“Just what I was hoping for” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Adolesce
Nieuwe Keizersgracht 26, 1018 DS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #73 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Winnipeg, Manitoba
“Just what I was hoping for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I had a few days to spend in Amsterdam and I really wanted to stay in a hotel in which I definitely would know what city I was in when I opened my eyes in the morning.
Hotel Adolesce was a perfect fit. An iconic Amsterdam experience, with it's steep staircases and big windows overlooking a quiet picturesque canal lined with houseboats.
It's location is great, close enough to walk to many restaurants, shopping, and interesting sights and to public transportation if you want to explore further.
As mentioned many times in previous reviews, the proprieter is friendly and helpful. The dining area is cosy and well stocked with breakfast/snack supplies. If you feel like having a glass of wine or beer, the rates are very reasonable.
Our room {3} was spacious and comfortable with 3 huge windows.
We would stay here again, with pleasure.

Room Tip: Can.'t get away from the steep stairs. Room 3 was worth the climb! Great canal view.

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New Port Richey, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Hands down a great place - so enjoyable, so convenient, so reasonably priced. Loved it and would stay every time I go to AMS. The location is perfect / short walk from Waterlooplein station. Doesn't serve a full buffet type breakfast but has quite a nice assortment of goods available for guests 24 hours a day (fresh fruit, yogurt, cheeses, cold meat, crackers, cookies, drinks cold and hot) so I liked it that way. After going out at night, I could grab some fruit and maybe crackers and have that to avoid a "self-inflicted" headache the next day. Some may not like it, but I definitely did. Room and bathroom were both very clean and bed was comfortable. Owner was helpful and very knowledgeable / helped with directions and provided some advice on various areas and attractions. Only negative would be the stairs - it's the way older houses of that period were built - they are steep and small. So pack light and stay at Hotel Adolesce!

Room Tip: We were in Room 11 (it's a triple with a Queen bed and one Twin bed). It was super quiet and fa...
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Great location. Quiet. Can walk many places but near to tram line. Clean, airy. Friendly helpful staff. Steep stairs - but that is the same everywhere in Amsterdam. Plentiful breakfast. Couldn't fault it for the price. Pleasant bar down the road. Would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Wife and I arrived early AMS (5am) from DTW on Sunday morning. Train tickets, trolley tickets and metro with a little wandering around the streets close to the waterlooplein stop, we arrive at Hotel Adolesce at 8am local time. Our luck, two guests were just arriving from their Saturday night out and they let us in.

We waited in the lobby and were greeted by the proprietor after a short 10 minute wait. Gracious and accommodating, we stored our bags and were off to experience our first day of AMS. On our 1pm return our room was ready. Up the stairs to room 11 and pleasantly surprised. The room is big, one queen and one single with a very pleasant view of a beautiful court yard which one day 3 we had the pleasure of seeing first hand.

More about the proprietor. Day 4 I had my wallet stolen and did not realize it until we arrived back at the hotel at midnight. A knock on the proprietor's private residence at 20 minutes past midnight and he was quick to assist with enabling the phone for long distance dialing for credit card cancellation. He followed up with a phone call to inquire if all was 'ok', which it was, no charges on the cards, cards canceled and new cards were being mailed.

On our last day before heading to the airport for Prague, CZ, we enjoyed the remaining beer I had purchased and the proprietor graciously stored, with him, at the bar in the lobby.

I've left off many additional positive interactions and specifically his name as I do not feel I can include without his expressed approval which I do not have.

The other reviews do a great job of describing the multiple benefits of staying at Hotel Adolesce, another that is left out of those reviews and I've included in this one is the proprietor.

Suffice it to say he has a heart that is as large as room 11.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is very near to station Waterlooplein and few steps away from the famous 'Skinny Bridge’. Our room was typical Dutch style room with big windows across the length and view of canal. Rooms were very Spacious, Relaxing, Clean and the bathroom and shower room is separated.Snacks is available 24 hours. Owner Kees was very accommodating and polite. He is very prompt in replying emails. The stairs were uncomfortable but that’s the way it is in every Dutch traditional house. Wi-fi was available in our room. This budget hotel is in the heart of city and most places of interest, trams and metro are within walking distance. We enjoyed our stay at Adolesce.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

A good hotel in a quite and convenient location. The room was huge! Very basic but clean and comfortable. No fridge in the room but tea, coffee, eggs, cheese, tomato available all day in the dining area. Chris was extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Stairs to the rooms are very narrow and steep .....a first floor room is best
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

It was my fiirst time in Amsterdam; the Adolesce suited the cple of days of exploring. Great location making it easy to get everywhere and felt safe. Management was cheerful and helpful; like all European destinations, lots of stairs so pack light; unfortunately I didn't lol. Small bathroom facilities but clean, big bedroom, that said loved the 24hr brunch with basics; would stay again.

Been to Hotel Adolesce? Share your experiences!