“One of the best hotels I've stayed in.” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotels.com Booking.com
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, Amsterdam 1011 AK, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #41 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
Brooklyn
“One of the best hotels I've stayed in.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

This is hands down one of the best hotels I've stayed in. I mention this because I'm surprised that anyone would rate this less than four stars baring some glaring oversight on the part of the hotel staff. I've stayed in places from a Ritz Carltons to a hostel with shared rooms, so I have a pretty wide perspective here.

First, a note to my fellow American travelers. Yes, you may find the rooms at the Grand Amrath a little small, but do realize that this is typical for Europe. Ergo, I recommend suspending some expectations that your stay in beautiful Amsterdam at the Grand Amrath will be just as it would be at a comparable hotel in America. I especially would like to point out the irony of a previous commenter from New York City complaining that the closets are too small. You cannot fault a hotel for being representative of a culture on the whole. Just . . . relax.

So again I would like to say that this is one of the best hotels I've stayed in. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially the concierge. My stay was in August, which I learned during my stay was the month that the majority of Amsterdam closes up shop and goes on holiday. Therefore the hotel therefore was very quiet. But no bother, my partner and I went with the flow and adjusted our plans according and still managed to have a wonderful time.

My partner and I stayed on the ground floor just next to the bar and we had a view of the canal. Again, it was a quiet room. The heavy curtains, when pulled closed, blocked out any sunlight -- so well that in the absence of any sun, we accidentally slept in to 11 am. No worries, we were on vacation after all.

The free minibar was a welcomed bonus and was restocked daily. Two other highlights were the bed and the shower. The first was incredibly plush and we had three relaxing nights worth of sleep. The second, the shower, was one of those rain shower heads, which is liken to taking a shower in a waterfall. Since Europe is not known for its showers with heavy water pressure, this was an unexpected extra frill.

I went to bar one night for an after dinner drink, which was lovely, but did not eat any of the food at the Grand Amrath, so I cannot speak for that. But I should point out that if anyone would find fault with the food, do keep in mind that one doesn't usually go to a hotel for the food. And while I ate well in Amsterdam, it's a city that's not know for its cuisine either.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

2,076 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Zürich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

To make a long story short....this hotel shoud be ranked around 3 stars. As soon as I checked into my room, I noticed how cold it was in there. The had to put one of those roll-in radiators in my room after I complained three times. Keep in mind, I booked the room about 1.5 months in advance, so it´s not like they didn´t know I was comming They screwed up my room service order on two seperate occasions, and then I had to listen to some back talk from a 20 year old bell boy. The jacuzzi ladder was broken on a very dangerous place and apparently it´s been like that for a while. Towels laying around everywhere in the spa. I think somebody is down there to clean like every 5-6 hours, when they should have a full-time spa staff. I had to wait over 30 min for a taxi one day. Don´t forget that this hotel is on a main road...they just didn´t want to call another taxi company or send someone on the street to fetch one for me. I forgot to mention that I was staying there over the New Years and the staff thought they were on vacation too. Basically this hotel sucks. The building is beautiful but the staff is terrible. The manager took the room service charges off my bill but common...I wouldn´t be staying at a 5 star hotel if all I wanted is a free meal. Do yourself and stay at another hotel.....

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
NorthEastEngland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

