“Might have bed bugs...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Taste Hotel Amsterdam

You added Royal Taste Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Royal Taste Hotel Amsterdam
Oudezijds Achterburgwal 47, 6443 CE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District (De Wallen))   |
Ranked #215 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
Yakima, Washington
“Might have bed bugs...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My friend and I stayed for three nights at this hotel. It has a great location and friendly staff. The stairs are quite steep, but it is Amsterdam! We were assigned Room 8 - which was bright, well decorated, and we thought it to be quite a bargain for what we paid.

The only problem is that I woke up each morning with a few more red bites on me. Around a dozen in all. I'm thinking bedbugs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank spinst

Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Situated in the heart of Amsterdams red light district is this small budget hotel. It advertises itself as a budget hotel so if you book here and then expect more, you're going to be disappointed.
The rooms were clean and had everything I needed for my stay and the staff were very helpful.
My only issue with this hotel was actually finding it in the first place!! A 5 minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal Station, yes, but it helps to know the way. It took me an hour and 2 taxi driver to find it in the end. After 6pm, some streets in the red light district become only accessable to pedestrians which meant no cars could go down then, so I had to wander the streets with my luggage for quite a while. I suppose that isn't necessarily the hotels fault but people be warned.
I'd go back, now I know the way ;) but it is right on the street and the noise can get loud, although it didn't bother me at night.

• Stayed May 2012
Earth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I booked a twin room (90 euro per night) for me and my friend for 4 nights. Late check-in around midnight was not a problem. We were surprised on arrival cause our room was huge (3 windows) with a wardrobe (so many hangers!!!), a table and 2 armchairs, 2 big comfortable beds, a fridge, tv and ensuite bathroom. Linen was fresh and clean. Towels, shampoo and shower gel every day.
Location was great in the very center of Red Light District and close to the Central train station.
Yep, stairs were scary steep, so just be careful.
Special tip from me: if you're fond of chinese cuisine go to the street with nice chinese restaurants behind the corner on the right if you come out of the hotel :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank GaeaGaia
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Only stayed the one night. I know the area and it's accommodation well. The Royal Taste is one of the better cheap tourist hotels in an area where they can be really squalid. Had a single room with en-suite. Room had bare floor boards, which I thought a bit odd, though it mean no black feet off the dirty carpet after a shower. Bathroom was fine and clean. Slept well, even though I could hear my neighbour snoring through the wall.
Reception is at the ground floor bar where the staff are friendly, if preoccupied. Smoking seemed to be allowed.
There is no lift and the stairs are a bit precarious.

Room Tip: I had room 7 which had little noise from outside in a very lively area.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank tw25rw
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Myself and my girlfriends dad booked to stay at this hotel for one night on a short weekend trip to Amsterdam. Firstly, we were on a budget and were not looking for anything luxury, just a place to sleep. If you want to stay in the heart of Amsterdam, in a basic, clean and comfortable room then this hotel is perfect! When you come to Amsterdam for only two days you should be out sight seeing...not sitting in your hotel room watching T.V!

Before booking you should be aware that it literally is on the red light district and it is noisy. Not in periods, not in short bursts, CONSTANT noise as the red light district starts to get busy at night, right through to about six in the morning. For us this didn't matter, as after a long day of travelling and sight seeing we were able to sleep through this. It is one of those scenarios; common sense is to realise it is on the red light district, you know it before you go, do not whinge about the noise when you get there.

Had a straight forward check in process, walked in to the bar, got the key and paid. Each time you want to leave the room you hand the key back to the bar maid and request it upon your arrival. Simple. The room isn't fantastic but you get what you pay for. Beds were quite low, a bit like a futon, but comfy enough. Really suprised when we got there and found that it wasn't shared bathroom and shower facilities, you get a key for your own bathroom as well which was literally two steps across the corridor from our room. REALLY steep stairs..... I would say if you are disabled or have any problems with mobility this hotel is not for you.

Overall, the above disadvantages didn't bother us in the slightest. It really depends on the person and their circumstances but if I go on a similar trip to Amsterdam again I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank James666_12
Kavala, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

A chip solution in the heart of Red Lights District

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

This hotel is ideally located for visiting Amsterdam. Whilst basic, my hotel room looked exactly like the picture on the website (there have been some reviews stating otherwise). I stayed in a single room, so maybe the variations in room may exist for doubles.

The staff at the reception area in the Pub were always were friendly and helpful. Although, like some other reviewers I’m still not sure how the security works…you request the keys to a particular room number and whoever is behind the bar hands it over.... often the staff would change…so how could they verify that they were giving the key to the right person?

There is so much to do in this area and everything seemed to be a short walk away. It is in the heart of the red light district with many canals and restaurants very close by. I arrived from the main train station and walked to the hotel in around 10 – 15 minutes. Whilst there is a lot of noise and action outside the hotel, I could hardly hear anything from my room.

The steps to the rooms are very narrow and steep…not a huge issue for me, but would require careful attention if carrying full size luggage.

When you consider the location, tidiness of the rooms, and friendliness of the staff for the price charged, this hotel is an absolute bargain.

When next in Amsterdam, I will be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo