“Great Value” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel the Golden Bear to your Saves list
Hotel the Golden Bear
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kerkstraat 37, 1017GB Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #236 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bridgwater
“Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Great location (15 mins from some of the main attractions in the city), reasonably priced, clean, shared bathroom was clean too...
Stairs a little narrow and twisty after a few beers!
Emailed a request which was dealt with superbly...would use again!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Quentin Hotel (No longer Golden Bear)

Prior to renovation, I stayed here two years ago (see old review) when it was called the Golden Bear, which is now the Quentin (apparently there are now 4 in Amsterdam so I would stay clear of any of them which you will see why after you read this). This place is now a dump. I do not recommend anyone to stay here, especially if you stayed here when it was the Golden Bear. It is obvious the new owners are oblivious to its decay. Interestingly it is many of the same workers from the old establishment so not sure why this place has taken such a nose-dive. Plus the rates are astronomical for what you get and compared to before. I got a deluxe room and not sure what the lower level type room would be like.

Pros: location
Cons: cleanliness/very dirty, no WiFi in rooms, wrong advertising on booking.com/hotels.com, no social spaces, noise from other guests and housekeeping, security (no safes in "second floor rooms" although I cannot say whether the other floors have safes or not

Instead of having the old set up with the small café like atmosphere the lobby is now half the size with 3 cheap Ikea like tables. They then set up the tables for breakfast which costs 10euro extra. At this time you cannot sit in the lobby and use the internet hence you must leave and use it elsewhere. I walked 1 km to a Starbucks so I could use WiFi. The guy made it very clear, when he started setting up, that he didn't want me in the "lobby" working on the computer. I told him that the rooms are to have WiFi and he said they haven't changed the listing on booking.com/hotels/com. Pasted on the desk at check-in it clearly states there is no WiFi in the rooms so I should have cancelled right then but it is Amsterdam in high season so no real choices.

As for cleanliness, it is disgusting. First, is the carpet when you are going up the stairs. Then on the second floor they made rooms that are mostly fiberglass walls. Upon entering the room you will see the walls covered in God knows what. This is then met by dust balls everywhere which for the time I have been here have not been swept up…..still sitting everywhere under the desk and near the door. This mirrors the bedding.

The sheets had holes all in them and they were heavily stained. The second day I thought they would be changed but weren't. Then on the third day I took all of the sheets off the bed and put them in the corner of the room. Guess what? Housekeeping put the same hole-filled stained sheets back on the bed! He also didn't leave a bath mat or another towel. Not sure what he was doing. Nothing was wiped down on the cheap fiberglass bathroom sink area which included, on my third day there, two dirty glasses from using them. Neither were washed nor replaced.

In the shower there are no toiletries such as soap or shampoo so you must bring your own. The new sink is made of fiberboard and the rest of the furnishing are cheap as well. No bedside table as there is no room. There is a fan to cool you off if needed but no air-conditioning.

Much of what is listed on booking.com/hotels.com is incorrect. They could care less. If they say that all of this is due to renovation, don't believe them. This is not the case.

There is no safe in the room at all. When I mentioned this I was asked if I brought a lock for my luggage? Are you kidding? This is a hotel I am paying nearly 150US per night and you are asking if I have a lock for my luggage to keep my valuables safe? I was told they could only do so much. Ask them how long these renovations have been going on. I would say over a year because the walls speak volumes with the dirt/grime/scratches/fluids all over them.

The noise is quite unbearable. In the hotel description it says the place is carpeted which it is not. The stairs are but the rooms and halls are not. Instead they have put down faux wood linoleum type flooring which magnifies the sounds everywhere. I was constantly woken up no matter what time I slept. One day I asked if they were renovating the room upstairs from me and he said no it was housekeeping. I am not sure what he was moving for so long as it is obvious housekeeping moved nothing in my room except the dirty hole-marked and stained sheets back onto my bed.

This hotel definitely deserves one star. Also, it does not cater to the gay crowd like it used to. Instead you have clientele such as backpackers, families, and couples.

It is sad what a differences two years makes (when I last stayed here last). There are so many hotels in Amsterdam, and the same area. Do yourself a favor and find one that is of value matching the amount of money you pay and what you receive in return.

I originally booked for 3 nights but extended it 1 more night upon check-in. Poor decision-making on my part.

Please see pictures for more inspiration not to book here. Pictures include: holes in the sheets, stains on the sheets, two pictures of the walls- one with scratches the other with fluid stains, the cheap unfinished fiberboard bathroom counter, the hallway next to my room (maybe they should put a curtain up. It is the fire escape but literally what I see when I walk out of my room, and the dust balls covering the floor.

I am writing this on my third day. Unfortunately I have 2 more nights to go but I figured things won't get worse. Note that the pictures shown are NOT what the place is like at all.

They can say they are still renovating but that has been going on for over a year. It also doesn't explain the dried fluids all over the walls, the dust all over the floors, never having the room cleaned, stained sheets with holes, surly personnel, no WiFi in the rooms doesn't take renovation, no safes in the rooms....considering how long renovations have been going on you would think room safes and WiFi access in the rooms would be a priority.

