“Unfortunately very unhappy” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Croydon
Warmoes Straat 75, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #336 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

When we first arrived in our room we were all a little taken back with the graffiti on the walls and the god awful stench coming from the bathroom it honestly smelt like something had died in there. We soon shut the bathroom door opened the windows and that was that problem dealt with. Having been up for a long time we all thought we would grab some sleep before we went out to have a look around the city then came the next problem “MICE”. Yes the room came with its own pet Mice that you could here running around all night it’s a good job I had top bunk. Once we had got settled and overlooked the very many bad points to the hotel its not to bad as far as location goes you are only 2 minutes away from Dam Square 5minutes from Amsterdam Central train station.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of January 2013 in a private 8 person bedroom (Room 6). The room itself was very basic with 4 bunk beds, 2 chairs, A small table and a set of lockers. To be fair the room was a good size and mostly clean but with worrying marks over the walls near the beds, electrics hanging off the wall and the en suite bathroom was almost unusable.

Also we seemed to have more pets than just the fore mentioned bed bugs (although we didn't get as many bed bug bites as others travelers have reported). Outside our window was a little court yard area where the hotel like to store their bins. The problem is this area is also home to rats who managed to get into our room at least one point that we know of during our stay.

And then there was the en suite bathroom. With a toilet seat and toilet lid that wasn't actually attached to the toilet, black stinking mold growing around the wet room style shower facilities and a disgusting toilet brush that would make anyone feel sick these were not the best facilities I've seen in a hostel.

And I should also mention the steep and twisty stair cases that do not feel safe (especially after a night out).

But on a positive note the location of this hostel can't be faulted as it's located on a very busy street close to the center and only a 5-10min walk from Central Station and the hostel was usually quiet at night (apart from a fire alarm one night) so you were able to get some sleep.

Personally I would not stay here again and I would not recommend but it didn't kill me and could have been worse.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. If this was my experience of a private room I would hate to find out what the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The pharmacist in Amsterdam said it was the worst case of bedbugs she had ever seen. When I arrived I wondered why there were 2 mattreses on my bed, I can only assume it was a vain attempt to eliminate the bug INFESTATION (see pictures). They paid for the medication I had to buy. So, if you choose to stay here, BEWARE! I'm still itching after being home for 2 days and my clothes are still being decontaminated.

For about 10 euros a night you do get what you pay for: mouldy walls, hair in the drain, and murderous stairs. However, this can NEVER excuse selling beds that they KNOW are plagued with bedbugs.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

A group of 6 friends (myself included) fancied a cheap trip to 'dam. Got to the Hostel and oh my god.
It was during a very hot week that we went and the smell of the waffle shop below really rose through the air. The stairs are at best, suicidal.
The cleanliness is awful. The maid actually cleaned the bathroom using one of the pillowcases that she had stripped from the bed.
The sheets were heavily stained and smelly.

HOWEVER

This hotel is in the perfect place in 'dam. Not right on the red light strip but just outside. It was such a great time and the city was fantastic. We all had a good laugh (whilst out of the hotel Croydon). I have given this 2 stars for the area but in my opinion, 0 for Accomodation.

Definitely go to Amsterdam
Avoid Hotel Croydon

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I was scared coming there after reading all the reviews but I was curious to try so.
After coming there everything seemed not as bad as everyone said.

The shower was clean and the rooms seemed fine. There was enough daylight and you view right on the Warmoesstraat which is amazing and very fun by night.

Staff was very helpful and care about what you did during your day.

Overall great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Croydon? Share your experiences!