to visit (10 minute ride via local public transit) and the Airport (also, a 10 minute Cab Ride). Room was very clean, huge bathroom, space to spare in the room with 2 full beds. You couldn't find a better deal and have all that comfort. The price was amazing, and the staff spoke perfect English and communication was easy when requests were made. I plan on staying again this November!

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

19 of us stayed here in May 2013 for a hen weekend. Upon arrival there was some confusion over our booking after 40 minutes of trying to sort the problem out and the bride in tears we went to our room not knowing how much more we were going to have to pay. I have to say the staff were the most unhelpful receptionists I have ever come across in all my years of travelling. They had no compassion and really could not have given a toss about our plight they just kept saying it wasn't their problem and we would have to take it up with our booking agents. I found our room to be very clean and comfortable, however the girls on the top floor had a problem with a sewage smell and two of them had to request a different room as it was so overpowering.The hotel is situated out of the centre and this wasn't a problem as we knew this and bought a 48 hour tram/bus pass for 12 euros at the airport which proved to be very good value.What should have been a happy trip was spoilt but the uncaring and rude reception staff, some customer care training is definitely needed!

Room Tip: Don't go on the top floor!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We arrived at 11.30 in the evening as our flight was delayed. No problem with checking in. Rooms are spacious and spotless. Our room (503) overlooked the motorway but there was no problem with any noise. The bathroom was very large with a powerful shower and toiletries were replenished daily.
The staff were very friendly and approachable and nothing was too much trouble.
The only two problems we had were because we had arrived so late at night, we weren't on the register for breakfast but that was soon sorted out and our key stopped working so had to be reprogrammed - again this was soon sorted.
Breakfast is lovely - lots of the usual pastries,cheese and hams and also a choice of hot food and cereal.
Yes the hotel is located a fair distance from the centre, but the trams are regular and very efficient.
Would I stay here again - yes I would!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is about 25 mins from the airport, about €40 for a taxi. We got a two day travel card which was brilliant, public transport is much better than taking a taxi. You can see the sights and you don't get ripped off. If you do get a taxi, make sure you agree a price before you get in as they tend to make it up using their meter!

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by hotel reception staff in a less than friendly manner. There was a large group of us and rooms had been booked months in advance with our friend re-checking the booking the day before HOWEVER the hotel seemed to have the wrong kinds of rooms for us. When we tried to sort it out they were very rude and said it wasn't their problem and they had no more rooms. My friend was very upset but they didn't listen and refused to sort anything out. It was not a good start.

Rooms- beware if you are put on the 11th floor. There is no lift (it stops at floor 10) you have to walk up a flight of very narrow steps with your cases!! Also lifts are RIDICULOUSLY slow.

Cleanliness was ok but the poor lighting and lack of mirrors in appropriate places to get ready for an evening out was a problem.

Shower - clean and powerful BUT all three times I used it, it suddenly stopped in the middle of showering then came back on freezing cold or it suddenly went blistering hot and burnt me. Very erratic to say the least and not a nice experience.

Bar and restaurant- very slow service at the bar and quite expensive. We didnt eat here so I can't comment.

Overall the hotel was fine - maps and apples (randomly) provided in reception area - but they need to work on customer service and organisation!!

England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Taking the tram to Dam square is a simple stroll around the corner and a 20 min ride and if you want to jump out earlier and walk in then no problem specially if you are using the €7.50 24 hour pass.
We did get targeted by a pair of pickpockets in the centre but if you keep your whits about you they can easily be spotted.
The hotel is located what feels a fair distance from the city centre but even a tax back was about €30 which between a car full wasn't too bad.
The hotel is located next to a motorway and in a residential area.
The staff at the hotel was great and friendly and although one of my party lost his room key they replaced it free of charge.