stayed 2 nights in Feb 2010 for the first time, and certainly made a good choice.
check in staff very friendly and such a beautiful building kept true to its heritage.
we were given an upgrade which made our valentines trip even more special.
room could not have been better, my request for flowers in room was met, much appreciation for that. well stocked free minibar replenished daily and Nespresso machine also, very nice touches. some reviews do not consider this hotel to be 5 star, but they must not understand the definition, this hotel certainly meets all 5 star criteria.
and if it is your thing the wellness centre with good size pool, saunas, steam room and jacuzzi plus lounging area is especially welcoming during a winter stay in this city.
facilities were all first class. one small thing for me, the extract above shower was quite loud/noticable in room, staff inspected and were happy to move us should we wished, but for such a short stay we kept our otherwise perfect first floor room.
look forward to returning to this hotel in the future, highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a Valentines weekend away in Amsterdam having stayed at the Grand Amrath. It was absolutely fabulous, the staff were all amazing and nothing, absolutely nothing was to much trouble. Our complimentary mini bar was a very much appreciated touch and definately added to the whole experience and is well worth booking should you have the option. The spa is to die for and all the facilities definately deserve the 5 star rating.
If you have booked this hotel you will not be disappointed. My husband and I have and always do stay at 5 star and above hotels and this certailnly met the standards we have.
You absolutely get what you pay for with this hotel, and it is definately worth every penny we payed and we will have no hesitation, booking this hotel again not if but when we visit amsterdam again.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

Stayed at the Amrath for an extended weekend and all in all found it to be a very nice hotel. It's location is excellent - it literaly takes 5 minutes to walk there from Central Station and you are so centrally located that it's hard to find anything better. At the same time it's in a fairly quiet part of the city. The hotel architecture is fantastic and a sight in itself. The reception service was definitely 5 star, however the concierge was never around when needed. Breakfast was at EUR 25 pretty standard and boring and the service there somewhat less than what could be expected. The room was 5 star eqiuipped (complementary minibar - to be recommended!) all though somewhat on the small side.
All in all I was satisfied with my stay and would surely stay there again next time I visit Amsterdam - provided I can get a good deal on the room as I did this time!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
BURNHAM, SLOUGH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

Having been to many 5*hotels in my life, my instant impression of the Grand Hotel Amrath was not one that made me smile, in fact I felt a bit lost. I was looking for bright lights and a grand reception with a sumptuous marble floor and a counter full of eager check in staff, but this as not to be. After going up the few steps to the hotel lobby walking on some red carpet that needs a clean I entered the lobby with my partner. The lobby was dark with lights which were dim, like you were taken back to the old days. On my right was a small desk for the concierge. After about 20 seconds, Roland the concierge emerged. He directed us to my left to another room where there was a desk where two ladies were sat – this was check in. Roland supervised our check and advised us that we had been upgraded to a four poster room. He also advised us that he had prepared our tours and everything was ready. I had prearranged the tours with the concierge via e-mail from England as we only had two nights in Amsterdam.

Roland took us to our room through the “school” like corridors and up in a vintage elevator to the first floor where we were given a lovely 4 poster bedroom with a very nice bath room. My only negative comment about the bathroom would be that the shower door and tolilet were too close too each other as the door could not open fully as the toilet was opposite. In my e-mails I had asked Roland to arrange for a fresh cream sponge cake with fruit to be provided on arrival for our anniversary. It was in the room on arrival but turned out to be a fruit tart. I did comment on this the next day – feeling very guilty about doing so as Roland had been brilliant. Roland noted our comments. About two hours later, a knock at the door said “room service”, I opened the door to find that Otto, the other concierge had bought a fantastic chocolate mouse cake to compensate for our disappointment.

The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, in any hotel. The concierge service was very caring and attentive. Breakfast was expensive at 25 Euros each. Dinner at the Seven Seas was lovely. I still maintain that the hotel is a bit dark overall and the doors are very heavy. I don’t think this hotel is suited to wheelchair users due to the heavy doors. Whether you like this hotel or not will depend on your taste, I like glamorous, bright and luxurious. This hotel is luxurious in its own way. As much as I want to give it five stars, I can only give it four, but I have to add a caveat; you wont be disappointed with this hotel. Your eyes just need to get accustomed to it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

From the moment we walked in the door the staff was extremely helpful and took good care of us. Nice rooms with a high ceiling. Free minibar (or included in the price) is a very good thing and when the staff also came by every night to check if we had all we needed it just added to the feeling that we made the best hotel decision for our weekend in Amsterdam :)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam? Share your experiences!