“We loved this hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #43 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Kew Gardens, NY
“We loved this hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed in Amsterdam during Easter week. We chose the Amrath based on the mainly excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. We wanted a really nice hotel, centrally located, with a swimming pool. The Amrath met all these requirements. We arrived from the U.S. in the morning, about 9 a.m. We were taken care of immediately. We were offered a room on the canal side but were told it wouldn't be available until later in the afternoon, so we opted instead for a room facing the front of the hotel. We were on the top floor, and noise was not a problem at all, either from the street or from the corridor. In fact, this hotel was the quietest we have ever stayed in. We never heard any noise whatsoever from the hallways.

Any problems we had were immediately taken care of. On Easter Sunday, for example, the room hadn't been cleaned when we returned at 5 p.m. We called to let them know, and the maid came up in about ten minutes, whereupon we went down to the pool and relaxed for about an hour or so. When we returned to the room, it had been cleaned.

I'm writing this letter now, because I'm shocked at the negative reviews of this hotel. We loved the expresso coffee maker, the free mini bar, the pool and spa, and unlimited towels. The hotel is across the road from the Central Station and all the trams begin and end there, making it very easy to get around and find your way back later.

We loved Amsterdam, and if we ever return, we would definitely stay at the Amrath.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

2,033 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

We ended up booking this hotel on hotwire the night before our trip. I was so nervous as I have had bad hotwire experiences. 5 Star for $126 a night. WOW! We were so thrilled with the results! This hotel was great! The room was very sexy with 18 foot ceiling, an incredible bed, awesome bathroom with a bath big enough for two and...a FREE minibar! After a late night in Amsterdam we could not wait to get back to the room!!!!

The only problem...and someone else had mentioned this in their review...you can hear through the doors. So in the morning, I was disturbed numerous times by the sound of the housekeeping staff chatting and cleaning. It was very annoying.

But for $126 and such a fabulous room...I could not bring myself to complain to the management! The free minibar kept me satisfied!

NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

We stayed at the Amrath for 1 week from 06/21 through 06/27, the last 4 days I had my elderly father from another country joining us. We arrive from NYC on an early AM flight (7AM) but the hotel was unable to find us a room until 11AM, despite of being informed ahead of time (1 month) of the early arrival. The breakfast is ridiculously expensive and nothing to brag about, you may as well walk 3 blocks to the flea market where In De Waag is and get breakfast for 7-10 euros at one of the local cafes. Our room was well appointed, had a mini lobby and a double door, my father's was simple and he was often bothered by the early AM/late night noise from the corridors. The cleaning was efficient but always forgetting something, if not the toilet paper then the towels, if not the towels then the water in the minibar. The hotel's lobby is mediocre at its best, staff is polite but cold. The room service works on/off -one time they tried to explain that being to busy during the day they had no food left for the night, yet in 2 hours they served a full breakfast cooked on the premises. The minibar is supposedly stocked daily with water, sodas, beers, liquor, peanuts, nougat bar. Well, it only happened every other day, something was always missing. Perhaps if it wouldn't be free, they would stock it twice daily. The concierge is efficient and polite yet hurried at times due to being understaffed. The rooms facing the main avenue are noisy and the view is disappointing-construction site across the street and heavy traffic, the one facing the inner yard are quiet yet exposed to corridor noise and have no view, the ones facing the canal are lovely, quiet all the way and with a relaxing view. The amenities are clean, and the bar at the entrance is chic but pricey. The Seven Seas restaurant may seem steep in the beginning but after you see the prices elsewhere it is not that bad. The food, however, is average, nothing to write home about. Just over the second bridge over the canal above mentioned, in the corner, there is a lovely cafe with a view, open from 12 till midnight, excellent beer on tap-Gulpener, the best in my humble opinion, varied and nice crowd, with very decent prices for a quick bite. Around that corner, there is an Italian restaurant, Cuccina Italiana Oggi, that may be the best deal in town in terms of Italian food, large enough compared with other Italian restaurants, food priced OK for Amsterdam, the wine list decent -stick with the Cannonau di Sardegna, you won't regret it, and you cannot go wrong with the ravioli with porcinni mushrooms. Other Italian restaurants like Pasta e Basta (their staff is really taking turns to sing, it's 90% pop and Broadway, and only 10% opera, but those 10% can be pretty damn fine) or Toscaninni are show-offs, nothing substantial in food quality over Cuccina Oggi. The Red Light district is very close, 2-3 blocks, from the hotel and you pass through their Chinatown before reaching the light, err, Red Light. In Chinatown your best net would be to eat at the New King restaurant, fabulous dumplings! The city is very walkable, don't worry about the cars, they wont run you over, but the bicycles will!! If you want in on a little secret, well, not really a secret since I found it in a travel book, cross over the Amstel and head south towards two of the trendiest neighborhoods devoid of so many canals and heavy traffic, with large streets, nice boutiques and restaurants, two areas that resembles a healthy mix of SoHo, Greenwich Village and Montmartre (a minute mix though) more than anything I've seen, those would be on Beethovenstraat and Cornelis Schuytstraat. The highly rated restaurant De Belhammel has a very goodf chef but deficient climate-control and it can get really noisy. You may also enjoy Lucius (seafood) and November (French fare, well sort of, across the street from Lucius), unless, of course, you prefer to dine on a canal then indoors. One last tip: you must, and I mean you must, try the herring or the smoked herring or smoked eel sandwiches sold at a small joint across the street from the Flower Market just the way the Dutch do: with chopped onions and pickles. You'll end up having 2 most likely, then a couple of pints of beer. If you look for supermarkets they are called Albert Heijn, ATM's can be sparse, make sure you have enough cash with you as the closest ATM to the hotel is in Central Station. AMEX cards are widely accepted. Have fun, and don't forget that the Amrath is not really a 5-star hotel but a 4-star with glitches. It is close to the Central Station if a 10 min walk is close for you. I'll have 3 trains every hour departing to the airport and back. Proost!

