My wife and I (mid 30's) stayed at the Prinsengracht Canal house at the beginning of August 2007, and were overall quite happy. The area is very quiet and seemingly safe residential area out of any main tourist zone, so you have the feeling of being with local Amsterdamers.
Fabulous cafes, Michelin recommended restaurants, bars and a couple of superb bakeries and a delicatessen are just around the corner.
We had a Type D room which is very pleasant and has plenty of space for 2 people. We'd say slightly overpriced for what you get.
Be sure to ask for a canal view if that is what you want, as half the apartments within the building face out over neighbours to the rear. Noise from apartments above can be a problem if you have a group of late night partiers on top of your head - (thumping feet and bass from the massively overpowered subwoofer supplied in every room).
Be warned the stairs are incredibly steep (they should be called ladders really - no joke!), so big suitcases could case problems for anyone with strength/back/knee problems.
The bathroom is very small with a lack of any shelves for putting toiletries, - a pity when making it another half metre wider would have had no effect on the main room - it does the job but is far from enjoyable being in there.
The room has most things you need to be self contained:
- Expresso coffee machine and kettle
- Gas stovetop/burners
- Plates, pots, pans, etc
- HD flat screen TV (but terrible reception from the aerial) and DVD/hifi system
- Dining table, chairs, etc
- The fold down double bed is made from 2 single inner spring mattresses - quite firm
- Sheets, pillows, towels, etc are all good quality
- Some cupboard storage for clothes and open rack for hanging clothes
What it doesn't have:
- No phone or internet connectivity. (and we failed to find an internet cafe within easy walking distance. Nearest public phone seemed to be about a 10 minute walk away)
- No clothes washing/drying machine (kitchen sink is OK for hand washing)
- No clothes drying line - fixed or pull-out rope type
- No full length mirror (just the small vanity mirror in the bathroom)
- No ironing board (but an iron is supplied)
- (Not) Enough clothes hangers (we only had 6 between 2 people)
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and Despegar.com so you can book your Prinsengracht Canal House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Prinsengracht Canal House Hotel Amsterdam