“Elegant comfort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #41 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Philadelphia, PA
“Elegant comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hotel Amrath for 5 nights in October. The hotel itself is beautiful, with dark woodwork and art deco lighting and furniture throughout. Our room was small but impeccably clean and comfortable, with a king-size bed, nice seating area, and, best of all, a large, comfortable soaking tub. They provided Lanvin toiletries (soap, shampoo, lotion, and even a fizzy bath cube) and plenty of soft towels. In addition, there was a great Nespresso coffee maker that made rich, flavorful espresso--and the mini bar was fully stocked and included in the price of the room. The weather was cold and rainy for most of our stay, so it was always a relief to return to our warm, comfortable room. Centrally located right by the train station, with friendly, helpful staff. We had a drink in the restaurant overlooking the canal--this is a very elegant, classy, well-run establishment.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Amsterdam. We stayed at the Grand Amrath for 3 nights. The hotel is an old shipping house and has so many historic charms throughout. The bellman took us on a "tour" on the way to our room. We appreciated the information, he told us some great tidbits about the building. Our room was amazing! The highest ceilings I have seen in a hotel! European bathroom, updated but small. The free mini bar was great, especially since bottled water is so expensive. The only complaint about the room was that the coffee maker was filthy! Other than that the accomadations were very comfortable and really very nice. The service overall was great, except one night we decided to order room service about 1/2 hour after they switched to their "late night" menu. We ordered a hamburger, which was on the menu, but were told that they only had pasta bolognase. The next night we tried again and were told they only had pizza. Why have a menu if you are only going to have one item a night? Otherwise, room service was not bad and pretty timely.
Overall, our stay here was very pleasent. The service was great and the unique building was a nice surprise.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

the location and the spa was perfect , but the only missing thing is the walls of the rooms were so tasteless that we couldn't feel comfortable and couldn't breathe. Except the rooms everything was wonderful especially the staff was incredibly helpful and friendly...

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I only have one bad thing to say about this hotel and that is regarding the authorisation charge. As i do not have a credit card i always hand over my bank card for authorisation on arrival. Now usually at a hotel a charge would come off your card ONLY if you ordered any extras during your stay or wrecked your room! Not at Amrath. 100Euro's per night is their standard authorisation charge. Now this is fine if you have a credit card to use as the pending charge will not affect your account but if you do not have a credit card, you will either be forced to hand over 100euro's cash each day you stay OR your bank account will be charged 100euro's. this mucked up all my direct debits for the month and i have only just managed to have all the charges taken off my account! just be aware of these charges as the lovely lady that checked us in never told us.

anyway onto the hotel! It is by far the most beautiful 5star hotel i have EVER stayed in. I cannot decide what was the best feature though!
You have the free minibar, stocked daily (you may have to ask for this to be done occasionally!)
Also the free use of health suite, note the jacuzzi is NOT a hot tub so it is only pool temp.

As my partner and i both smoke we emailed the hotel in advance to ask for a smoking room which was granted. Now we were a bit worried as we thought we might end up with an old looking unfurnished room but that was definately NOT the case.

Our room was huge and beautifully decorated with a kingsize bed. The curtains were electronic as they reached all the way from the floor to the high ceiling! Not much storage space but i usually live out a suitcase when i travel anyway! We had a very deep bath with handheld shower head, plus a seperate shower cubical with both a waterfall shower head (amazing!) and normal handheld one. Double marble sinks and brand name toilletries. Fresh towels were supplied each day when the room was cleaned. Which always makes the stay more enjoyable! The only bad thing about the room was the noise, we were facing onto the main street with alot of traffic so it could be noisy at times but that is no fault of the hotel. I would recommend paying extra for a canal view if you are a light sleeper.

The hotel is in a brillant location, easy to walk to Dam square and most other main attractions. Only minutes from the train station, although we took a taxi from the airport which costs around 45euros (depending on the driver - haggle your way to a better price!)

I urge that everybody visiting amsterdam goes to Cafe Bern for their amazing Cheese & Meat fondue....its one of the best meals i have ever had and the staff were lovely!

Oh before i forget, if you stay at Amrath you must take time to have a walk around the hotel as it is absolutely stunning and there is so much more to see than your room. Take the lift to the top floor and you can go out onto the roof for an amazing view, i will hopefully be able to add pictures of the view to this review soon!

Thanks to all the staff at Amrath for making our stay as enjoyable as possible and keep up the good work!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Alicante, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

The hotel an old transformed boathouse, has a great interior architecture... So are the rooms as well! You sometimes forget you're walking through a hotel, it offers an unusual atmosphere which you hardly find in other hotels. Breakfast was really, really nice! Minibar was free of charge! Even if you are in the city center, the hotel has a relaxing atmosphere!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

Myself and my husband came back from a weekend in freezing and pouring rain Amsterdam just yesterday. Nevertheless I feel it is my pleasure and obligation to rate this stunning hotel that we have had a chance to stay at. Personay, I rely on opinions that I find on this website greatly, therefore I thought it would be in good manner to spare a few minutes on writing this review.
The hotel both from the outside and the very inside has a great deal of character, the rooms are justr incredible, I would even say very luxorious as per my standarts. In the 4m tall room we were surprised to have found this hig tech espresso machine, automatic courtains, both shower and bath, and many others. Fair enough the hotel is not in the Dam Square, the main square, but that is because the hotel is simply too vast in size, on top it is minutes away from the Central Station, which takes you straight to the airport. I really dont know what to say other that I would definitely go back and I promise you, there is no way you will be disappointed. And believe me, I am a very fussy traveller.

As per Amsterdam , I was slightly disappointed as it turned out to be another big metropoly!!! Fair enough, there are some interesting aspects to it! Coffee shops and sex shows etc, which I both tried and attended. Not so keen on the Amsterdam, still would go back just to stay in Amrath Hotel

Also, I cam asure you that photos of the rooms that I ve found on both Expedfia and the website genuinely reflect the rooms...that s always a good thing

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

Absolute pleasure to stay in. The best value for money I have ever paid in Europe. All the following was included in the hotel rate:
-Free Internet
-Free Minibar!! (restocked daily with 2 of each: beer, bacardi, scotch, coca cola, sparkling and regular water, coffee, chocolate and lots more). This was a first for me.
-Health club and pool.
I wont be staying anywhere else in Amsterdam. Large rooms too.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam? Share your experiences!