“Glad we chose this hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #54 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
London Saffa
“Glad we chose this hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Although it was a little tricky to get to the hotel as there are roardworks at the moment (July 2010) when we did get to the front of it, the architecture is quite something else. Tall gothic building with gargoil statues on the side, next to beautiful tree-lined canal. Its quite close to centraal station and there is a direct route over a bridge to the gorgeous NieweMarkt area. Anyway, going up the red carpet into the hotel you find the concierge desk surrounded by marble walls. A quick check in with an upgrade from a deluxe to a superior room and through the maze of corridors we went. The room was lovely. I'll summerise for easy reading

* Big Room
* Soft White comfy bed
* huge windows
* Desk and seperate table and chairs
* Modern Marble bathroom with seperate walkin shower with a rain shower head
* Nespresso Machine with as many pods as you wish
* Free minibar (but bring your own bottleopener or you will have to buy one like we did)
* Free wireless internet
* contemporary stylish decor
* adjustable air conditioning
* quiet

The staff were lovely and always willing to explain anything or just simply chat.
Room service menu isnt very varied and there is not really an ala carte option. Room service incurs a EUR 7.50 charge. Hence we didnt order because you can't order individual items.

We didnt get to use the spa area as we forgot our costumes, but other guests seemed to think it was fantastic.

While this does fit into my previous experience of 5* Hotels in europe, i honestly feel that 5 stars are given too freely in europe in comparison with what you get in the US and South Africa at a 5* establishment. I would rate this hotel as an upper 4*, but still great.

A few tips.
- dont forget the bottle opener - seriously!
- Trams are easy, get an Iamsterdam card and you can hop on the number 2 that leaves from centraal station right the way through the Dam, Leidseplein to vondelpark.
- hire a canal pedal bike (25% discount with iamasterdam) its awesome!
- stock up on your own snacks for those times of need ;)
- sit in the park and bicycle watch!

Amsterdam is a really beautiful clean city and so navigable by foot, bike, tram or boat. The Hotel Grand Amrath was a lovely place to come back to each day and we would definitely return.

1 Thank Pixie_0

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before, but have always consulted the website when I am planning a trip. After my stay at the Amrath, I am compelled to alert potential visitors that this is in no way a five star hotel. I guess it's ok when you consider the prices they offer for their rooms... but the condition of the hotel, the location, the amenities and, above all, the service is not of five star quality.
When I am sharing a hotel with a lot of guests who are just in Amsterdam to visit the red light district, get high in their room and run out for munchies, something is not right... the location stinks. If you can walk to your hotel from the train station, you know it is not in a good location.
The staff was poorly trained and I think overall, the hotel was understaffed. There were many times when my husband and I were in the lobby and no one was to be found.
Luckily, we were able to get a fan after a few nights bad sleep because the room was incredibly stuffy and hot- you can only change the room temp by 3 degrees in either direction.
Whoever doles out hotel stars needs to reconsider the Amrath's ranking. I know they have a "fitness center", a business center, pool, etc. but you only need to spend one night at this hotel to realize that the Amrath should not be listed in the top category of hotels in Amsterdam.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Husband, daughter and I stayed here for two nights mid-June. I got a good rate off of Hotwire ($129 + tax for double room, $105 + tax for single room, per night). This rate was only available for weeknights, not weekends.

I was really looking forward to staying here, based on the reviews. I guess, though, that I'm just not that big a fan of the architecture. Interesting building from the outside and in the lobby, bar and restaurant areas, but once you get into the hallways and the rooms themselves, nothing special. I personally thought the hallways looked a little depressing. Hard to find your way around, also. Rooms were average size for european hotels. Very nice bathrooms, except for the fact that there's not a real door between the room & bathroom, just a frosted glass panel, and no separate door for the toilet area. Not much on privacy :)
Beds were o.k., but not great (not a "heavenly" mattress, if you know what i mean, but o.k.). I wasn't that impressed with the free mini-bar either. There were one or two bottles each of small wine, beer and water bottles. As far as snacks, forget it. They provide one bag of stale peanuts (really stale!), and one very hard nougat bar. They really shouldn't advertise that they offer snacks in the mini-bar, with a selection like that. Free internet, but complicated system to get it. We had to call the front desk, and for some reason, they wouldn't give us a code over the phone - we had to wait for someone to show up with the code in writing. Which they didn't do for a half hour - which was too long for it to be useful in looking up where we were going that evening. The bar area was nice and cozy. Expensive of course, and the drinks weren't very good (gin & tonics). We didn't eat at the restaurant, so can't comment.
I will say, it was nice and quiet, so that was greatly appreciated. The staff was competent but not what I would call friendly (not unfriendly, either, just disinterested.)

