“Damrak Inn-why you should read reviews!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Damrak Inn Hotel Amsterdam

You added Damrak Inn Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Damrak Inn Hotel Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Damrak 58-59, 1012 LL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #243 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Campbell River
“Damrak Inn-why you should read reviews!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

On a recent holiday from Canada, my well meaning friend from Germany booked us this hotel on my credit card. I tried to book my own but he was trying to be helpful. Immediately after booking, I looked it up on my iPhone, read the reviews and thought oh oh. Upon arriving, could not find the hotel if it was not for the small number of the street address. Walk up two narrow flights to the front desk only to find out our room is on the 5th floor. No elevators, steep winding, very narrow stairs with no hand rails that make it extremely, and I mean extremely dangerous should a person have a mis step or slip off the stair-you are going down a long long way. Explained to the desk clerk that my wife just recently had back surgery and there is no way we can safely handle the stairs. I did check out the room and it did not even meet the standards of a youth hostel let alone a hotel. Despite my best "threats" (i will post you on Trip advisor!, I will call my credit card company and get the charge reversed), the clerk says we have to forfeit our 3 nights stay_almost $300 bucks if we leave because once you book, you have to give 48 hours notice. So I said, cancel our 3rd night-that's more than 48 hours notice. Clerk says no cancellation allowed now. Wanted to see the Manager-of course not available. I had no choice, we had to leave and find other accomodation. To their credit, when I got back to Canada, I discovered they did not charge me. Don't even think about having a couple of drinks and trying to go to your room-you may end up in the hospital! Not trying to beat this place up but if you are a foreigner you will find the stairs to be very narrow and difficult to navigate-book somewhere else. Now I read all reviews myself personally before booking anywhere. Where did we end up? Hotel Amsterdam-now that's a 5 star place!

Room Tip: Read the trip advisor reviews for current unbiased help!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Indonesian first
Bellville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Terrible experience. Bad location. Noisy all night. Expensive. 2 star? No way. Cramped. Smelly. Matrasses sagging. No room to move. Impossible to drag luggage up small steep steps.It can completely ruin your holiday if you go there.STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

You could not be more central if you tried, literally all the sights and sounds are directly on your door step. The only downside what the cleanliness of the hotel, I found a few unwanted creepy crawlies on the bed sheets and in the bed which prompted me to actually clean the room myself. Aside from that, a fairly decent hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

After reading reviews on here we almost changed our accomodation.In hindsight there was no need to panic.It was not brilliant but nowhere as bad as people make out on here.The room was small admittedly and the stairs are steep but that's how all properties of that age are in Amsterdam and part of the character.The room was clean,clean towels daily and the beds made every day
We had read about smells of the downstairs chip shop and urine but we never smelt either during our 3 night stay.
Admittedly it was a little noisy at night (we had the window open) but let's face it,it's in the middle of a busy city.
The staff were friendly enough.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Portugal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We were in a tiny room, where windows were not used for anything.
The room was quite noisy, and always with light curtains are very bad.
Bed linen was ok, but under beds and next to nothing ever should have been cleaned, they disgust!!
The bathroom was ok.
I do not recommend because it is impossible to sleep in this hotel.

Room Tip: never choose a room to the main street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sing
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The location of this hotel is very close to the Amsterdam Central Station, about 5 mins walk. It is within walking distant to most tourist spots and it is easy to get food nearby. Other than location there is nothing about this hotel. To get to the hotel you have to climb up a very very steep stairs, which is spiral at the top. It is dangerous with heavy luggage. We had a room on the 4th floor, that was more climbing with heavy luggages. The room we had is about enough space for 3 single bed, there was hardly any space for luggages (on the floor). The toilet was narrow. If location is all you're after that's ok, other than that there's nothing much about this hotel. We did not need to use any form of public transport while at this hotel. But we did go on the hop-on-hop-off bus, my advice is don't take it, it is a rip-off. The interval from one bus to the next is about 30 min sometimes as long as 40 min. If you missed it, you had to wait 30 to 40 min, that's ridiculous. We waited for almost 40 min at the Heineken stop. We wanted to go to the floating flower market, but the driver for some reason were rushing and did not stop at the floating flower market, we ended up at the train station stop. When we confronted him he said it is only 15 min walk back (the weather was cold). Driver like that should be fired!

Room Tip: easy to find food around the hotel. Don't take the hop-on-hop-off, it's a rip-off.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Visited with 4 friends, stayed in a room for 5. The rooms were clean and beds really comfortable. Clean towels & bedding each day. Small bathroom.
Very central location.
The staff were relatively friendly and no more attitude or anything than most Dutch have towards English folks. I lost my boarding pass and the guy on reception printed me another one off so that was pretty helpful. We were also allowed to leave luggage in a large cupboard all day.
If you want luxury and food don't come here but if you want something cheap and clean its perfect.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Damrak Inn Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!