“Excellent location rooms ok” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Leidse Square Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Leidse Square Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Leidse Square Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tesselschadestraat 23, 1054 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #150 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Derry, United Kingdom
“Excellent location rooms ok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Location for this hotel is great as it's just off the lovely leidseplein square. No air condition in rooms but a massive fan provided. Rooms small but comfortable. Very small bar in hotel but great if you are just looking a clean and handy place to sleep. Would come back as location is great. 7 tram stops from central station but you can also walk to the hotel however if you have luggage the tram or taxi is necessary. Approximately 20/25minute walk from central station.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Turkish first
Casablanca, Morocco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The location is fantastic-- just south of everything you want to do and just a five minute walk from a morning coffee and coffee shop. The rooms are fairly small by American standards, but it's Europe, and for this price it's totally unreasonable to complain about it. Just like the rest of the city, public transportation is fantastic so it's no problem getting to the hotel. I literally walked to everything I saw in Amsterdam from this hotel. This place is a good value stay, and I recommend it, but I do have some regrets not using airbnb.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

This hotel is right around the corner from the Van Goh musuem, Rijksmuseum, and where some canal cruises are docked. There is a convient tram that runs nearby and if you like to jog, Vondel park is around the corner. Wi-fi is free and a good connection. Breakfast was decent too.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We found the hotel more than adequate for our purpose. The price was reasonable, the room comfortable and the buffet breakfast excellent.
Our only problem was the stairs from the exiting the elevator to our room (on the third floor). We are both over 80 and find stairs difficult, particularly when carrying luggage - the sfaff were very helpful and helped us to take our luggage into the room and when leaving the hotel the taxi driver assisted us. Air conditioning or a fan would have been as it was very hot. We managed by keeping the bedroom window open and leaving the door to the bathroom open (with its widow open) giving us some air.

We would stay there again if we have occasion to be in Amsterdam.

Sheila Levitt

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

A sign on the facade announces that this Hotel is a Best Western “Independently owned & operated” and, unfortunately too late for me, I realized that this means they do not have the traditional standards of the Best Western net. I booked a room for one person, and I feel that there was a misunderstanding because instead of a bedroom (with e) I got a badroom (with a). The door opens to a narrow corridor (where there was a single bed, two armchairs, one wardrobe, a TV and no free space at all) at the end of which there was a small room with a double bed squeezed between two walls. I am attaching room photos. I used a slipper and a shoe (both with approximately 25 cm length) to give an idea of the space. It was impossible to see the TV from any of the two beds on account of their relative positions. The two armchairs were too close to the TV, which means that the TV was useless - bad positioning. The room was warm, without either AC or fan, very close to the laundry - this means noise starting early in the morning. The Wi-Fi was unstable in some places of the room although it worked well in others. The bathroom was ok, though the only way to use the shower was to be inside a very high tub, and this can be tough if one has knee problems. In the third day, early in the morning, they started some sort of repair with awfully loud noises. Another guest, at the same floor, complained, and they moved both of us to other rooms. The new room was much better, but then, due to the repair, there was no water at all during many hours, which is again unacceptable. They did not even apologize for that. Neither did I try the breakfast nor the restaurant. The hotel is very well located, close to the museums. I do not recommend this hotel, but if you want to try, refuse room 04 unless they offer you an extremely good price.

Room Tip: Refuse room 04
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Georgetown, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Pros:
1) Fantastic location - on a quiet street with great location close to major museums, Vondelpark and good restaurants.
2) Room size - our triple room was a good size for Europe - but after looking at some of the guest pictures on TA I think we were really fortunate.
3) Internet - very good wifi in the room for no charge and no device number limits

Cons:
1)We had no hot water for the first three days of a five day, six night stay. We travel a lot, so I understand these things can happen. Our problem really comes down to the service of the front desk and maintenance employees. Our impression was that they thought we were a bit demanding to be questioning why there was no hot water. After maintenance visited the room and checked the boiler, their answer was that during high usage times (like 10:00 pm evidently) there wouldn't be enough hot water. I've never had hotel management tell me that I could expect cold water (and I do mean ice cold) if many of the guests were using the water. Our last two days the water did get warmer, even hot. That tells me either many people checked out, or there was another issue that was resolved (I'm thinking the second). The kicker is that there is a sign in the shower warning you of how hot the water can get.
2) There really doesn't seem to be AC even though there is a wall control that says AC. I was told by the same maintenance man that the room unit is so small that it really wouldn't cool the room. Normally we would have left the window open at night because the night air felt great - but our first floor room window (1 level off ground) opened over a flat roof that someone could have used to climb through the window. But I know the AC in Europe isn't the same as the States and we managed ok - just don't expect real AC.

Overall:
This is a decent hotel in a great part of town. I might stay here again if I knew we'd have hot water and would have the same room type - based on the TA pics the rooms aren't standard, they are laid out to fit into the old architecture of the building and that's understandable and typical for Amsterdam. Looks very hit or miss, we happened to get a good hit on our stay in a three person triple room.

Room Tip: From what I've seen request to NOT have the basement. It seems to help to have more than two peo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We have stayed I a few best westerns so had no hesitation booking this for our trip to Amsterdam.

However I have to say we were a little disappointed , the hotel is in a great location for all if the museums, away from all the hustle and bustle. Yet we were given the basement room, room 2, overall this wasn't too bad however not the expectation that we have come to know from a best western. we did have a window which was a blessing however the Maids room was next door and they were extremely noisy every morning as well as workmen drilling earlier than I would have expected! The room quality was ok, but from what we seen upstairs we had been given a lesser room than others, again a little disappointing considering the price we had paid.

Would recommend for the location however I would request to not have a basement room!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Leidse Square Hotel? Share your experiences!