Roma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

First of all we arrived at this hotel by train and bus, after previously enquiring for a private car pick-up, which they said they don't do it. Public transport is so comfortable and cheap (train from Schipol is 3.7 euros).
At arrival there were 2 girls that didn't seem too friendly, they just acted normal, I didn't feel welcomed.
I have never encountered the "self check-in" method they use.
After arriving in our room (602) I made photos of the dried water marks on the walls which is somehow desolating, the safe had no power and in a matter of minutes after calling reception one lady came and resolved the duck tape that holds the batteries.
Just before leaving that day I tried to split a 200 euro bill at reception buuut :( sorry we don't have change. (That's just after almost everybody arrived, Sunday evening, therefore they had the payouts over the weekend - but still no change) I then relied on my friends for that day, but the second day I was expecting something else, around 14:00 the answer was: If I change you this one I will remain without small money, please come later when the others will have paid the city tax or whatever that was, ARE YOU SERIOUS? a 200 bill is such a disaster for this hotel? What about a 500 bill?
Dear staff, are you aware of the museums or attractions that don't accept bigger than 50? What should I do? Dance with a napkin on the street? :)
Fortunatelly they have a KFC around the corner which in italy is missing and I love it and guess what :) they happily change a 200 bill for a 20€ meal.
Then more serious than above there is this guy at reception that seems like handling taxis, and instead of calling a normal taxi (that by the way was already waiting in front of the hotel in a stop) he called HIS GUY that we had to wait for about 10 minutes, imagine from where he came, and also had a small chat with that normal taxi and made him leave, maybe around the corner. This very special taxi that came charged us 18 euros from a meter took out from the drivers legs, for a ride even shorter if not the same with the night taxi we took - having the night charge - that we have paid 14,5€ and it was a brand new E-Klasse, so ... Why do you make me wait? To pay more?
This guy that hangs around said to us if we need a taxi to the airport to ask him, if we ask at reception is 40€, if we ask him, his awesome Bobo driver would charge 35€, obviously there's something fishy with this guy, he doesn't like to share, you guys know what I mean.
Public transport is amazing in Amsterdam and even if this hotel is a little further from the center you can reach it in 15 min. Pretty cool.
We chose this hotel and not others in the center because of the mices that are present, here you find dirty walls in the bathroom but no Jerry.
They have umbrellas at reception and some at reception ask for a deposit some not, the deposit is 10€ ... Hilarious, you buy them at 5€ outside, who even thought of asking 10? :)) Give a sense to things don't just make them as small robots. (By the way - under their amazing umbrella actually rains, the 5 one is much better)
Unfortunately this hotel did not make me feel amazing visiting this beautiful city and its extraordinary people, the guy doing the night shift (19-22 may) was funny nice and relaxed, he's ok, the girls need a little vacation/training, and the short guy seemed hmm not awake lets say :).
Next time in Amsterdam, looks like it may be this August, I would prefer to stay with Jerry instead of being ripped off.
I wish you a wonderful day!

Yorkshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This hotel is in Bos & Lommerplein, which is a 10/15 minute bus or tram journey from the centre of Amsterdam. I've seen other reviews saying that this is a problem, but it really isn't - there's a bus/tram stop 2 minutes from the hotel, and the service is very quick and frequent. Tickets can be bought at shops or on board, we paid 2.80 Euros each per journey. Amsterdam is such a busy, hectic place, that it was wonderful to go back to the hotel and have some peace and quiet at the end of a long day sightseeing. The hotel was clean and comfortable - but the bed was amazing. Very big and very comfortable - we slept like babies :) We had room only, and ate breakfast at a lovely place called Bagels & Beans opposite the bus stop. There are numerous eating places in the vicinity, and if you don't fancy a big meal, there are supermarkets on the doorstep for snacks. The reception staff were helpful and friendly, all speaking excellent English. They were happy to order us a shuttle bus back to Schipol, or offer advice regarding trips/transport etc. There were 4 English channels on the TV (BBC 1, BBC 2, CNN, & Eurosport) and free wireless internet which was nice. I cannot really fault the hotel, it was a good choice for us - the only minor irritation was that when we were checking out, they tried to charge us 30 Euros for a breakfasts which we never had!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Blue Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!