“Good location but so and so.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Leidse Square Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Leidse Square Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Leidse Square Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tesselschadestraat 23, 1054 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Western Rewards Rate
Ranked #162 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
bournemouth
“Good location but so and so.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

This hotel is on the lower end of 3 stars. Its location is fantastic to visit both the museums just round the corner the shopping area on liedsplein and to walk to the city center. Reception staff was helpful and professional. The rooms are not great and there is an aura of not being cleaned properly. There was a reported complain about a blocked shower and nothing was done. Not great.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We spent a weekend there, and we stayed in a room on the 3rd floor. The hotel is located near the busy Leidse Square, but is in a quiet street, near public transport, and within walking distance of the museum district. Our overall impression was very positive, as the room was clean, though a bit small. The staff were kind and helpful. The breakfast was adequate. All in all, it's good value for money, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher floors are the best choice.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

The hotel is in a good location for a lot of the shops and food places, it's only 4 mins from the bus top which takes you directly to the airport which takes about 35 mins. It's a good walk to the red light district at about 40 mins but as long as it's not raining you'll get to see a lot more of the city that way. Whilst we got clean bobbing every morning the cleaner wasn't on the ball, we put a cake wrapper on the window sill on our second day and we noticed it was still there when we left, also the shower tray did not get the clean it should have. The breakfast is €11 if booked in advance and a little dearer if you just turn up. It's in a very quiet part of the town which is great for a good sleep and the staff are helpful and a new city map can be had every day, we were on the third floor but the lift meant this wasn't a problem, the twin beds weren't ideal and the room very small but it had tea/coffee kettle and a tv with 2 English channels, cnn and Comedy Central. You could do far worse than to stay here but if your after something nearer to the north of the town then you may want to look elsewhere

Room Tip: We were in room 306 which is on the back of the hotel overlooking a type of gardened court yard
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

My family and I stayed here recently. I thought this hotel was a very good value. It was in a great location between the museum district and the Leidsesquare. The public trolley system was nearby and there was a ticket office near the Liedsessquare. Also, within a short walk was a great selection of restaurants and shops. The Van Gogh museum was a 10-15 minute walk, as was the Rijksmuseum. The only real negative was the breakfast; just so-so and definitely not worth the price. However, there are a few very good pancake restaurants (Dutch pancakes) that are a short walk away. The staff was very nice and the room nice by European size standards.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Good service with friendly and helpful staff. They will book tickets to museums etc for you. Small but nice rooms in a great location. Hotel is clean but needs updating such as new carpets, wallpaper.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

While the rooms itself may "seem" minimal on the surface, when you're a visitor in a different country your primary reason for being there isn't to be a hotel inspector. For me the best part was the staff. From the moment I was greeted by Martine and the young lady working with her that afternoon (forgive me, her name escapes me at this time. I'm sorry) I had and enjoyable stay. I arrived on Monday the 6th at about 1pm or so, I was so exhausted from being up early that Sunday morning and my overnight flight in from New Jersey, and Martine could see it. She made it possible to get a room as soon as I got there, but to make matters a little worse I became a slight P.I.T.A because my initial room didn't have a tub, (I don't know about anybody else but I needs my tub, yes I know I said "needs") and she made it happen for me......awesome!!!
Second thing that impressed me was the very relaxed, yet ever professional mannerism of the staff I encountered, case in point, Koen. I initially went to the front desk to inquire about/pay for a possible phone charge to my bill and ended up talking to Koen for well over and hour. All the while during this conversation about culture, work, family, what the capital of Amsterdam was and that Nelson Mandela "guy" (you had to be there to understand what those last two were about), Koen continued to do his job of checking people in, answering questions and accommodating fussy clientele in a very professional and respectful manner, even if some of the clients weren't as respectful...... or bright.
While it did take me a bit of an effort to find it, considering it wasn't in plain view or advertised as well as the other surrounding hotels and no one I asked could tell me where it was, it was still a good location for walks around very beautiful neighborhoods and within walking distant to local pubs, shops, transportation, and entertainment. But as I've stated before, the very best part was the staff. The attentiveness that they give to their customers is great,(oh and thank you to the bar manager for the peanuts). Martine even recognized me on the morning I left standing at the bus stop and said goodbye as she rode her bike in on her way to work.
I just want to say "Thank you" to the entire staff and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We were there twice in the past 2 weeks. The hotel is conveniently located about 5 min walk from Leidseplein, the bus connection to the airport and the many trams that cross through Amsterdam.

The room was comfortable and had both a shower and a bath. The hotel provided towels and toiletries. There was also a kettle with coffee and tea in the room. Everything was clean and neat. The staff was friendly and helpful. Although they serve breakfast at an additional cost, we never had breakfast there. We had internet access in the room which was very convenient.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple