“Beautiful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #48 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Columbia, SC
“Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

This really is a beautiful hotel in a great location. We had a beautiful view. The bed and linens were very comfortable. We did not have a laptop computer with us so we really enjoyed the business center with a printer attached. I needed to print boarding passes for our ryanair flight. It was more expensive than the hotels we normally book. It was Queen's Day and most hotels were booked. We really enjoyed our stay here though.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

2,078 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Holland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

We are dutch and we came to the hotel for a get away from the normal family life. I read the reviews but when we got there I was even more than happy we came. First of all I recomend to call the hotel directly for prices since it seemed like if you go via the websites you dont allways get a free room. We were greeted so nicely by a concierge by the name of Ben whom gave us an honest opinion on the restaurants in the area. (By the way we recomend the sea palace chinese restaurant oposite the hotel, you might have to wait for your food n it is noisy but it was the best chinese I had in Holland and big portions for the main courses), The receptionist Romy was very kind and attentive. The room decore was beautifull, the drinks were for free, a cofee maching in the room with my favorite tea (which the cleaning girl was happy to give us extra) and the bed,,,,what can I say - more comfortable than this you cant get. The spa is great - a swimming pool jacuzzi and 3 saunas (The steam room was not hot enough) In the evening and the morning we consulted the concierges again (sorry but dont remember the names) What can I say, It looks and feels the employees there love their job! and they love giving service with a smile - WE WILL SURELY COME AGAIN!!! Thanks for making this a night to remember!

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

All the staff was very helpful... check-in, baggage and guiding us around the hotel was great, as was the concierge in recommending and booking us an exquisite dinner at a nearby Italian restaurant. The Gothic architecture inside was beautiful; candle-lit breakfast was something different, with the buffet having a huge array of fresh and gourmet hot & cold food!!! The rooms were spacious and very new and well maintained. The unlimited free minibar was one of the best things after a tiresome day of touring. The wellness centre was spotless, the rooms & hotel were exceptionally clean. Service was so good... we woke up early from excitement of our trip, and the staff opened the wellness centre for us extra early at 3am, when it usually opens at 7am!!! Now that's service. We couldn't say anything better and we must thank the hotel for a wonderful, good value stay in luxury!!! P.S. I would come to Amsterdam just for the hotel, so flying KLM is a good excuse!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Amerath in February 2009 and we had a lovely stay. We are from the UK and so we flew to Schiphol Airport and then took the train to Amsterdam. We were pleased to find that the hotel was almost a stones throw from the station. It was a good location adjacent to a canal and within easy walking of the centre.

The exterior of the building is very character full, like a prop from Fritz Langs Metropolis and the interior is also a delight. There are the original elevators which are open at the front and which do not stop at floors, but because of health and safety you can’t use them, only watch them through the glass. There are modern elevators for those who do not want to use the outstanding open staircase at the front.

Our room (like the staircase) was a refreshing change from the usual small, poky rooms provided in Amsterdam. The room had a very high ceiling (almost another floor) and lovely floor to ceiling windows, which made it so light and fresh. The en suit was also spacious. We were also provided with a FREE mini bar, which was stocked daily and a very good real coffee machine.

Breakfasts were self help and well received and the Hotel contained a very nice bar. We did not eat here for any of our evening meals.

The staff were helpful and when I return to Amsterdam I will be sure to book into this place again. Arriving here was a pleasant surprise and we felt we received excellent value for our money. If you have an interest in architecture this place will suit you down to the ground.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

this is my second review of this hotel as my first was removed, why I don't know I only told the truth of my experience at this hotel. On arrival no doorman to assist with luggage and slow check in. The room was ok with high ceilings and a comfortable bed, the building is unique and oozes history from its previous use as a shipping office. Asked for room service one evening and was told no one was avaliable due to staff cut backs, you do not expect this in a 5 star hotel that says 24 hr room service

if you want a 5 star service look elsewhere

Kristiansand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

I stayed at this hotel, having read some favourable reviews, and I was far from disappointed.

The hotel is situated just minutes away from the central station, and was very easily accssible. The building itself is incredible, the former head office of a Duct shipping company, and it's done in a very ornate art deco style, and all over there are little reminders of the building's past, from the amazing lead glass dome in the stairway to the intact ticket counters in the hallways.

We were greeted by very friendly and helpful staff upon arrival, and shown to our room, which had an amazingly high ceiling, and was decorated in a very opulent style, with silk wallpapers, dark wood and black stone.
Being well above average height, I really appreciated the extra-long beds, which were probably the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in. Other room amenities included remote-controlled curtains, a Nespresso machine, a complimentary and well-stocked minibar, and the bathroom featured an actual, well-functioning hairdryer and Lanvin toiletries.

We were there for the Queen's birthday weekend, but there was no noise from the crowds whatsoever, which was quite impressive.

The hotel has a spa- complimentary for all guests, with an exercise room (with a very limited selection, however), a swimming pool, jacuzzi, three saunas and a steam bath, very nice after a long day of walking.

The restaurant served high-quality food at an astonishingly low price, the only thing I was less than impressed about, was the breakfast buffet. The food was fine, but I have seen far better slections at simpler hotels, and also at lower prices. If breakfast wasn't included in the rate, I probably would have gone some other place for it.

All in all, the stay was extremely enjoyable, and I would stay there again any time!

• Stayed May 2010
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

The hotel is in a great location, beds are as comfortable as any hotel I have visited. We used the trams to visit both the Rijks and the VanGough museums and the next day walked the areas between the museums and the hotel.
The Concierge caught us before we left the hotel and advised us to buy the museum tickets from him for the same price as the museum - this allowed us to bypass long lines of folks waiting in the rain to purchase tickets. (Very good service)
We ate at Seasons resaurant which is rated #1 by Trip Advisor and found it to be as good as it is represented. We also ate at the Sea Palace and found it acceptable but would rather go back to Seasons this evening.
I would recomend that you skip the hotel breakfast it is very expensive and you can get breakfast at many street cafes for 1/4 the price.
I used the hotel wireless internet the entire trip and found it very fast and easy to connect.
All of the staff we have interacted with have been extremely helpful and there is no doubt that when we return to Amsterdam we wlll stay at this hotel.
Bob

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam? Share your experiences!