“Loved it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Taste Hotel Amsterdam

You added Royal Taste Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Royal Taste Hotel Amsterdam
Oudezijds Achterburgwal 47, 6443 CE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #179 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Kuala Lumpur
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

For a 1 star, budget hotel, it surpassed my expectations. 5 minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal station and pretty much 5 minute walk to everything. I was there for 2 nights and I stayed in 2 different rooms (last minute change of dates..etc). First night was a room with a shared bathroom (2 rooms to a bathroom - clean) and the second with a private bathroom. Both rooms were clean and comfortable and I had no problems sleeping. They require a deposit for the TV remote, though and ladies, bring a hairdryer of your own. You won't find it in the hotel. Breakfast is separate and I didn't have any, I just need coffee/tea in the morning. I see a lot of reviews about the hotel being noisy and the stairs being steep...well, what did you expect? 1) It's in the red light district (and the rooms are above a pub) 2) Aren't steep stairs everywhere in The Netherlands? I'm from Kuala Lumpur and a 1 star "hotel" here means you'd be sleeping on a mattress on a dirty floor. I knew what to expect when I made the booking and I got what I paid for and more. I'm happy.

The staff were absolutely amazing. I arrived at the hotel at 8 am and check in was at 2 but Joyce gave me a room by 9 am and I am forever grateful for that. Jessica was very patient with me (and my many questions about the city) and my move from Room 11 to Room 5 was smooth, thanks to her. No problems. Every cup of coffee I asked for ended up being complimentary. KC, my barista on my last day, a lovely young man who made my coffee (at 7 am!) and chatted with me till I left. The housekeeping crew (I am so sorry I didn't get your names) - they helped me with my luggage coming down the stairs...they were AWESOME. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Amsterdam Centrum, Royal Taste Hotel, right along the canal and within the Red Light District, what more can you ask for in Amsterdam for a twenty four hour visit? Seven of us flew into Amsterdam, took the train to downtown, found Royal Taste for a one night visit. What an experience! Loved the location, it was in the Town Center and within walking distance to the Anne Frank museum, many restaurants, the Hard Rock Café, and the Flower Market. Rooms were large, our four rooms were spread through-out the complex, my room was on the top floor (four floors up the very small steep steps, no elevator), large in size, red in color including the light fixture, no curtains on the windows, facing the canal on a red light district street, a small TV if you wanted to watch you had to put a deposit of $20 for the remote control and the bathroom was outside the room in the hallway. This room was the most interesting or humorous of the four, would ask to stay in it again. Hotel was on a busy loud street but the rooms were clean and it felt safe there. The bar was the hotel lobby; they held our bags for the day while we toured Amsterdam. A very nice touch, so we did not have to carry our overnight bag while touring.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
grantham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Staying 1 night,needed hotel in centre of city,and this was perfect.had room 12 on top floor,it was spacious for a single room and the shared bathroom with room11 was fine with decent shower,room was on the back so was nice and quiet.The hotel has a nice bar with both tourists and locals,and I received a warm welcome on arrival,would stay definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

If you are not a prissy traveler who values location, casual atmosphere & friendly staff over luxury, this is your place.
Michelle, the day manager, is just really welcoming & genuine.
Room 4 looked out on the canal, great view. Sparse but adequate & clean. Tad noisy some nights with revelers, bring earplugs if you gotta get to sleep before midnight.
Not a hotel for kids & family, it's the red light district afterall, but great price & ambience for those who like to be in the heart of things & have a more casual boutique hotel experience.
Fun for a young couple, gay or straight, or the young at heart.

Room Tip: If you want quiet rather than a view ask to be on back side of hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I only stayed 1 night here before heading to the south of the Netherlands, but this hotel would be ideal for a stay of 2 or 3 nights or longer. I have been to Amsterdam several times before and this has got to be the best budget hotel I have stayed in, mainly for the location right in the centre of the RLD. But don't let that put you off!

I arrived at 9.30pm and checked in straight away at the hotel bar on the ground floor. My single room (50 euros p/night) was on the top floor at the back and, like other small hotels I have stayed in in Amsterdam, there is no lift and the stairs are very steep.

The room was small but had a desk, wardrobe and a TV. You have to pay a 20 euro refundable deposit for the TV remote. The room was clean, warm and, despite the hustle and bustle and noise on the streets outside, very quiet. I reckon if you have a room at the front of the hotel it would be noisy!

I shared a toilet/shower on the small landing with one other room which wasn't a problem.

When I visit Amsterdam again this will be the first hotel I will check for availability.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

the staff where welcoming, in a good location, room basic but priced the same as hotels that are located away from the centre and as a very small but private bathroom. shower was a nice size but sink must be the smallest one i have seen. Nice bar below for watching people walk by. Would recommend for a basic no frills place to stay with its own bathroom in the centre.
The stairs are extremely steep so take care.Please note that they lock the doors about 2.00am
when the bar closes after that you need to ring the bell.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Yakima, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My friend and I stayed for three nights at this hotel. It has a great location and friendly staff. The stairs are quite steep, but it is Amsterdam! We were assigned Room 8 - which was bright, well decorated, and we thought it to be quite a bargain for what we paid.

The only problem is that I woke up each morning with a few more red bites on me. Around a dozen in all. I'm thinking bedbugs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Taste Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!