“Funky” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Qbic Hotel Amsterdam WTC

You added Qbic Hotel Amsterdam WTC to your Saves list
Qbic Hotel Amsterdam WTC
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mathijs Vermeulenpad 1, 1077 Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #145 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Funky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

This hotel was definitely funky in design, totally loved the lampshades and wall designs. The bathroom was small but very usable. All in all, loved the rooms. The bed was also very comfortable.

The location was in the business district and a bit hard to find late at night, but we did not feel unsafe in that area. In fact, it was nicer to be there than in the tourist hub with lots of late night goings on. We had a little confusion with being let in at night as one of the electronic systems did not work, but it was all okay in the end. It is easily accessible by tram.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Qbic, Manager at Qbic Hotel Amsterdam WTC, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Hi,

Thank you very much for sharing your Qbic experience with us and our future guests.
Great to hear that you loved our funky design.
The WTC can be a bit quiet at night, but there’s a lot to see and do during the day. Did you know you can also find Qbic in London?

Hope to see you again soon.

Luisana Kocks
Qbic Team Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

This hotel has an interesting minimalistic concept and is located very near to the station Zuid. Everything is compacted into one room, which surprisingly works quite well. Yet unfortunately most of the interior is rather dark, as there is almost no source of natural light.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Qbic, Manager at Qbic Hotel Amsterdam WTC, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Hi,

Thank you for writing this review. The Qbic Hotel concept as you mentioned is quite minimalitic. We provide all the basics in one giant “cube”. We tend to keep the room dark so our LED lighting comes out better en changes the mood in the room completely. If you are going to do some more Amsterdam exploring you’ll know where to find us. Hope to see you soon.

All the best,

Stephan Schothuis
Team Qbic Amsterdam
France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I was a little concerned about one or two things before I arrived. No, not the lack of a bathroom door as I was travelling alone. If you don’t know what I’m talking about read some of the other reviews. I thought that as it was extremely good value for Amsterdam it might turn out to be a kind of youth hostel. But some of the other clients seemed to be business people perhaps working at the WTC.

My biggest fear was that I would spend ages on public transport getting into and out of the city centre. Again I was wrong. Sure, it takes twenty minutes by tram to get to Centraal Station, but that is the end of the line. It’s only five minutes to Museumplein and the Concertgebouw, ten minutes to Leidseplein. By the way, I checked out the metro once to see if it saves a lot of time over the tram if you have to go to the station. It doesn’t and the view isn’t nearly as interesting. Also Zuid Station is only ten minutes by train from Schiphol too. I left reception at nine thirty a.m. and at 10:08 was already checked in, past security and walking around the duty free stores.

Friendly staff, although I didn’t have much to do with them after check-in. They kept my bag for me till check in time at three pm. BBC tv is a huge plus for me as I can’t receive it at home. The mattress is as comfortable as they make out on their website, I slept very well indeed. No problems with heating or air conditioning, the room temperature was fine for me, but it’s true had it not been there was nothing I could do about it. I think I was lucky enough to have a view, I'm not sure how I'd feel about a windowless room.

The famous bathroom was apparently designed by Starck if my memory serves me correctly. Well all I can say is he has a very narrow bum as there isn’t much space for the loo between the washbasin and the shower. And also our Monsieur Starck must never shave as there is practically no space over the basin to wash your face, the tap sticks out so far. Still these really are minor niggles, everything worked, was clean and the water was hot and the towels plentiful.

One last piece of advice if you choose this hotel. The address says Strawinskyplein, but if you arrive by tram n°5 you need to go down the steps to Zuidplein and go all the way around the back of the WTC to find the entrance. If you get off the train at Station Zuid, you turn left as soon as you leave the station to find the hotel.
I would definitely stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hey William,

Thank you so much for this well written review. I think our future guest will be well pleased with this.

As you can imagine, it’s always great to hear our guest enjoyed their stay with us.

Public transport from our location is excellent; bus, tram and metro are just around the corner and will bring you wherever you need to be.

With kind regards
Anouk Willems,
Team Qbic Amsterdam
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

the best hotel that i've stayed in Amsterdam! really clean and modern I loved it and if I come back to Amsterdam definately I'll stay there again! great localization near metro station, near airport 10 min to centre.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
QbicHotelsAmsterdam, service manager at Qbic Hotel Amsterdam WTC, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Lucy,

What a great review! We love that you definitely want to stay here again. We have some great events planned in Amsterdam for the summer. Hope to see you soon?

Luisana kocks, Qbic hotel Amsterdam
Maastricht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at qbic hotel amsterdam for one night because i had business in the area, and really liked the concept. At checkin, there was hardly any service, no warm welcome, smalltalk or smile. Arriving in the room, i noticed some hairs on the bathroom floor. I would have called the front desk, but there was no phone to be found... Very strange.. The room was not very sound proof as i heard everything that went on outside of the room..The matressess were ok but in need of replacement, both had an sloped surface.. Shower was ok, with the exeption of finding additional hairs and the
squeaking of the floor. Quick check out, but no 'have a nice day' or anything similar.. In conclusion.. Ok concept, but focus more on sevice, matress quality and cleanliness.. I would consider a revisit if i am to return to amsterdam to see if anything is different ..

• Stayed March 2014
QbicHotelsAmsterdam, Service manager at Qbic Hotel Amsterdam WTC, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Hello,

I would like to apologies for all the inconvenience you had during your stay! This is not how we should treat our guest. I will take note of your review and we will make sure to improve our service and cleaning of rooms!

We hope to welcome you again in Qbic Hotel and make sure you have a great second stay in our hotel.

Luisana Kocks , Qbic team Amsterdam
worksop
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Hotel was nice quite, rooms were good check in was quick and rooms are funky. But I would not stay here again as it was a taxi ride away or ten mins by tram.
If you prefer city center look elsewhere if you prefer quite, out of reach and nothing else there as everywhere closes on a saturday & sunday look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Look for spiders in your room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Spenny,

Awesome that you liked the hotel and the concept. It’s unfortunate a 10min tram ride did not meet your expectations.
We are indeed a bit more outside the city centre, but with affordable rooms close to Schiphol Airport. And the public transport hub is just around the corner.
We hope you enjoy your future stays in Amsterdam, and if you find yourself in the neighbourhood, you know where to find us.

All the best…

Sander Gerets
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

My partner and I had a great time staying in Qbic hotel. The location was excellent as it was only a 5 minute train journey from the airport and also right near the tram which took us straight into central Amsterdam within 20 minutes. The room was lovely and clean and the bed was really comfortable (we especially liked the mood lighting on top of the bed). The only gripe I had was that I think minimalism was taken to the extreme, not only was there nowhere to store our clothing (part from a small hanger) but there was also no toilet door... maybe not so bad for established couples but I would not recommend if you are embarking on your first romantic vacation together!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi there,

Thank you for your positive review. Great that you liked our hotel. The concepts may be described as “edgy” but is still provide you with the basic amenities. The rooms indeed have a bathroom without a door. But there are public restrooms on every floor which you can use.
Like you said, tram 5 you will take you straight to the city centre, and leaves just around the corner.
We hope you had a pleasant stay in Amsterdam, and hope to see you again some other time!

Kind regards,

Anouk Willems
Qbic Team Amsterdam

Been to Qbic Hotel Amsterdam WTC? Share your experiences!