“Undeniably fantastic accommodation, but expected more for the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fusion Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Fusion Suites
You added Fusion Suites to your Saves list
Roemer Visscherstraat 40, 1054 EZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #2 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Undeniably fantastic accommodation, but expected more for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

This is my first Trip Advisor review. I must admit that I feel indebted to write one, because my choice to visit 'Fusion Suites Amsterdam' was based entirely on the reviews I read on this very website. In fact, the reviews are all so very favourable, that I felt exceedingly confident my expectations would be met and exceeded. I'm sorry to say, they were not - I was extremely surprised. Make no mistake, Fusion Suites are in a fantastic and exclusive location: offering privacy and comfort, with sumptuous furnishings: the establishment truly is top class. Similarly, Alex and Sharmilla who run the place are a genuinely lovely couple, and did everything they could to make us feel welcome and to assist us where needed. They cannot be faulted on their service, which similarly, is first rate. My criticism is nothing to do with anything they did; only the price related to the amenities offered.

The bottom line is for about £220 a night, I expected more - and could not help but feel this price tag would have would have taken us a lot further at a nice hotel. (Amenities like a pool, spa facilities, a nice bar/restaurant etc.) What you're paying for in this instance is the exclusive private location, because as a B&B it lacks the true convenience of self-catering OR the service of a hotel, and for myself and my partner, this left us feeling a little disappointed. We're not the sort of people who can generally afford to spend at this level - it was a very special occasion for our 10 year anniversary, and I'd be lying if I didn't admit we were a little underwhelmed.

On arrival, we were given a free upgrade on account that it was our anniversary (a very kind sentiment), but I would have been interested to see the others. Again, we did have a couple of gripes with the room itself for this price tag:

1) Very limited English channels available, BBC News plus one or two others. The Television itself was very small and unimpressive, and was only really watchable from the sofa directly in front of it. It was physically impossible to watch the TV in bed (as my partner and I like to), as the screen was obstructed by the enormous bed frame - which we found very frustrating, and pretty poorly arranged to be honest.

2) The minibar snacks and drinks ARE included, but what's supplied is very limited. One can of coke, one fruit juice, two cans of beer and a bag of nuts is not really what I had in mind when it said "all-inclusive minibar". Similarly, I would have appreciated bottled water more than the wine that was on offer.

3) A computer with Wifi internet access was provided, but the connection was very erratic and kept disconnecting itself after a few minutes. We had to reboot the system to get it working again, every time.

4) For this money, I seriously thought we'd either have a large jacuzzi bath, or at least a power shower cubicle. It was pretty much a standard sized bath with a shower attached by a hose, and not particularly powerful. The water also was extremely inconstant in flow, seeming to chug in and out and going cold (however briefly) and regular intervals.

5) Just like the minibar, we felt what was supplied in the bathroom was particularly ungenerous - and I'd go as far as to say quite miserly! I have ALWAYS been supplied with a dressing gown wherever I have stayed abroad before, and so have never brought one with me.... at this price, I would have definitely expected them. Nope. Even though there was a bath, no bath foam/oils etc were supplied (very surprising). Not only this, but thanks to British flight regulations on liquids carried, my partner I had to make do with the three tiny vials of shampoo, conditioner & shower gel supplied between two of us for two nights, and a measly selection of towels that we had to re-use. There were plenty of things like vanity kits, nail files, shaving mirrors...just not the basic fundamental things we actually needed!

6) For this price, when only breakfast is offered, I really would have expected to have been asked what WE wanted to eat. We were simply asked what time (and were given no such choice on the second morning). The food on offer was very nice, but consisted initially of a big bowl of fruit and yoghurt on both occasions - which we felt indebted to eat when it had been freshly prepared. There were pastries, cheese, eggs, cereal, pancakes... lots and lots... almost too much to choose from, however the irony is we found ourselves craving an English breakfast, and actually went looking for one for lunch!

