“Grand Hotel Amrâth Amsterdam an unmatchable experience ….” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #44 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
“Grand Hotel Amrâth Amsterdam an unmatchable experience ….”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

Grand Hotel Amrâth Amsterdam an unmatchable experience ….

Recently, my wife and I spent a weekend in this hotel that is located in the vaccinated building of the former Royal Steamer Society. After a warm and hospitable welcome, where the car by an employee is parked on the closed parking, we are guided to our suite. A beautiful suite which consists of a living/work room, bedroom and a bathroom. Breathe history while the rooms are equipped with all the facilities that makes a stay as more pleasant, ranging from two flat screens, a true four-poster bed to electrically controlled curtains.
Recommend a guided tour of one of the hospitable but not intrusive staff. They have provided us with all sorts of things about this building full of beautiful details and grandeur that if a warm blanket to feel.
The proximity to the shopping area, museums and entertainment centre is almost perfect, everything is within walking distance and the routes are located in a safe area.
After an afternoon of shopping and culture sniffing is to relax in the extensive spa, which is equipped with fine saunas and a swimming pool. In a completely relaxed state we have enjoyed a glass of fine wine in the hotel bar before us fully swear to all the goodies that is provided in the on-site restaurant.
The next day begins with a generous breakfast buffet which we have chosen for the English variant supplemented with all kinds of fresh fruit and vegetable drinks.
We can recommend everyone this and want to fill out the staff and management to thank for this unforgettable experience.

With compliments,

Fam. Nijboer (Leeuwarden, Holland)

2,220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Ok, so this was my second time staying at the Grand Amrath Hotel. We had two bookings ( the first a very cheap Standard Room with breakfast via agoda ) for 3 nights, then another booking for 7 nights ( Superior Room City View via expedia) after a weekend trip to Berlin.

We arrived at the hotel about 10.30 am from a long flight and were able to checkin early. I mentioned that I was celebrating my birthday and had two bookings. I was immediately offered an upgrade for my first stay and also the opportunity to have same room for our return. Room 107. ( smoking) It was an excellent choice for us as the room over looked the canal and was at the back of the hotel, VERY quiet.
After some great shopping in Amsterdam we were able to leave one very full suitcase at the hotel while we were in Berlin. On return we were given the same room as promised.

We experienced only one problem while staying the second time. Some very noisy guests in the room next door arrived on the Friday evening ( our quiet sanctuary had been disturbed). It became clear that these people were up for a big weekend which would have meant an end to our enjoyment of the room. I complained to the concierge who immediately dealt with the situation in a very robust manner which we were very grateful for. We had no further disturbances.

As I have now stayed at this hotel multiple times here is my general review.
The Staff are friendly, discreet and efficient.
The rooms are fabulous with high ceilings and the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Large baths with plenty of room for two.
There are differing reviews on whether this is a 5 star hotel. If you are after large pretentious foyers with giant chandeliers and staff the fuss over you like your royalty stay somewhere else.
If however, like me, you book a hotel for its convenience, location and quality of rooms/beds there is no better in Amsterdam. The amrath has a unique style with welcoming unpretentious staff. It is the perfect room to get over jet lag. We ate breakfast at the hotel when it was included in the room rate and chose to eat elsewhere when it was not included as there is plenty of choice nearby.
I will definitely stay again.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

The hotel acknowledged our request for quiet rooms with adjoining (not connecting) rooms facing an inner courtyard. The rooms were spacious with very comfy beds and modern bathrooms and Lanvin amenities. There was plenty of light during the day but it was very gloomy at night as there is very little lighting in the rooms. We joked that we should have brought a torch with us as it was difficult to find items in our suitcases which were not directly in the line of light. The free mini bar was a nice touch and a welcome change from other hotels which overcharge for mineral water.
The staff were generally helpful and courteous. We had a bit of a rocky start when we asked for a restaurant recommendation and discovered after a rather long walk that it was closed for renovation. Food in the hotel was very good and the breakfast spread was impressive and enjoyed by us all.
We had come to Amsterdam to visit the museums and the hotel is not particularly well situated for the museum district so we spent rather a lot of money on taxis. We can't reproach the hotel for its position as it was clearly marked on the map! But it is rather close to the seedier areas which we didn't like.
The Bisazza tiling in the spa are is nice but the pool is barely bigger then a plunge pool and the gym is small.
It is an interesting hotel with interesting architectural features but I think we would choose a different area next time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

I was there for a 1-night stop in Amsterdam with my family.

This hotel is just great: it features a very high standard of comfort and service, with something that makes the difference: due to the historical building, this hotel has a "soul" = it is much different from other top end chain hotels.

Our room was pleasant: very large, with an impression high celling and a nice art-deco touch.

Last but not least, the hotel is less than 10-minute walk from the central station and other places of interest while visiting Amsterdam, but remains in a quite area.

I will definitively go back to Amrath Amsterdam... if I get an affordable rate!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

Just stayed one night but was really impressed by the hotel. The building is fantastic, you must spend some time exploring the staircases, landings and other public areas. The rooms are well appointed with great beds. Free mini bar too! The location is a few hundred meters easy walk from the Central Station and convenient to all Amsterdam attractions.

Just one negative though. The breakfast was C25 Euro each and definitely not worth it. Skip breakfast in the hotel and go to one of the nearby cafes.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Grand Hotel Amrath, Amsterdam - it is great and we both really enjoyed staying there.

The hotel is fantastic, the staff are very helpful, the rooms are clean and spacious and the location is superb. It is very unusual for me to be so complimentary about a hotel as I usually find something to complain about......... but on this occasion I couldn't! I am still in shock that the mini bar in the hotel room is re-filled every day - free of charge!

The location is superb it is easy to access the main sites and attractions and the hotel is only 7-10 minutes walk from Amsterdam Central Train station - get the train from the airport its really easy and the taxi's are very expensive; 45 euro by taxi each way 8 euro return train ticket (per person)..

Don't be put off by the outside of the hotel building, when you first arrive I was a bit worried as it is rather gothic looking from the outside but inside it is really really nice.

Only thing to be aware of - it is a 5* and you do pay 5* prices in the hotel bar, but then my husband and I found eating and drinking in Amsterdam expensive.

If you want a good meal while you are there I can certainly reccommend the Me Naam Naam Thai resturant and the Aneka Rasa Indonesian resturant - both serve excellent food and drink the service is fantastic!

Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Me and my girlfriend recently stayed at the Grand Amrath for two nights the reason for the choice of hotel was the star rating against the price, We payed under 300(sterling) for 2 nights in a deluxe room without the city view , Which i actually preferred because it faced an inward courtyard type place with plenty of privacy. Also the hotel lived up its name " Grand" Because all the high sealing and lovely art added to the comfortable stay we had, it seemed like we were the only people on our corridor sometimes which added to the privacy. Another reason for the booking of the hotel on my part was the "free mini bar" Which was daily topped up , Only point i will make is that the brand of local beer was not to my taste but the hotel had no problem with you stocking up on your own choice of beer from the supermarket a 1 minute walk away. Again we could not argue with the service provided by this hotel. The Location was a perfect only a ten minute walk from both central station and the lively red light district . Would recommend this hotel to any other couples planning a trip to the fantastic city of Amsterdam. Yours sincerely The_white_leroy

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam? Share your experiences!