“Unique, modern and beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #42 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
LA
“Unique, modern and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

We loved this hotel. We had a deluxe double - one level up from basic, can't remember exactly what it was called. Our room was totally beautiful with a great view of the canal. We didn't bring our toddler but if we had, the room had a nice feature of a wooden door between us and the large hallway to the bathroom. So, we would have put his crib in that hallway and it would have provided us with almost a suite with two rooms so we could put him to bed before us. Another small note to those sharing rooms - at least in our room there was that wooden door but the door to the bathroom itself was a very stylish frosted glass door that didn't seal. The bathroom was quite long so it may not be an issue, but if you are very uncomfortable with the potential of bathroom noises, you might want to ask whether your room will have a partition door between the bathroom and the bed section.

I was traveling for business but brought my husband for some QT as well, and it fit the bill perfectly on both counts. Free wireless worked great in the room and the business center let me print something without a problem. Free minibar was a nice perk with plenty of water, chocolate bar etc. The hotel is unique - absolutely incredible architecture and rooms were very stylishly appointed. We agreed this was probably the most beautiful hotel we have ever stayed in, and we've stayed in some really nice ones around the world. It doesn't have the wonderful but bland look of a starwood, rather its the same modern style but using really interesting wall and curtain fabrics, very high ceilings, etc. The hotel is not for those who want the four seasons style hotel with a huge, elegant marble lobby, 7 high speed elevators and all that. Rather, it is luxury in a very special, boutique hotel style with a very small but personal lobby, one quaint yet very functional elevator, etc. The breakfast was wonderful with a nice assortment of pastries, cold cuts, eggs, cereals, juices, etc. Everything has wonderful style at this hotel, down to the modern nouveau white china. We even saw a celeb at breakfast! The location is good, with plenty of nice restaurants in easy walking distance. It is a bit across town from some of the museums but not too far, and the trams at the central station are very close so these make getting anywhere easy (they are located across a bridge so are just a touch far if you are handicapped or have trouble walking). Also if you take any day trips out of the city, which we did, this was very convenient. And I highly recommend taking the train from the airport to central station, which saves you about $75 in cab fare. When you walk to the hotel, take a left out of the train station, staying on that side of the street and then cross a later bridge, I think its the third bridge - don't cross the first bridge right away and then walk left because it is a longer diagonal. With suitcases this was a bit annoying. Overall, I highly recommend this hotel and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Minusio, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

I've been at the Amrath Hotel in Amsterdam for the first time in May attending a big event. I know the city very well and I've been in many 5 star Hotel. For the first time I choosed the Amrath in Amsterdam. My stay was simply perfect. The location is very convenient between the city center and the main station. The rooms are really very clean and provide all possible amenities. The staff is very familiar and the Breakfast complete. For sure I will choose this Hotel again by my next trip to Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

i have been staying in this hotel several times already.excelent staff and helpful.very good location.the bed rooms are very nice.defenatly i will recomend this hotel for any one who goes to Amsterdam.especially for bisiness people,the hotel offers great value.i will stay for sure there any time i go back to Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2009
Lindsay, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

We stayed 5 nights. Couple in their early 50's

Location: you can walk from Central station and to most other tourist locations. Also close to trams and trains for other travel.

Room: I emailed a head of time to request quiet room as I am a light sleeper and asked for canal veiw. All my requests were granted and we had room 409 over looking the canal and the quieted room I have ever slept in. The bed was so comfortable. Mini bar, huge bathtub and separate shower, 32 " flat screen tv, robes, slippers, safe. There was nothing at all I could fault the room for it was wonderful. We did get lost finding our room one night but you can blame the coffeshop for that.

Reception: I have to agree that there was no door man to help with luggage when we arrived and there are some steps to deal with. We did have help leaving. There is no real lobby but fron desk is close by and we were atttended to quickly.

Resturant: We did not eat here as to expensive. The resturant looked empty most times we went by and wondered why they would not just change their menu and make it a place most quests would also eat there as well, I think they could make money if they did this. There a lots of dining options in the area.

Wellness Centre: We went one evening and enjoyed the pool. The hot tub we did not like and had a broken ladder to get into the tub. The sauna area was nice as well. Very nice area.

Overall: The quietest place I have ever stayed and the best sleep I have ever had in a hotel. Mini bar was great add on. Just need someone at front door to help with luggage.

