Although it was a little tricky to get to the hotel as there are roardworks at the moment (July 2010) when we did get to the front of it, the architecture is quite something else. Tall gothic building with gargoil statues on the side, next to beautiful tree-lined canal. Its quite close to centraal station and there is a direct route over a bridge to the gorgeous NieweMarkt area. Anyway, going up the red carpet into the hotel you find the concierge desk surrounded by marble walls. A quick check in with an upgrade from a deluxe to a superior room and through the maze of corridors we went. The room was lovely. I'll summerise for easy reading
* Big Room
* Soft White comfy bed
* huge windows
* Desk and seperate table and chairs
* Modern Marble bathroom with seperate walkin shower with a rain shower head
* Nespresso Machine with as many pods as you wish
* Free minibar (but bring your own bottleopener or you will have to buy one like we did)
* Free wireless internet
* contemporary stylish decor
* adjustable air conditioning
The staff were lovely and always willing to explain anything or just simply chat.
Room service menu isnt very varied and there is not really an ala carte option. Room service incurs a EUR 7.50 charge. Hence we didnt order because you can't order individual items.
We didnt get to use the spa area as we forgot our costumes, but other guests seemed to think it was fantastic.
While this does fit into my previous experience of 5* Hotels in europe, i honestly feel that 5 stars are given too freely in europe in comparison with what you get in the US and South Africa at a 5* establishment. I would rate this hotel as an upper 4*, but still great.
A few tips.
- dont forget the bottle opener - seriously!
- Trams are easy, get an Iamsterdam card and you can hop on the number 2 that leaves from centraal station right the way through the Dam, Leidseplein to vondelpark.
- hire a canal pedal bike (25% discount with iamasterdam) its awesome!
- stock up on your own snacks for those times of need ;)
- sit in the park and bicycle watch!
Amsterdam is a really beautiful clean city and so navigable by foot, bike, tram or boat. The Hotel Grand Amrath was a lovely place to come back to each day and we would definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam is a five-star deluxe hotel situated in the monumental Shipping House. You can find us on the Prins Hendrikkade in the city center at only 500m from Central Station and 1100m from Dam Square. We have 165 rooms and suites, offering complimentary wireless internet, free minibar with alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and free entrance to the Spa & Wellness center. Facilities furthermore include restaurant Seven Seas, meeting rooms and a bar/lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, EasyToBook, Agoda, Venere, Travelocity, Odigeo, getaroom.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.