“Good, but not great...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #43 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
USA
“Good, but not great...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Overall it was a comfortable room in a decent location. We were on the top floor and were able to get the room to a comfortable temperature but be aware it’s not a true air conditioning system. I thought the bed was very comfortable and the room was a good size. I liked the little sitting area. There’s not much room to put away clothes. The bathroom is nicely modern and the tub was large and deep. While I’d paid for a canal side room, we were put on the side facing all the construction along the waterfront near the train station. They said I’d requested a smoking room, which I’m quite sure I had not, so this was a compromise to get a room instead of waiting. There is a LOT of construction in this area – in front of the train station and to the east toward the hotel. I was too lazy to move once we got settled in. There didn’t seem to be any noise that bothered us and we are light sleepers. The hotel seemed quiet to me. The included minibar was nice and was refilled daily. The Nespresso machine was a real treat! Finding your way around the hallways is challenging. The 2 computer business center was usually full but was convenient once you got a turn. I was most happy with the fact that the room was comfortable, cool and quiet. The biggest downsides would be the location and all the construction. I don’t require many services from a hotel but I agree with the reviews that state it’s hard to find some help if you need it. Without a true lobby, it doesn’t have a 5 star hotel feel. Overall, I would recommend only if you can get a good rate. I looked at the rack rate listing in the room and it was something like €459. That would be insane. I’d if you can get it for under €170 then it would be ok. If I were to go back to Amsterdam, I'd probably try another hotel but I could still recommend this one with just a few caveats.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Located a few short blocks from Central Station on a canal. This is truly a five star hotel. Everything was first class. Free mini-bar, in room coffee espresso maker, fine dinning, one of the most luxurious inside spa/pools anywhere. The room was whisper quite (even during the World Cup Finals) ask for anything and they provide it.
Custom everything from the wall paper to the rooms. Even if you can not stay here go see this place and try the restaurants.
If you want the Best this is it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

I am actually a fan of this hotel. I have stayed here before and really liked it. I personally like the location and the free mini bar and fitness center with pool and steam room is very nice. Stayed this time for a few nights in July and it was very hot. No air conditioning in the rooms and the front desk was not able to locate a fan for us. I nearly went out and bought one myself. I didn't realise that a hotel with 4 or 5 stars would not have air conditioning. Very dissapointing. It was so humid, everyone in my family was having cool showers a couple times a day to cool off. Yuck! The room was great, gorgeous views, comfortable beds ect. Please Amrath is you read this, get air conditioning in your hotel so I can come back there. Otherwise I will only stay in cooler seasons. Everything else about the hotel I really like. P.S. The bacon cheeseburgers are really good at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

I booked this hotel wusing hotwire for $120USD per night plus taxes. For that price it is well worth it.

When we arrived at 2:30pm our room wasn't ready. It took another 1.5hrs which was annoying seeing as we were tired from the flight, but I can't complain too much since they were upgrading us from a city view room to a canal view for free.

The hotel was located less than 1km away from Central Station so we were able to walk to the hotel pulling our luggage. Good thing too because taxis seem to be hard to come by there.

The hotel room was clean and spacious. It had 16ft high ceilings with beautiful big windows to see the canal. The bed was very comfortable to sleep in and quite large given normal european standards. The bathroom had a rain shower and seperate soaker tub. There were also two sinks in the bathroom. The mini bar was restocked every morning and completely free. It had bottles of coke, diet coke, sprite, orange juice, water, wine, beer, and small shot bottles of rye, rum, vodka, gin, and something else. The cleaning service clean the room in the morning and then come back at night for turn down service and to tidy up whatever mess you've made during the day.

Other than maybe the Von Gogh Museum and surrounding area the hotel is within a 15 minute walking distance to pretty much everything you could want to see.

I would stay at this hotel again in Amsterdam but not for the advertised rate of $250USD per night. I just don't think any hotel is worth that per night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London Saffa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Although it was a little tricky to get to the hotel as there are roardworks at the moment (July 2010) when we did get to the front of it, the architecture is quite something else. Tall gothic building with gargoil statues on the side, next to beautiful tree-lined canal. Its quite close to centraal station and there is a direct route over a bridge to the gorgeous NieweMarkt area. Anyway, going up the red carpet into the hotel you find the concierge desk surrounded by marble walls. A quick check in with an upgrade from a deluxe to a superior room and through the maze of corridors we went. The room was lovely. I'll summerise for easy reading

* Big Room
* Soft White comfy bed
* huge windows
* Desk and seperate table and chairs
* Modern Marble bathroom with seperate walkin shower with a rain shower head
* Nespresso Machine with as many pods as you wish
* Free minibar (but bring your own bottleopener or you will have to buy one like we did)
* Free wireless internet
* contemporary stylish decor
* adjustable air conditioning
* quiet

The staff were lovely and always willing to explain anything or just simply chat.
Room service menu isnt very varied and there is not really an ala carte option. Room service incurs a EUR 7.50 charge. Hence we didnt order because you can't order individual items.

We didnt get to use the spa area as we forgot our costumes, but other guests seemed to think it was fantastic.

While this does fit into my previous experience of 5* Hotels in europe, i honestly feel that 5 stars are given too freely in europe in comparison with what you get in the US and South Africa at a 5* establishment. I would rate this hotel as an upper 4*, but still great.

A few tips.
- dont forget the bottle opener - seriously!
- Trams are easy, get an Iamsterdam card and you can hop on the number 2 that leaves from centraal station right the way through the Dam, Leidseplein to vondelpark.
- hire a canal pedal bike (25% discount with iamasterdam) its awesome!
- stock up on your own snacks for those times of need ;)
- sit in the park and bicycle watch!

Amsterdam is a really beautiful clean city and so navigable by foot, bike, tram or boat. The Hotel Grand Amrath was a lovely place to come back to each day and we would definitely return.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before, but have always consulted the website when I am planning a trip. After my stay at the Amrath, I am compelled to alert potential visitors that this is in no way a five star hotel. I guess it's ok when you consider the prices they offer for their rooms... but the condition of the hotel, the location, the amenities and, above all, the service is not of five star quality.
When I am sharing a hotel with a lot of guests who are just in Amsterdam to visit the red light district, get high in their room and run out for munchies, something is not right... the location stinks. If you can walk to your hotel from the train station, you know it is not in a good location.
The staff was poorly trained and I think overall, the hotel was understaffed. There were many times when my husband and I were in the lobby and no one was to be found.
Luckily, we were able to get a fan after a few nights bad sleep because the room was incredibly stuffy and hot- you can only change the room temp by 3 degrees in either direction.
Whoever doles out hotel stars needs to reconsider the Amrath's ranking. I know they have a "fitness center", a business center, pool, etc. but you only need to spend one night at this hotel to realize that the Amrath should not be listed in the top category of hotels in Amsterdam.

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Husband, daughter and I stayed here for two nights mid-June. I got a good rate off of Hotwire ($129 + tax for double room, $105 + tax for single room, per night). This rate was only available for weeknights, not weekends.

I was really looking forward to staying here, based on the reviews. I guess, though, that I'm just not that big a fan of the architecture. Interesting building from the outside and in the lobby, bar and restaurant areas, but once you get into the hallways and the rooms themselves, nothing special. I personally thought the hallways looked a little depressing. Hard to find your way around, also. Rooms were average size for european hotels. Very nice bathrooms, except for the fact that there's not a real door between the room & bathroom, just a frosted glass panel, and no separate door for the toilet area. Not much on privacy :)
Beds were o.k., but not great (not a "heavenly" mattress, if you know what i mean, but o.k.). I wasn't that impressed with the free mini-bar either. There were one or two bottles each of small wine, beer and water bottles. As far as snacks, forget it. They provide one bag of stale peanuts (really stale!), and one very hard nougat bar. They really shouldn't advertise that they offer snacks in the mini-bar, with a selection like that. Free internet, but complicated system to get it. We had to call the front desk, and for some reason, they wouldn't give us a code over the phone - we had to wait for someone to show up with the code in writing. Which they didn't do for a half hour - which was too long for it to be useful in looking up where we were going that evening. The bar area was nice and cozy. Expensive of course, and the drinks weren't very good (gin & tonics). We didn't eat at the restaurant, so can't comment.
I will say, it was nice and quiet, so that was greatly appreciated. The staff was competent but not what I would call friendly (not unfriendly, either, just disinterested.)

As far as location, it's only five minutes from the train station, but being off to the east, it makes for a few minutes longer walk to central amsterdam attractions than some of the other central hotels.

I would say this is a very nice hotel to be able to get for under $150 a night, but I certainly wouldn't pay the regular rate for it, compared to other choices near by. (We stayed at the Marriott Renaissance one night, and really liked it much better). I suppose all the other factors (bed, amenities, service) are more important to me than the architecture, and this hotel just wasn't that outstanding in any of those categories.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam? Share your experiences!