Price: unbeatable on hotwire

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

I stayed with my mum in the Grand Hotel Amrath for 3 nights. We couldn't have enjoyed our stay more!!
The beds and feather duvets are so comfortable (which is great after walking round Amsterdam all day!) with 3 pillows to choose from.
Mini-bar re-stocked every day which was very useful and contained red&white wine, X2 diet&normal coke, X2 sprite, X2 still&fizzy water, tonic water, chocolate bar, plus vodka/gin/wisky minis. We could also use the fridge for our own food/drink as it is fairly big.
The wardrobe is quite small and the hanging area is not long enough for full-length dresses or even long skirts.
The hotel is maze-like but lots of signs so you don't get too lost!
The staff were so helpful with our questions about the attractions in Amsterdam and checked opening times etc. for us. In the room they also supply a pop-up map to take with you, which was invaluable to us as it shows were the hotel is in comparison to everything else! The hotel location is close to the central train station (about 2 mins walk) which is were all the trams can be caught from; and the Dam square is about 7 mins walking distance away - and probably about the same time if you wait and catch a tram.
If you have time - I would strongly advise to take an hour train journey (costs about 17 euros return) to the Hauge (Haag) to visit the Mauritshuis - This is the BEST gallery I have been to, and it is so much quieter than the Galleries in Amsterdam. It holds works such as Vermeer's - 'Girl with the pearl earring' and 'Delft Landscape' ; plus Rembrant's - 'self portrait' (believed to be his last before his death)

• Stayed August 2009
canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

The best part of the hotel is definitely the size of the rooms, the high high ceilings, the canal view and central location. I was lucky enough to get the good concierge (tall man, dark hair) who spent extra time to jokingly show me around the facilities. Unfortunately, the situation with doormen was very substandard. Arriving one had to enter the hotel looking for someone to assist with baggage, with parking, everything along those lines. The hotel itself also doesnt really have a lobby to meet people in, so we had to use the bar. Its a bit of a noncentralised maze in there which is part of the character of the old building, but things would have been so much better if there were attentive, always at hand doormen .. AT THE DOOR. Or even keeping an eye on it. I couldnt even find them when I went inside and had to inquire at reception, and even then we were waiting ten minutes. More staff needed in that area for certain, it would have made the entire stay much smoother. The high speed internet was really not high speed at all, it went at a snails pace! Everything else was fantastic, they brought us a dvd player, ironing board, etc as soon as we asked. Really stellar location to explore from but very awkward to arrive and leave especially if you needed a hand with your luggage. I loved the hotel but for convenience's sake, I am picking a different one next time, but part of that is a desire to have a slightly more modern one.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

Ok...I know some of you have issues with the lack of AC, I thought I would too because I am very hot natured, but in late July it was very comfortable as long as you keep your windows open. One day it was down right cold. No screens on the window shouldn't stop you because I believe there has never been a bug in Amsterdam. In fact it is hard to find a negative thing to say about the city at all. As for comments on a rude staff; you must have been in a bad mood and projecting, because the Dutch are the nicest and most accommodating people on Earth. We didn't have any problems to complain about but we did have them find us new reservations on short notice (1 day) and cancel our old ones. We'd ask for help on routes through the city, purchasing tickets for several things, and their personal suggestions just about everyday and were always happy with the service. The free minibar was restocked fully everyday, no delays in cleaning or restocking. Housekeeping accidentally took the insurance card we used to keep the master suite power on (your power goes off when you take your rm key out of a holder, but any card will prevent this), but before we could call too complain,there was a knock and a very apologetic maid. I hate room service prices and theirs are on par for Europe, but the portion of the hamburger was huge and it was more like a large steak on a wonderful bun. Loved the espresso machine!

The room was just the feeling we wanted to accompany our stay, and the hotel is a bit spooky in the best of ways. We stayed on the top floor canal side and it was the least spectacular room offered. It is hard for me to write that because it was very spectacular. The room, although one of their smallest, was huge and felt like a suit with sitting area that was never used because we had two large window ledges that became the preferred seating due to the beautiful view. We stayed at the Omni Chicago in a corner suite on the way home and payed more , but it felt no bigger and was much less attractive. Not to mention they left some of our luggage in a taxi and argued with us about our reservations. Comparing the two,the omni in chicago looks like a motel 6 and The Grand Amrath is in a class all it's own. I believe they live up to their name because everything was truly grand, much like the city itself.

If you don't know, Amsterdam has so much culture and art to offer (Rembrandt and Van Gough's collections, Anne Frank and Rembrandt's homes, and Holland itself has a very rich and interesting history, not to mention I am a fan of the naughtier sides of the city ). In fact it is our favorite European city. We prefer the views, the people, and the art. It is much nicer to visit the personal collections of different artists than to try and cram the Louvre into a schedule. And, the smells are much more pleasant! I don't mean the smoke, which btw is not in your face and neither is the sex. If you aren't into those things, don't let their existence stop you from visiting. You can avoid those aspects easily as long as you don't go looking for them. Anyway, the city smells nice, unlike Paris. We find Amsterdam ridiculously superior to Paris!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam? Share your experiences!