While typing this guys who were in a room downstairs said they had no safe either. We had a good conversation about this being a basic requirement of a hotel but apparently this is not the case.

Room Tip: Check the room first- look for a safe, clean sheets, clean room, WiFi, etc.. Apparently the rooms on...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
daisy9700
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

good location near Leidesplein and very friendly staff.a very decent sized room.shared bathroom facilities which is quite normal in "traditional" type hotels in Netherlands.overall price was very good value.my one whinge was that i arrived at noonm,2 hours before checkin and was allowed to check in straight away for an extra 10 euros.the room was available so i dont see why the extra was incurred apart from greed.a sad let down cos otherwise a great little hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Me and my travelling companion stayed there last night and had booked a private room for a very cheap price, something like €30 each.

We were so happy to be greeted by the friendly young lady at reception who helped us with everything and explained we had been given an even better room. I'm not sure why!

We had a small but tidy and clean room with two very comfortable beds and a good sized window. The best part of the room however was the en suite bathroom. It had a walk in style shower with huge rain style shower head which totally immersed you in water. The bathroom was beautiful and that's the best shower I've had travelling for two weeks!

I couldn't believe this was a hostel or that it was so affordable. The area in which it is located is at the centre of everything and anywhere is accessible from here. So happy and I would seriously recommend staying here if you're in Amsterdam. I would have taken a lady friend to stay here, that's how good.

Stayed July 2014
Essex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I booked a long weekend with friends at the Golden Bear, where I have stayed many times previously, on 31 March 2014. This was done through Booking.com and is the subject of a complaint to them. At no time during the process was I told that The Golden Bear had been bought by the Quentin Group in October 2013 and was no longer a gay hotel.

The old Golden Bear had a charm about it, it was basic but you knew what you were getting. On arrival in Kerkstraat we were confused that the hotel sign was no longer there but, on closer inspection, we saw they had retained a small plaque by the door so went in. We had booked a twin & a double room & the confirmation noted these would contain a TV with DVD player (not important but that's what it said), a refrigerator and a kettle for tea/coffee; of these only a basic flat screen on the wall was provided. The room I ended up in, no 35, was on the third floor and, in fact, would not have had room for them in any case. As the weather was wonderful the room was also stiflingly hot and we had to keep the window open the entire three days/nights we were there and actual sleep almost impossible. Sadly, the light above my bed did not work so I wasn't even able to read as I sweated the night away!

A shower, basin & loo had been recently installed, which was nice, but the sink was one of those silly carved out boulders on a wooden plinth and the base was too large for the space which meant it could only be used with the shower room door being left open. The screw down 'plug' in it didn't fully close the hole so no water could be retained in it and making it a trial to shave. The guy who booked us in could not have been less interested and when I queried that the hotel was not as described when we booked it he just said 'it's been taken over & it's not gay anymore'. We should have packed up & left but had had to pay for the room when given our key so the hassle would have been more trouble than it was worth for a short stay.

The first morning, when we went down for the breakfast included in the price paid, we discovered that the old & comfortable breakfast area no longer existed, made into another room maybe, and we had to crowd into the reception area for what was available. Peter on the desk did his best to make things pleasant, and we are grateful to him for that, but if that is the best Quentin's can do perhaps they should reduce the price and remove breakfast as an option, they obviously don't really want to provide it.

The icing on the cake came on the Saturday evening when we returned to the room to discover that, while the waste bin in the shower room had been emptied so someone had obviously been in during the day, the bed clothes had only been pulled up instead of the beds being re-made. Thanks, for nothing Quentin's!

All in all, a very dispiriting experience and we will definitely not be returning to a Quentin Hotel again no matter how they try to describe it. In the UK I would probably have reported them for breaches of the Trades Description act!

Room Tip: Make sure the facilities you paid for are actually included and probably ask not to be on the top fl...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed here 2 nights cause it was relatively cheap and look nice and clean from photos.

On arrival at 12noon, and check-in was 2pm. We were told our room was ready but we had to pay 10euro extra to get to our rooms. We asked if they could hold luggage, they told us yes, but luggage was just in the front foyer, the door was usually open and often the person at the front desk would not be there, so definitely no secure luggage hold area. As we were heading out for the day we decided to pay the 10 euro extra to make sure our bags were no stolen.

Our room was tiny, but this is not uncommon in europe. However, the beds and bathrooms were very clean and well maintained.

The worse part of our stay was the noise. There were very thin walls, where you could hear your neighbours conversation. There was also no sound proofing from outside. We had a front room where you could hear all the trucks delivering to neighbouring businesses(which seems very often), all the people walking pass, all through the night, we had a terrible sleep. And unfortuantely my husband was sick in bed all day (no fault of the hotel) but it meant he got no rest at all.

The location was very convenient. Maybe if we stayed in a back room the noise levels could have been better, I'm not sure?

Room Tip: The front rooms are extremely noisy (though I didn't see the back rooms)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Great place to stay for a very reasonable price! The staff was really friendly and location is very great! Room was always clean and well maintained. I highly recommend this place while staying in Amsterdam.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel the Golden Bear? Share your experiences!