“Classy old Art Deco Building, oozes class!.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #47 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
chester
“Classy old Art Deco Building, oozes class!.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

...Spent last December here at Xmas, loved the Art deco feel of a former shipping companies, worth an explore to see quirky bits of architecture, check in was a bit slow because of them loosing the online booking form, which stressed me a bit, but apart form that, lovely boutique type of room, staff were smart and on the whole was a good expereince, spa was clean and I loved the old style lift, room was quiet and afforede us a view over the harbour, on the whole a good weeknd, would i spend £200 euros, prob not, got a cheap deal on the net!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

2,081 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

Was rather disappointed with this hotel. The staff took ages to check me in- and then spent about 10 minutes arguing as to who was going to take me to my room. I would have been happy to go myself- and thought it was quite rude. I suppose they did not realise that i speak Dutch.

Although the building is spectacular- the conversion of the office it used to be is rather cold. Very dark and cold. Just felt like you were staying in offices with a few beds thrown in! But on plus side rooms are massive.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

i booked this hotel for myself and my partner to celebrate his birthday, so i thought it would be good to have a relaxing weekend in amsterdam.
i was shocked at check in when they asked for 300 euros as security as they needed 1oo euro for each night we were staying there. i was not told about this before and i had read the small print which stated i would be charged 5% service charge and i assumed that would be it.
they had problems with both my debit and credit card and i started to feel embarrased as i knew i had money in my account but felt like i was made to feel that i shouldnt have been there. i informed the staff that i only had GBP on me and i was happy to leave some cash as backative but i had insisted that i leave 50 euros a night as i was not told of this. they accepted my offer and asked me to change my money as they can only accept euros so i had to go out and look for a money exchange just so that we can get into the room.
other then that the hotel was ok. i dont think it should be a 5 star hotel as i have stayed in better places before which were graded lower. i have also stayed in other 5 star places which lived up to their 5 star reputation, this i feel they didnt.
i was upset to go down to the wellness centre that myself and partner were looking forward to and was told that the steam room was out of order and that they were still waiting for a specialist to repair so that was a bit of a downer. we did however make use of the sauna, jacuzzi, and swimming pool.
the breakfast was ok they served a lot of pig which was no good to either myself or my partner as we are muslims. we did ask them if they had a veg option e.g veg sausages etc and they didnt.
the only good thing i would say about this hotel is its locality as you are fairly central and the free minibar which was good as we stocked up on the soft drinks.
i wouldnt say i had a bad service, but it wasnt 5 star either. i wouldnt come back to this hotel as its not worth the money £750 for 3 nights and i would definently not recommend the breakfast which we paid 35 euros a day as it just was not worth it.

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights for my husband's birthday. The hotel is in a great location and the room we had was amazing. I think they upgraded us as I had contacted them in advance and told them it was a special occassion. I would definitely stay here again - lovely hotel with great staff.

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

Came to Amsterdam on business. I only stay in 5 star hotels. This was my fist trip to Amsterdam, I chose this hotel because it was close the train station. When I arrived they did not have my reservation in order. When I finally did get my room it was NOT CLEAN! The concierge was unhelpful, he could not give me recommendations on anything, that is not a proper concierge if you ask me. I have 2 more business trips scheduled for Amsterdam this year, I will not book with this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

I booked this hotel because it was supposed to be a 5 star hotel near the train station. The price for the room was fairly expensive but I was willing to pay a price for a nice hotel. My travel agent booked our room for our family requesting a rollaway bed for our 2 yr old. Upon arrival they stated that there was a charge for the rollaway bed. I told them i did not want the rollaway bed if they were going to charge me. They then spoke amongst each other and offered us an upgrade and free rollaway bed. When we go to the room it was fine. The decor was nice and there was a window that opened all the way. But the room was not cleaned properly before our arrival. There were opened bottles of wine and water with the mini bar, dirty cups, and hair in the bathroom. In my opinion, for a 5 star hotel, it should be much cleaner than that. The concierge was very unhelpful. He could make no recommendations on restaurants in the area which seemed strange to me. Upon check out we were charged 50 euros a night for the rollaway bed. When I spoke to a manager to remove the charges they refused saying our reservation stated it was only for 2 adults and that we made no mention of a child as part of the reservation. It did not matter that I was told otherwise at check in. I DO NOT LIKE SURPRISE CHARGES!! I thought their demeanor over the situation was unprofessional. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for 5-star service!

The only good thing about this hotel is the pool. However, the area is not maintained throughout the day. Dirty towels left on chairs for several hours and water cups left around pool area. Again, not a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

We booked this hotel as part of a secretsales web-site promotion. Although when booking we upgraded the room to Deluxe. We arrived on Friday early evening and upon checking in the receptionist gave us a free upgrade to Junior suite without us even having to ask! The room was MASSIVE and came with a free minibar filled with soft and alcoholic drinks. The cleaner even put a small bottle of champagne in there on Saturday which was a nice touch.

The Spa facilities were very good (jacuzzi/steam/sauna/etc) and well maintained, although I could imagine at the height of season you may be pushed to find a spot to sit or a bit of a squeeze in the pool!

We didn't use the main restaurant but did use the bar for evening food and breakfast, both well priced and decent enough food.

The Concierge was excellent, a really nice guy and recommended places to visit and a restaurant to visit on Sunday (Indrapura - fab!)

The hotel is well positioned away from the red light district and if you walk south you wouldn't know the Damrak was even there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam? Share your experiences!