The truth is, IF we'd been at a hotel I probably would have complained - and felt little remorse about it... but there was absolutely no way I was going to make a fuss with two such lovely and kind people who have obviously made this their family business.

I'm really sorry to have any thing negative to say... I really am, and I'm certainly not trying to stand out or "go against the flow" with what every one else has had to say. But at the age of 31 and being reasonably well travelled, I've never spent more than this per night at a B&B any where in the world, and was more than a bit disappointed. I genuinely feel the place needs to be brought up to scratch in line with that price, or that price needs to be reduced. The honest truth is I would recommend Fusion Suites to a very rich friend who had money to burn... but only as an exclusive hang-out away from the masses in Amsterdam. If you're a Tourist, you may find it's a little far away from any of the real atmosphere, and lacks the real creature comforts that we slovenly Brits are often accustomed to when going abroad.

I will say this however: the mattress on our bed was INCREDIBLE. I've never slept a better night's sleep in my life!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

My wife and I were wanting a lovely place in Amsterdam, and boy did we find it!! This is just a wonderful place, Alex and his lovely wife ensured that all of our needs were well and truly catered for. The hotel is superb, the facilities are wonderful, the location is great, the breakfast is lovely and homely (and fortifying) and Alex is able to organize bookings at very good restaurants. It is one of the best hotels (B&B) that I have stayed at around the world. Would recommend this to anyone who wishes to experience quite refined luxury.

Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

We often stay in small, boutique hotels, and think this is the best we've been in for years. The hotel is elegantly furnished, very friendly, centrally located, and can't be faulted in any way. We loved the fact that the mini-bar was included in our rate, and that the breakfast was generous and tasty. Alex and Sharmilla, the owners, are particularly helpful with information about Amsterdam and, most importantly, correct in what they tell you about the city. This was truly a hotel experience which added to our enjoyment of Amsterdam.
If there's an opportunity to stay here, don't hesitate to take it. Because of its size (four rooms) you may have to do some advance planning, but it's worth it. Also, there's absolutely no intrusion on one's privacy, which can be a problem in some small places.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Everything good that has been said about Fusion Suites is true. It is an excellent place to stay and hosts Sharmila and Alex are superb. It was liking stay at a best friends house...but better.
The location is ideal for seeing all of Amsterdam by foot if you are healthy and easy for trams if you are not (or lazy).
If you want to see Amsterdam at your leisure and don't want the stuffiness and prententious of a five star hotel, this is the place for you.

Free Union, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

My husband and I were very impressed with Fusion suites during our five day stay. The location is simply perfect...in a quiet, wealthy part of town, very close to Vondel park (which was a gem btw), and still a very short walk to many restaurants and busy touristy parts of the city.

We stayed in room three and were very happy with the size and the furnishings. Alex and his wife also make a great breakfast every morning.

I would call fusion suites a cross between a b&b and a boutique hotel. The front desk is nor always occupied but they give you their cell and make it obvious that you are welcome to call at anytime. I also would consider it a step up from the many b&b's I've stayed with in the past.

Also unlike many other top tripadvisor hotels in large cities, fusion suites did not mention tripadvisor or encourage us to rate them so we saw no evidence I'd 'rank padding'.

• Stayed October 2010
colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

Reviews are all true. Alex and Sharmilla are fun, knowledgeable and attentive to all needs while being discreet. The room was enormous by European standards and the breakfasts were awesome, everything fresh and freshly prepared. Well-located on a quiet street near the park, but yet close to Leisdseplein, Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and the best shopping street in Amsterdam. I recommend Fusion Suites without hesitation, you will not be disappointed.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I have never written a review, but our stay at Fusion Suites compels me to write one. This is the best hotel we have ever stayed in for the money - and we have travelled around the world. Alex and Sharmila are caring, charming, helpful hosts. The breakfasts that Sharmila prepares are fabulous! Our room was huge, beautifully decorated, very comfortable - we even had our own laptop. Amsterdam was chilly and rainy, so it was wonderful coming back 'home' to Fusion Suites.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple