“Basic comfort in great location” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel the Golden Bear to your Saves list
Hotel the Golden Bear
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kerkstraat 37, 1017GB Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #236 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Basic comfort in great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the hotel for 5 nights. We had a nice size top floor room with private bath. The room smelled of cigarette smoke when we arrived (even though it had no smoking posted on the door), but it cleared up after a day with the window open. The room was basic and clean with a comfortable double bed. The shower was very large for european standards. A reviewer complained about WIFI on the top floors, but we got an excellent fast signal. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The stay included a nice small breakfast every morning that was served until 11 AM. The hotel left fresh towels at our door everyday, but they did not provide daily housecleaning services which surprised and disappointed us a little. It's considered an LGBT hotel, but they welcome everyone and the guests were very diversified during our stay. The location was EXCELLENT and the Tram stop is right outside the hotel to Central station, shopping and red light district. Since all you do is walk in Amsterdam, this is was the perfect central location. So about those famous stairs!!... yes, they are VERY small and winding, it was an adventure lugging suitcases up and down, but it had no effect on my perception or review of the hotel. To us it was part of the Amsterdam charm. I viewed it as a great butt and leg workout, but I could see how it would be an inconvenience for older folks. There is no air conditioning, so it was a bit loud at night with the windows open facing the street, but no big deal. This was our first time in Amsterdam and it is now one of my favorite cities in the world. LOVE IT! We will definitely be back and would consider staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel is centrally located and an easy walk to all places in Amsterdam, it was close to a lot of the gay venues. The breakfast was good and no issue with getting any further food, I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

From Barcelona we stayed at the hotel five days to visit our son who works in Amsterdam. I had to order some extra service without any problem. No problem with language, because my English is not too fluid, were at all times very friendly. At any time you could you prepare a tea, a coffee, a soup in the same room. I would recommend to anyone for its good location and good service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Temple Terrace, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I will stay somewhere else the next time I am in Amsterdam. The staircases are dangerous and steep and the WIFI is horrendous. I had to walk downstairs to use the WIFI. It was not accessible on the 3rd and 4th floors.

I knew we had shared bathrooms as well, but there were fewer than 1 per floor. 50% chance you have to take the dangerous stairs to use the bathroom.

No elevator, which can be an issue if you are stuck on the 3rd or 4th floors. I do NOT have mobility issues, but the stairs were a problem, especially since I had to use them to get WIFI.

Breakfast was APPROPRIATELY later, which is a plus. One morning was bread, ham, bologna looking meat, and cheese. Another morning had eggs cooked to order. Being in Amsterdam, with late nights, it was nice to have breakfast go until 11am or noon.

Room Tip: Request the 1st 2 floors and the BACK of the hotel where it is quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
N Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have spent a considerable time, seeking convenient accommodation in Amsterdam and elected to stay at the Golden Bear. I made my booking via booking.com and received back confirmation of my booking which I have printed.
Shortly after ( and when other special offers had been snatched up), I received an e mail from the Golden Bear to tell me my booking had overlapped on the system and I did not now have the booking as described in my confirmation.
It seems to be the case that, when I submit my credit card details and enter into that contract with the Golden Bear, that I cannot cancel that without loosing money.The Golden Bear however can cancel that booking without any cost to them but at a cost to me.
To add insult to injury the manager corrected me for referring to this as a mistake and insisted it is not a "mistake"? - Discuss!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

If there is another place to visit with cheaper rates and an attached toilet pls do so......I have no complaints about having to use a toilet outside but if there isnt any soap or a clean shower room then I would have to pass....its not easy waking up at 4am having to walk the narrow steps to the toilet....having said breakfast was sufficient but not great and in limited quantity.....now for the positive part....the location is good....with the trams just 2 minutes walk away and De Klos restaurant just above the street which serves the best pork ribs and lamb shank.

Rooms facing the street are almost impossible to sleep so beware

Should be paying less for the facilities

Room Tip: Take the top floors to sleep peacefully but beware the toilet is on the lower floor, only a sink in...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel the Golden Bear? Share your experiences!