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for one “special” night for our anniversary during a tour of the Netherlands. My wife and I could not have been happier with our luck. The view of the city and canal was priceless and really gave us a better appreciation of Amsterdam as a whole. The service was also 5-star. We got room service which was excellent in quality and reasonable in price. That is coupled with an outstanding complimentary full mini-bar which we enjoyed to our hearts content. The only problem came with our room temperature. We stayed on a relatively hot day and our room's air conditioner was not working well. After merely voicing a concern to a random stafff member (I refrain from calling it a complaint because I literally only said "it is hot in my room") we were upgraded to a juinor suite. The move reflected the managers concern as well as their attention to the needs of their guests. We secured the room at a discount rate which made the value much greater but even at the hotels standard rate, it would have been a wonderful hotel experience.

Key West
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Just finished 4 nights and the hotel is very nice. In a great building with many lovely details. The room was very nice. Good size with oversized bathroom, full bath and shower. Very high ceilings and a wall of windows. If you pay extra for a city view, be sure to ask for a room facing the canal. The view is much nicer rather then the rooms facing the busy street.

One issue was the service was not up to the 5 star rating. While the staff was friendly and accomodating, there seemed to only be a few on call and if it is busy, you will not be helped. I also ordered room service one evening, and the next day, the tray was never removed from the room, even after cleaning and a turn down service, the tray was still on the floor in the corner of the room.

I got a great rate, so this was no problem and I do highly recommend the hotel. I think, however, I would not have been so happy if I was paying the advertised rack rate of 400 Euro plus per night. My rate was less then half of this.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in June. Let me start by the good things about this hotel and I will then indicate why I feel this is not a 5 star hotel. First, they have the most comfortable beds. The hotel is near major sites (Ann Frank house, red light district, china town, etc..). The hotel has a lot of character to it and is one of the stays that will stay in your memory. The hotel looks and feels like a war castle. The rooms are very huge and almost feels like staying at a small apartment. The room has a huge walk in area with the bathroom door access and another door that leads in the room. And there is a complemetery mini bar in the room (soda, juice, alcohol). We did not use the pool/spa, but walked in and it really looks nice.
Now, let me talk about the bad things and why I think this is not a 5 star hotel. This not a luxery hotel. The chair in the lobby are very old, doors, windows are old with no screens. It was really hot when we stayed there and the hotel does not have air conditioning. They brough us a small old fan in the room, but what kind of 5 star hotel does not have air conditioning? So, be prepared if you stay there in summer time. The other disapointing thing was the staff. Maybe this is a dutch culture, here is how I would describe them: they are nice to you, but not very friendly. They defenitly do not cater to you like 5 star hotels in U.S. Other dissapoinments, NO pay per view movies, you can get a DVD player for free at the lobby, but you have to bring your own movies :). I was also disapointed in the room service, I called around 9 PM and they had run out on all the 4 food items on the menu. I could only order salad. I was not impressed by the cleanliness of the hotel either. Lots of stains in the bathroom and furnuture in the room. Overall, I do not give them 5 stars for the negetive reasons I mentioned. I would stay in this hotel again for a good price and NOT in summer.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

The look of this hotel's public spaces are beautiful inside and out. The rooms are very good as well. The location of the hotel was not as good as I thought it would be, but it was not bad either. It is across from Central Station but far off to the left. It is a bout a 8 minute walk from the station even though it appears to be right across from the street. It took about 15 minutes to walk to Dam Square. It is a very long 25-30 minutes to walk to the Liedsplein. There definitely are plenty of hotels that are better located then this one.
Overall the hotel itself was great. No problems with the room or the public spaces, however there are a couple of things to point out.

Breakfast was ridiculously expensive.
Check in and Check out were very slow, and I arrived from NYC on an overnight flight at 8:00AM, and I could not get a room until 3:00PM. I don't fault them for this, but anyone coming on an overnight flight, don't plan to get any rest until the afternoon.
I would definitely recommend this hotel if the price is reasonable like mine was.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam? Share your experiences!