“Amazing Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #55 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
Los Angeles
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for one “special” night for our anniversary during a tour of the Netherlands. My wife and I could not have been happier with our luck. The view of the city and canal was priceless and really gave us a better appreciation of Amsterdam as a whole. The service was also 5-star. We got room service which was excellent in quality and reasonable in price. That is coupled with an outstanding complimentary full mini-bar which we enjoyed to our hearts content. The only problem came with our room temperature. We stayed on a relatively hot day and our room's air conditioner was not working well. After merely voicing a concern to a random stafff member (I refrain from calling it a complaint because I literally only said "it is hot in my room") we were upgraded to a juinor suite. The move reflected the managers concern as well as their attention to the needs of their guests. We secured the room at a discount rate which made the value much greater but even at the hotels standard rate, it would have been a wonderful hotel experience.

1 Thank bailiejmLosAngeles

Key West
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Just finished 4 nights and the hotel is very nice. In a great building with many lovely details. The room was very nice. Good size with oversized bathroom, full bath and shower. Very high ceilings and a wall of windows. If you pay extra for a city view, be sure to ask for a room facing the canal. The view is much nicer rather then the rooms facing the busy street.

One issue was the service was not up to the 5 star rating. While the staff was friendly and accomodating, there seemed to only be a few on call and if it is busy, you will not be helped. I also ordered room service one evening, and the next day, the tray was never removed from the room, even after cleaning and a turn down service, the tray was still on the floor in the corner of the room.

I got a great rate, so this was no problem and I do highly recommend the hotel. I think, however, I would not have been so happy if I was paying the advertised rack rate of 400 Euro plus per night. My rate was less then half of this.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank SDT
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in June. Let me start by the good things about this hotel and I will then indicate why I feel this is not a 5 star hotel. First, they have the most comfortable beds. The hotel is near major sites (Ann Frank house, red light district, china town, etc..). The hotel has a lot of character to it and is one of the stays that will stay in your memory. The hotel looks and feels like a war castle. The rooms are very huge and almost feels like staying at a small apartment. The room has a huge walk in area with the bathroom door access and another door that leads in the room. And there is a complemetery mini bar in the room (soda, juice, alcohol). We did not use the pool/spa, but walked in and it really looks nice.
Now, let me talk about the bad things and why I think this is not a 5 star hotel. This not a luxery hotel. The chair in the lobby are very old, doors, windows are old with no screens. It was really hot when we stayed there and the hotel does not have air conditioning. They brough us a small old fan in the room, but what kind of 5 star hotel does not have air conditioning? So, be prepared if you stay there in summer time. The other disapointing thing was the staff. Maybe this is a dutch culture, here is how I would describe them: they are nice to you, but not very friendly. They defenitly do not cater to you like 5 star hotels in U.S. Other dissapoinments, NO pay per view movies, you can get a DVD player for free at the lobby, but you have to bring your own movies :). I was also disapointed in the room service, I called around 9 PM and they had run out on all the 4 food items on the menu. I could only order salad. I was not impressed by the cleanliness of the hotel either. Lots of stains in the bathroom and furnuture in the room. Overall, I do not give them 5 stars for the negetive reasons I mentioned. I would stay in this hotel again for a good price and NOT in summer.

4 Thank SIAMM
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

The look of this hotel's public spaces are beautiful inside and out. The rooms are very good as well. The location of the hotel was not as good as I thought it would be, but it was not bad either. It is across from Central Station but far off to the left. It is a bout a 8 minute walk from the station even though it appears to be right across from the street. It took about 15 minutes to walk to Dam Square. It is a very long 25-30 minutes to walk to the Liedsplein. There definitely are plenty of hotels that are better located then this one.
Overall the hotel itself was great. No problems with the room or the public spaces, however there are a couple of things to point out.

Breakfast was ridiculously expensive.
Check in and Check out were very slow, and I arrived from NYC on an overnight flight at 8:00AM, and I could not get a room until 3:00PM. I don't fault them for this, but anyone coming on an overnight flight, don't plan to get any rest until the afternoon.
I would definitely recommend this hotel if the price is reasonable like mine was.

• 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Ron-from-NY
Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

The building is the star. The room was comfortable as you would expect but the bathroom didn't quite seem separate enough from the room. We stayed 3 nights and only had breakfast once because it was so expensive. Capsule coffee machine very welcome and we got a free minibar as well. Good for a treat.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

The building looks somewhat foreboding from the outside but the staff couldn't have offered a warmer welcome. The corridors are indeed warren-like but the rooms are gorgeous with incredibly high ceilings, comfortable beds and good wireless internet connection.

It's worth exploring the building and finding the beautiful glass atrium and worth eating in the restaurant too. The bar is light and cheerful and does nice snacks and the location can't be beaten.

I can't wait to return!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank MissF7
Newbury, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

At best the staff were disinterested. In fact they were arrogant. The room was ok, the restaurant was not great. It is very central but I would give it 3 out of 5 max.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business