“You get what you pay for...” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Cafe Corner House
Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 119 121, 1012 RH Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #143 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

This is the perfect base for a budget concious traveller who doesn't want to spend much time in their hotel room.
The location is perfect, right in the middle of everything. Easy walk to the main attractions of Amsterdam and the train station, within easy stumbling home distance, and there's a supermarket just down the road which was useful for a few last minute gifts and cheap food. The rooms were pretty simple and bare, but were clean, quiet and comfortable which is all that was important to me!
The staff spoke great english and were friendly enough. They allowed me to store my bag and let me head out into town whilst they got my room ready in the morning.
Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel if you need a cheap place to crash and don't fancy sharing a room in a hostel!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel twice now. I had no problems, it is rough round the edges. It's not a place I would take the wife for a romantic weekend but as a base to tour the city with friends it is fine. The room I stayed in was quite large for Amsterdam, it had two comfy beds with clean bedding. We had no problems with staff, always friendly. Served a beer on arrival. Able to leave luggage in secure room on booking out date. The only reason we have not booked it this year is because its lost its value for money ticket. Corner House alway use to be a good 20% cheaper than its nearby rivals but no more.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I stayed there a week this year, and though the hotel was OK, and the staff were mostly pleasant, the morning person was rude, arrogant and came close to a beating...he yelled, bullied, and haraunged me, and other guests . later, I found out , that he is the son of the owner. And that this is not uncommon.
if you enjoy being rung up at 9.30am to be intimidated and yelled at...this is the place for you.
otherwise give it a miss.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

the staff that run this place are very ignorant and rude will never tay here again
too bad because it is in nice location

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

I've been to Amsterdam a dozen times, and stayed at many expensive hotels, but it took me until my last visit to find the perfect place to stay... The Hotel Cornerhouse. As people have noted, it's not the ritz, your not paying for the ritz, so stop complaining.

Plus, you're in Amsterdam, so might as well get outside and do something. I basically slept in my room and sometimes came back to drop off items, change clothes, etc.

Clean, Secure, and the very friendly and personable staff were very good to me. The price is awesome, so what can I say? This place is perfect for me!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

we just came back from here and have to say it is 100% grate place to stay, very clean & cheap, 15b has two bedrooms bathroom with shower, toilet, sink,ect, clean beds , towels,ect, flat screen tv, very close to everything, i will be going back here for sure.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dundee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

We were looking for a very basic, cheap but clean, friendly hotel/hostel and instead we got a horror version of Fawlty Towers.

Over the years I have stayed in budget hotels and hostels in Germany and Prague and expected this hotel to be similar - I was very wrong. Yes it was in a great location, and yes I was expecting the very basic accommodation, but the service we received from the staff was abysmal. We went to this hotel on a girly holiday for New Year and on more than two occasions I was made to feel very uncomfortable and genuinely frightened by the male staff.

After complaining about being put in a room which we had not booked and asking for the hotel to fix the rooms light (which did not work and remained broken through out our visit) the barman (as there is not a dedicated reception and any problems have to be discussed at the bar in full view of all visitors) became very hostile, when I told him there was no need to yell, he told me there was no need to stay. I have never experienced any service like this in the past.

On our second night staying there we had an abusive phone call at 4am to the room, screaming because they believed we had male guests in the room ( which we did not) after the phone call, one of the barman came to our room and started yelling and screaming at us, as I was scared for my well being and not used to being spoken to like this by a much larger man, and worried about the other guests in the hotel, I kept apologising in hopes he would leave. After a ten minute abusive rant he eventually left.

Loud music played every night till 4 in the morning (and we were on the third floor so God knows how the first and second floor coped) The only way we were able to sleep was by listening to our mp3 players every night- but I would recommend ear plugs.
The photo's on here do not resemble the room or bathroom we had. Our bathroom was very old fashion, tiny and decorated in awful 1960's brown décor.

We also had a container of rat poison in our room, and on the last night was woken by rustling in our bin, we then discovered a rodent. A very sleepless night followed and we were all incredibly relieved to leave this hell hole of a "hotel" the next day.

It really was the worst "hotel" experience of my life. And I would certainly not recommend this place for any groups of women staying, as we were treated with absolutely no respect.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Cafe Corner House? Share your experiences!