As far as location, it's only five minutes from the train station, but being off to the east, it makes for a few minutes longer walk to central amsterdam attractions than some of the other central hotels.

I would say this is a very nice hotel to be able to get for under $150 a night, but I certainly wouldn't pay the regular rate for it, compared to other choices near by. (We stayed at the Marriott Renaissance one night, and really liked it much better). I suppose all the other factors (bed, amenities, service) are more important to me than the architecture, and this hotel just wasn't that outstanding in any of those categories.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Scotlady
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Great location near cruise dock if you are going or returning from a ship, quiet and away from the bustle of downtown but within easy walking distance to all the main areas. 20 min walk to museum area in the SW. If you are there in the summer, be aware that there is no air conditioning in the hotel and would recommend a higher floor so you can have a window open at night. The rooms are spacious, comfortable bed and all minibar items are included in your room rate. Great shower and deep bathtub in the modern looking bathroom. The cab to the airport is around 50Euro and takes around 30 minutes, so plan ahead. The concierge is very friendly, handing us a map of the city and pointing out best places to visit. He also sells museum tickets so you skip the 30 min wait in line at the museum.

1 Thank BeachinTraveler
Marchwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

My wife and I booked a two night break at the Grand Amrath as we wanted to splash out a bit, it's not often our young boys are looked after and we wanted to make the most of it. Got a really good deal on hotels.com, though check a few sites.

We seemed to be the luckiest people ever and were upgraded on arrival to the Tower Suite, an upgrade worth around £1700 a night! What a result. We can't really say much about the room we should have had, but the one (or rooms) we had was simply spectacular.

Whilst trying not to take all of this into account, it will certainly alter our view quite positively. The hotel itself is very convenient, close to everything including Central station. It's quite gothic, and obviously all newly decorated. The lobby is a bit confusing, but when you get used to it, it makes a change from the usual boring hotel entrances.

Staff were unfailingly polite, and the standard of cleanliness was excellent - we have both spent a lot of nights in hotels on holiday and business - this really was an experience we would like to repeat.

If you can afford to stay in the Tower suite then do so! It was by far the best hotel experience we have ever had. The views form the four (!) bathroom balconys were out of this world, the bed was incredible and the free mini bar is more than what you would expect.

Oh, and do use the wellness centre, very relaxing and worth the effort.

Finally, you can tell the hotel takes customer service seriously by their active promotion of Trip Adviser, even providing a free guide on how to leave feedback. Not something we have ever seen before, and a credit to the owners.

1 Thank PeteandMichelle
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

My Mum and I stayed at the Amrath and booked a Deluxe room with free mini bar. When we arrived we were surprised to be upgraded to a lovely suite. It was an exceptionally hot weekend so the free mini bar was an added welcome.It isn't much to add the extra for the free mini bar and we really did make the most of it- the Champagne was certainly drunk!
This hotel is fabulous. The style and design is really wonderful and I probably took as many pictures of the hotel as I did of Amsterdam itself! Its has a reaL Art Deco/Nouveau feel and everywhere you turn there is something beautiful, like the marble walls in the reception area an the old doors and lights.
I hate staying in large corporate/chain hotels and usually prefer to stay in smaller boutique hotels but on this occasion the Amrath caught my eye when booking and I wasn't disappointed. The Amrath has so much character. It is a 5 star hotel and maybe isn't the level that some people with high expectations who usually stay in the likes of Hilton,Radisson but the staff are very attentivethe concierge really helpful and the rooms are huge with lovely bathrooms!
I was really impressed.The only thing was that breakfast is a tad pricey but we just ate there one morning and found a fantastic bakery on the Woermostraat.
I really recommend this hotel for people who like hotels with something different to offer.My Mum and I had a lovely time!

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank chrissiemitch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

The Grand Hotel Amrâth Amsterdam is situated in the monumental Shipping House that was one of the first buildings to be built in Amsterdam and is Art Nouveau. Our room overlooked the canal with very high windows and wood lined walls. The contemporary poster bed with exquisite bed linens welcomed us each evening. The room was huge by any standards. It was thrilling to step into the large bathroom which was a glass box sitting inside a wood walled room which had been an office of the former office building. Our extremely modern bath was elevated with in the glass box overlooking the canal, all with a glassed open shower and elevated tub. Walking to our room was also an experience as the walls of the hallway was covered with the original marble walls and fixtures. If that were not enough...the service was fantastic! They had bikes right on the premises, which we rented very reasonably. Do not buy the buffet, but do get the French breakfast in the bar. The bar has windows and is open to the street so very comfortable for breakfast. The French breakfast was awesome! There is not really a close location with a good place to walk for breakfast. The location for museums, etc was just fine. The room was very quiet. If you do not like your room at first, ask to change rooms. You also can upgrade for a small amount. Just ask. They are very accommodating.

1 Thank Linda F